HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a recoil buffer housing for a .45 ACP P9S. I have already posted in the sections for "want to buy". I know this is a rare part. My question is manifold:

Has anyone commissioned a machine shop to duplicate a rare part for these pistols?

Is HK willing to share their specifications for a part they no longer make (specific dimensions, blueprints, type of steel, heat treating, etc.)?

Just trying to make my pistol into something more than a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,270 Posts
I am in need of a recoil buffer housing for a .45 ACP P9S. I have already posted in the sections for "want to buy". I know this is a rare part. My question is manifold:

Has anyone commissioned a machine shop to duplicate a rare part for these pistols?

Is HK willing to share their specifications for a part they no longer make (specific dimensions, blueprints, type of steel, heat treating, etc.)?

Just trying to make my pistol into something more than a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks all.
I told you that if you run into a dead end, I'd get you the help you need. Just let me know when you are ready.
Unfortunately, you are not going to get original technical data information from H&K. Reverse engineering is the best a shop can hope to do.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Once you find someone that cares and will take on the project you should consider doing a "Group Buy" to offset cost. I would start with Nefarious Arms. Marvin is extremely talented and a smart business man (not so common in the gunsmithing world). He could do it, but to offset cost the order will need to be more than just a couple.

My two cents

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, James. I'm open to suggestions. 4C Dragon suggested Nefarious Arms, but recommended a purchase of several to offset the cost. What do you think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once you find someone that cares and will take on the project you should consider doing a "Group Buy" to offset cost. I would start with Nefarious Arms. Marvin is extremely talented and a smart business man (not so common in the gunsmithing world). He could do it, but to offset cost the order will need to be more than just a couple.

My two cents
I know he mentioned in an email response to me a couple months ago that there was a HK 416/556 part he was considering manufacturing "in a couple" months but that was predicated on the assumption he would get caught up on his work. Therein lays the conundrum, a talented gunsmith/machinist is probably never going to be caught up on their work due to demand outstripping the ability to supply work/parts. Hopefully he will make this elusive part, but I am not sure if he has ever publicly mentioned his plans so I won't say what it is because I don't want him to get bum-rushed by a bunch of people.

I certainly agree on the economies of scale part, hard to justify a one-off piece unless the buyer has deep pockets. Lots of time in making a quality, to spec machined part.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I sat down with a talented machinist one night and went through a P9S. Not surprisingly, he was most interested in how each part was made, and marveled at the workmanship and material quality. When I handed him the buffer housing he just shook his head and said he could make them but it would take about 30-40 hours given the tolerances and how part of it was folded sheet metal that was mates to the more substantial collar.

Given his assessment, and lacking the specific tooling HK had when making them during the '70s and '80s, your best bet may wel be engaging a machine shop mill down a 9mm buffer housing's collar to match the spec of the 45. the 9mm housing is more readily available and the set-up and millwork won't take much time at all.

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
The buffer housing, or Puffergehaeuse, as well as most other parts, are still available in Germany - but only used. Firearm parts like that with a wholesale value of under $100 can be imported without filling out ATF Form 6 and the cost should stay below $100 for just that part, even with shipping.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Yup, seen that after I accidentally hit the send button, due to the five-year-old on my back performing free-climbing...

But maybe it is worth while to ask...

·
Registered
335 Posts
When Surefire discontinued the MR-09 picatinny mounting system for the HK USP, I had an absolute panic meltdown, and did considerable research into finding a reputable firm which could duplicate that product.

Shortly afterwards, GG&G introduced their updated HK USP rail with a true M1913 picatinny system that will mount my preferred Surefire X300 Ultra light. I have actually come to prefer the GG&G model because it does not have the back/forth play of the Surefire MR-09, and the slightly greater weight gives reduced recoil and enhanced accuracy.

Because of the release of the GG&G M1913 HK USP rail system, I did not pursue my project of duplicating the Surefire MR-09 to completion, but of all the websites I looked at over several months, the three firms that I was most impressed with for custom machining and manufacturing, in no particular order, are as follows:

https://www.digitalmachining.com/ This one in particular said they will manufacture as many units as you want, from one to whatever number, and specialize in parts that are small enough to fit in a shoebox.
It is run by actual degreed mechanical engineers, which is very impressive, and they also have an FFL.

https://www.egwguns.com/oem-capabilities This firm is well known for their high-quality Colt M1911-A1 parts, but also does custom machining and prototyping.

https://lobos-industries.com/ David Lobos was the first person to release a metal VP9/40 trigger, and also worked with HKPRO members “Sextus” and “Gator33” on the clone of the Surefire light mount for the HK Mark 23. Having now successfully completed two H&K niche projects, I’m sure he would be very willing to do a third, depending on the cost.

Money talks, and it ultimately comes down to how badly someone wants or needs to have it.

Case in point: after I tried the Solum Tool +3 extension for the USP9 compact, I was so impressed with the product, I went to Stephen and David Solum with a request for +2 extensions for the USP45. In the immortal tradition of “The Godfather,” I gave them an offer they could not refuse, and said I would pre-pay for 50 units, and donate five factory new USP45 magazines for destruction and endurance testing. They enthusiastically accepted the offer, even sending me plastic 3D printed prototypes, and initial metal prototypes, before sending the final finished product. The end result exceeded all of my expectations, and the increased leverage from the magazine extension gives me enhanced accuracy and reduced recoil, in addition to the impressive 14+1 firepower. While I grew up shooting the USP9 and USP40 models, this custom +2 magazine extension makes the USP45 my all-time favorite of all, hands down.

Whatever you decide to do, always remember first and foremost the quote from Alec Baldwin in “Pearl Harbor” (2001): “Victory belongs to those who believe in it the most, and who believe in it the longest.”

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent suggestions from all. Having the 9 MM housing (which is available, but pricey) milled down to match the .45 ACP part seems to make the most sense. Don't know if that's feasible but I'll look into it.

I appreciate the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts