HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the NRA convention I was taken by the P30 w/light LEM trigger. Am planning to purchase one, but can't decide if I should finance the deal by selling my P7 M8 or just keep the P7 and let it continue to appreciate, then sell at some later date. Of course money in hand now might bring more satisfaction than the possibility of more in the future. I can afford to keep the P7 AND buy the P30, but like Jack Benny, I'm cheap.

I just wonder it you guys think the P7 M8's will continue to go up in price, or if they have leveled off, or will they continue to go up even more.

I purchased the P7 new back in the early 80's, but never shot it much. Maybe a few hundred times. It never saw a holster, and lived in its original box in the safe. When I saw how their value had gone up I just didn't have the heart to shoot it. I'm the same way with the two Colt Woodsman .22's I bought new. The live in the safe and I shoot a Ruger .22 instead.

Since they're so much more common, when I get the P30, I've resolved to make it a shooter and not a safe queen.

So, the question is; how likely is the P7 to keep appreciating like it has been in the past.

Thanks,
Ed

"I never like to make predictions. Especially when they are about the future."

~ Yogi Berra

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it was new in the box I would say keep it. Since everyone who has one shoots theirs and new in the box is becoming more scarce by the day. Now I'm not saying they are not out there since I had 4 new in the box now down 2. If you have fired it and enjoy shooting it keep shooting it. If thre is one thing else you want then by all means "Jack" sell it an buy something you want to shoot and enjoy. Just my opinion nothing more. I love the P7 and have several so to have a safe queen really means nothing can't shoot them all. For what? After all they are all the same. In fact I carry one every day. Hope that helped in some way. A shooter is a shooter no matter what in the end. Collectors usually want mint specimen for there collection. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Supply and demand tells you that they will continue to appreciate due to the fact that they are no longer manufactured. That being said the time vs appreciation curve might not be within your time frame. Very few firearms should be looked at as investments but everyone does so differently. They are what you make of them. To me it's a tool whether it be for sport or defense. You have to decide what it means to you and act accordingly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would keep the P7 M8 and save up the cash for the P30.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think they will continue to go up maybe not like the past rate but with savings accounts running 0.5% and 5 year CDs running 2% it will definatly beat those rates by 5-10x. I would hang on to it at least until we have a gun friendly president, seems Obama is fueling a blistering hot gun industy right now.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would keep it. Since that pistol is not being made anymore, the supply is what it is.
But the demand seems to still be there.

I have a P7M13 and am holding on to it, mainly because I like the gun so much and because it's not something you come across everyday in your LGS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts