HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has had thier SL8 mag well converted to G36 by HDPS. I was trying to see how well thier fill job looks and if anybody has had any problems with it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
From their finished rifles listed on Gunbroker from time to time, they look to do a good job. For price comparison, contact Chopstix Kid and Tbostic on this forum. Tbostic did my mag well conversion and I am extremely happy how he filled in the gap from the previous AR mag well.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I had my received milled out by Tbostic and steel reinforced. Cost me about $300 after shipping and insurance too and fro. I'm extremely happy with the results. No visible seams or anything, and rock solid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you get this milled for G36 or for Ar mags? I am considering this option by Tbostic now and thinking if I get it milled for G36 and then fit an AR magwell, I wonder if it would be wobbly... are you running G36 mags or AR mags?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it an either/or thing about the G36 vs AR15 mags?? I guess I was under the impression that milling the receiver for G36 mags would also work with AR15 mags with the proper mag well, but then I am a n00b to these guns. Am I incorrect about this? It would be . . . convenient to know before I drop a bundle on something that doesn't behave as expected. Thanks, guys!

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
I believe that milling the receiver for G36 mags would also allow the use of AR mags with the proper magwell, but milling just enough for AR mags may not be enough for G36 mags.

Regarding the fit, in my experience the AR magwell (at least the SW/TN/BMP one) is pretty loose anyway, so you'll get some play no matter what.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My only frame of reference is the SL8 single stack mag and its magwell. This pair seems to keep the magazine pretty tight and without play. I can imagine that if the bulk of placement/holding of the mag in proper position is done by the magwell as opposed to the upper receiver opening area, then as long as the magwell is tight to the magazine, one would be ok. I would imagine this to be the case for the G36 magwell and the G36 magazine guessing from the stand point of HK quality and machining tolerances. Now, if AR mags are held there looser, I wonder what that would have on the feeding efficiency, let alone the BHO operation, as I hear a lot of cases where people report the BHO function to not work right. Is there a tighter Ar magwells available? Any opinions on the Northeastern arms magwell?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My opinion on the NEA well is that it is solid, but i am not fond of the finish. It is aluminum and doesnt match the finish of the polymer at all. The SW has a better finish match but it isnt as stout. I guess if it was all vanity then the conversion magicians could add some thickness to the SW and make it ideal. IMO, way too much effort

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I'm running AR mags, and got it milled for AR mags. Shouldn't be much different for G36 mags, and I don't think it would be excessively wobbly. You could ask him, I'm sure he'll know.

USGI mags lock up pretty good with a tiny bit of play, and they drop free nicely. I typically use Israeli Orlite AR mags in my SL8, because they are pre-ban, black plastic, and match the look of the SL8 nicely. They even have guide holes for drilling out if you want to make the rounds visible ala the G36 mags.

The steel reinforcment is CLUTCH. The work needs to be seen to be believed. He got my gun back to me in record time. All in all, a great experience with Tbostic and as soon as I figure out what I want to do with the rest of the rifle, it may well go back to him a second time for a barrel chop and thread job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just received the Northeastern Arms mag well in the mail today. I agree, while the shape and the general idea of it match well with the original magwell, the color and finish are more grey-ish and different. I feel it looks more utilitarian, but very solid though. It can actually be pushed in with the original mag release still in place, but ideally can be milled 'slightly', like 1mm off the bottom part in thickness where it contacts the mag release paddle to fit this if one was to keep the original mag release in place. Also received the HDPS new G36 bolt (US part). This one is highly professional looking and fits very nicely, a very well made piece. Now all that remains is the receiver milling...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts