HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The birdcage brake that came with my 16"upper will not come off.It will not budge.Anyone out there remove theirs,and how you do it?

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Vice block and 3/4" open-end wrench.

Maybe it's a sign to not use the brake ;). They aren't necessary and won't make you any new friends at the range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just might be a sign,haha.I'm gonna try the vice block and maybe heat up the brake.Do you know if they use red loctite when they thread these on?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Use some man muscle. You can just stick a screwdriver through the cage and use that to crank it off too, if you don't care about preserving the cage. You aren't going to twist the barrel, you'll snap your arms off first. Heat does help. Using a heat gun will do the trick.

-W

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Take the rifle apart and put the upper in a freezer for a few hours then try it again. I always re-install brakes and hiders using anti-sieze with copper particles and you will never have that problem again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've removed two. Both were on there good. There is no bonding agent used they just appear to be torqued well.
I wrapped electrical tape around the barrels, used wood blocks in my vise and took them off with a 3/4" wrench.
The first one I did by hand the second one I used a dead blow hammer to strike the wrench to jar the flash hider loose.
I installed crush washers and A2 FH's on both but will soon replace one with a AAC Blackout.
Just support the upper/barrel securely and you'll be good to go.

TC

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It just might be a sign,haha.I'm gonna try the vice block and maybe heat up the brake.Do you know if they use red loctite when they thread these on?
My AAC came with rockset to use

·
Registered
159 Posts
Vice block and 3/4" open-end wrench.

Maybe it's a sign to not use the brake ;). They aren't necessary and won't make you any new friends at the range.
lmao, they look so much better though! You can do what he said and try heating it up as mentioned... They were put on to stay on so it will take some work to get it off!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The birdcage brake that came with my 16"upper will not come off.It will not budge.Anyone out there remove theirs,and how you do it?
i'm jelous :) i want a suppressor :D
i have used a gas portable blowpipe, and wrench.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is this a right to tight/ left to loosen?
yes i have a normal thread. i think the us version have the same, only difference its the thread pitch i have 15x1

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have 3 for my personal use. 2 were fairly normal, 1 was insanely, ridiculously tight. It was so tight, I had to cut the hider in half and use a special socket to engage the "teeth" from the A2 slots and an impact wrench with the air compressor on max to get it off!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have 3 for my personal use. 2 were fairly normal, 1 was insanely, ridiculously tight. It was so tight, I had to cut the hider in half and use a special socket to engage the "teeth" from the A2 slots and an impact wrench with the air compressor on max to get it off!
you have cut the flash hider for remove?

·
Registered
950 Posts
In that strange case, yes, and with an impact wrench max'ed out. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how one of my three personal MR's was.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts