HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting my new one I got coming through one. Before that I will probably send it off to get the barrel and maybe some of the piston parts nitrided and the barrel reprofiled. I have read of one instance where a user on here took his though a redback one course and went well. I was just wondering if anyone else has carried their MR though a carbine course and if so how did it hold up to the abuse. Thanks in advance for the help and input. It is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've had mine through a few, but I've not had the barrel reprofiled (yet, it's on the list). No failures other then magazine related and a few ammo failures. I'm a glutton for punishment and use cheap steel cased ammo during training courses, since you're not shooting very far for the most part and you only need to hit minute of man sized targets. If it wasn't for the mag issue I had or the bad ammo, I'd never had to do a malfunction clear, so that should give you an idea of the abuse.

The rifle did get dirty and scratched and banged around, but it's a rifle, not a faberge egg. It's heavy, but honestly there's nutjobs out there running lights and grip pods and such which make a standard M4 type carbine weigh as much on the barrel as the MR556 uncut. Unless you're somehow physically disabled you shouldn't have a problem humping the MR556 around for a day.

-W

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
If you're smart about how you outfit your stock MR556, it can be very manageable as is. Some examples:

Use a padded sling like the Vickers/BFG VCAS 2-pt

If you're going to buy a red dot, skip the PRO, M4, COMPm and go for the Micro T1 or H1

Use EMags or Standard GI aluminum to save weight over the HK steel mag. Avoid mag clamps and redi-mags obviously for weight savings

If you have white light (as you should), be smart about your choice. No sense in mounting a bulky light when something like an X300 or compact Scout 300 will be sufficient

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the input guys, I can't tell you how appreciated it is. I have no worries about the rifle getting bangs, scratches, and scuffs, it is a tool and will be put through its paces :).

On outfitting I have the following:

Vickers combat sling
(have yet to buy a quality RDS, and am looking at the T1, M4S, and somewhat an ACOG)
Stocking up on Emags as we speak along with some D&H mags as well
when it comes to lights, I was debating about the X300 or M600

Thanks again for the help guys :)

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Hopefully you're considering one of the lower power Compacts as 3.5 and 4x will be a hindrance in a carbine class. In the Hackathorn class I just attended, we never stepped beyond 40 yards from the targets. For most civies (save the ones in open country out west), a no mag red dot sight is the best bet for several reasons.

And unless you're going to run a 3x magnifier or NV behind the red dot, get the T1. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain in compactness and weight savings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I read about the T1, the more I like it. Seems to have a great battery life and a fairly sturdy build that can take abuse. Is there a preferred mount that everyone likes to run theirs in?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use a T1 on mine for all the carbine stuff. You can hit minute of man out to 300 yards with it pretty easily, for everything you'll see in a course, usually up to 50 yards with a few targets at 100 just to mix it up, it's all you need. An ACOG, while a great optic, will just slow you down.

I ran a course using just the irons as well, just to make sure I had some experience with them in case the T1 goes out. I usually keep a M620 on it, but I did remove it for most of the courses, save one indoor thing with Louis Awerbuck. Once the barrel is reprofiled it shouldn't be a problem. I admit though, after running a class with a SCAR it's hard not to get spoiled by a lightweight system.

-W

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
I went through a tactical carbine class with my 10.5" HK416 a few months before my accident. Though most shots were from within 40 yards, we did take shots at both 100 and 200 yards too, at steel. I used iron sights and 20-round Pmags. The weapon is equipped with the stock sling and an AFG. I had no troubles with the weapon from start to finish and I never missed steel on the long shots either. During this class, each weapon would be rotated through to other officers, and every shooter who handled the weapon was impressed. I would have no qualms running the exact same course with an MR556.

EDIT: I did NOT have the weapon equipped with the diopter sights. Instead, it was equipped with Troy flip-up front and rear sights. I do not like optics of any kind on my duty weapons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I understand what you are saying about a light weight system. When I take my Daniel Defense AR to some classes I get spoiled lol. The first time I held and shot the MR556 it took me off guard by the weight, but not so much where it was a nuisance. I have faith after the barrel profile job it will be on par with DI guns almost in terms of weight. Even if a little heavier I will be fine with that :). Thanks for the input about the ACOG, I'm trying to figure out if there is a specific mount I have to get (some people have mentioned an HK mount from what I've read). The T1 is looking real good along with a M4S I found for a damn good price.

Edit: Diesel, thanks for that input. I'm looking at getting some Troy flip-ups on mine as well. From what I read and heard from people, they seem to like those much better as well. Thanks again for the input sir, it is much appreciated and you guys are making me anxious to get it even more now lol :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Larue makes an "HK" mount for the T1.

I went with the American Defense (ADM) CSAV height mount, which is a absolute co-witness for the stock irons or the Troy Micros. I'm very happy with it, and it goes well with the ADM recon mount I have for the 1.5x-8x optic I run for other stuff.

-W

·
Registered
116 Posts
I took my MR223 (16.5") through a carbine class and it held up extremely well. No failures other than what was simulated with dummy rounds (pissed off the instructor). I did it with iron sights so I have no feedback about optics. The gun was bumped and banged and went through all the abuse one would expect in a two day basic carbine course (~800 to 1000 rounds, can't recall exactly). I could certainly tell the gun is front heavy I was able to do all the tasks well enough.

I'll be using the shorty (10.4") on a one day shorter course this weekend. I'll be using a T1 for the first time and am looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it went next week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I run the Larue 660HK mount on my T1, and the factory diopter sights on my MR556. The mount provides a lower 1/3 cowitness and is an excellent compliment to the factory sights. Even with the fixed sights, the sight picture through the T1 does not appear too cluttered. On top of that, the T1 in a Larue mount is very lightweight.

photo 3.JPG by Dodd5724, on Flickr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, I'm liking that setup you got. That's almost the setup I was thinking about doing. Thanks for providing the picture and feedback. It means a lot to me :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Can't recommend the barrel re-profile highly enough. Slims it down and the rifle balances great and looses its front heaviness.

Aimpoint T1 in the Larue lower 1/3 mount works great. If you like the diopter sights, this combo with a 93 rear drum set to the "V" notch makes for a very uncluttered sight picture even with fixed sights. The "V" notch blends almost perfectly into the sillhouette of the Aimpoint T1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot Hunter for taking the time to post. The barrel is going to be the first thing done with the re-profile job and nitriding. I think I'm pretty settled now on the T1 with the Larue 660 mount like Doddste posted a picture of (which I thank him again). I will have to check out the 93 rear drum and see if I like that over the Troys I have been eyeballing for a little bit now. Thanks again for the post :)

·
Banned
879 Posts
You seriously won't be dissapointed with a barrel re-profile and nitride.

I also had my barrel cut to 14.5 and pinned/welded a Gemtech Bi-lock to make it legal 16 inches. That helped a lot as well.

And if you are interested in getting the most accuracy out of your "combat rifle", I also performed two other functions on the barrel.

The first is that I used a machine bit, slightly larget then the bore diameter, and countersunk the muzzle by about 5mm. This ensured that the crown was extremely well protected and cut it at an exact 90 degrees.

And then before I sent all of the parts off for nitriding (I chose the QPQ version as offered by H&M Metal Processing), I polished the chamber and hand-lapped the bore with simichrome polishing compound.

All of these treatments, added with the barrel manufacturing processes and the standards of HK QC made for a "go-to" gun that can be sub 1/2 MOA if necessary.

Edit: I also second what HunterRose said about using the diopter sights with the rear drum changed out for a HK93 "V" notch. Just remember though that you'll have a shorter sight base on the MR556 so the range adjustments won't match up exactly.

With a shorter sight base (the sight base on an HK93 is 18.89 inches) the point of aim will cause a larger shift per aperature change then on the 93. This means that if you zero at 100, the longer ranges will have your shot going high, so as your distances increase, your "hold under" will become greater. I prefer verifying zero at 200, so my 3 and 4 aperature settings have slightly less of a hold under and the 1 setting has a slight hold over.

For what it's worth, I also try to mitigate this issue as much as possible by using an M27 11 inch rail to lengthen the sight base. One of the new Geissele 14.5 inch rails will do even more to mitigate the POA/POI variance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Grumpy for posting, I followed what you were doing in one of your threads and it made for a good read. Is there anyone in particular I can send off for the polishing of the chamber and hand lapping the bore with the simichrome polishing you speak of? I have never really attempted to do such a thing and would rather trust someone who has done this before over me lol. Along with the machine bit you mentioned (which sounds pretty nice) and the QPQ version of nitriding you mentioned I have a lot I want to get done now lol. Thanks again Grumpy for posting, and if there are any questions I hope I don't bother you with any dumb questions I may have :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts