HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My USC arrived back today from Ed @ HDPS. When I sent it in a couple of weeks ago Ed promised a delivery by the end of September. He not only came in ahead of time, but his craftsmanship and service (and the fact that he answers email) are first rate.

If you are on the fence about where to send your USC, have Ed do everything. He also engraved one of my AR Lowers for a future project. He did some sort of duracoat-like finish after the AR Lower engraving that looks great.

Huge, huge +1 for Ed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This started life as a gray, neutered model with sarah brady mags. My wife bought it for me when our son was born (baby daddy gift). I did have the Top Notch M3 kit on it (which functioned fine) but once I got the tax stamp back I decided to go with Ed.

I really wish I owned a second USC, just to have Ed convert it. This gun has become the coolest that I own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you please share what services you had performed and the costs?
I don't recall the exact costs, but Ed has everything listed on his site.

Engrave Receiver with my LLC (finest quality workmanship I might add)
HDPS 8" Barrel
FBI 2 position UMP semi lower
UMP folding stock
HDPS transition piece (marries usc receiver to UMP stock/lower)
Mill out area in receiver to accept UMP Mags
re-dye receiver after engraving
Fill in area in UMP lower with some sort of black resin
install fire control group parts

I may be leaving one or two things out as far as parts/labor.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ed is THE man he was a big part of my build up and I cant wait to give him the credit hes due.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just ordered mine from Ed recently - can't wait to get it. HK sucks for not making these themselves for public consumption - thanks to Ed for doing it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You would be foolish to have anyone but Ed do this. I have had a number of guns customized (barrel threading, apply finish, etc) and Ed is at the top of the list of people who work on guns.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The gun looks great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
www.hdps.org
i asked a few newbi questions and he didnt even respond to me!
That's odd, I found him to be highly responsive. Sometimes it takes a full day to get an answer back. I presume he is also bogged down with work.

Post your questions here or send me an IM and I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's odd, I found him to be highly responsive. Sometimes it takes a full day to get an answer back. I presume he is also bogged down with work.

Post your questions here or send me an IM and I'll do my best to answer.
i told him i dont understand all the parts he has listed on his website and i wanted to do a conversion. so i asked how much for the conversion using the parts he would use on his own gun?

i asked this way because i dont know the differences between all the blocks and i also dont know what parts i need. all i realy want is for the gun to take UMP mags i actually like the USC as is excpet for the 10 rounders.
js1050 thanks for your time with this newbi stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all i realy want is for the gun to take UMP mags i actually like the USC as is excpet for the 10 rounders.
js1050 thanks for your time with this newbi stuff.
In order to take UMP Mags, you need a UMP lower (which doesn't work with the USC Thumb hole stock) and a UMP folding stock.

Because you are de-neutering an imported gun, you must have a US-Made parts count in order to be 922 compliant (it's a sporting arms litmus in US Code Title 18).

You have two options. Pay $200 to the BATFE (Dept of the Treasury) and add your USC to the NFA Registry. Then you are exempt from 922 parts compliancy. If you do not register as an SBR (short barreled rifle) then you have to do the parts count dance.

The SBR Route is the way to go if you can swing it.

Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
In order to take UMP Mags, you need a UMP lower (which doesn't work with the USC Thumb hole stock) and a UMP folding stock.

Because you are de-neutering an imported gun, you must have a US-Made parts count in order to be 922 compliant (it's a sporting arms litmus in US Code Title 18).

You have two options. Pay $200 to the BATFE (Dept of the Treasury) and add your USC to the NFA Registry. Then you are exempt from 922 parts compliancy. If you do not register as an SBR (short barreled rifle) then you have to do the parts count dance.

The SBR Route is the way to go if you can swing it.

Jason
ha ha no SBR here i wish.
would i just ask him for a lower (witch one is best)
a folding stock and the mags what other parts do i need or is that it?
do you also know the cost for parts and labor?
sorry to be such a retard bro and thanks for your help. if i do this ill make sure ED gives you a cut of the profit.lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha ha no SBR here i wish.
would i just ask him for a lower (witch one is best)
a folding stock and the mags what other parts do i need or is that it?
do you also know the cost for parts and labor?
sorry to be such a retard bro and thanks for your help. if i do this ill make sure ED gives you a cut of the profit.lol.
This is from his site, anything marked "compliance part" pertains to 922r (foreign parts count). If something cannot be imported with certain features, you have to use US Made parts to have a legal gun.

$185 HK UMP folding stock (IN STOCK)
$295 HK UMP FBI lower (IN STOCK)
$185 Made in USA stock block "B"- (IN STOCK) (this marries a USC receiver with the folding stock)

$ Made in USA UMP/USC tigger (compliance part) (IN STOCK SOON)
$9 Made in USA UMP mag floor plate (compliance part) (IN STOCK)
$18 Made in USA UMP mag follower (compliance part) (IN STOCK)
$265 USA made by HDPS USMP barrel 16"(compliance part)- (IN STOCK)

$ 35 labor to turn UMP lower to work together with USC upper --( using Stock Block B)
$ 15 Replace internals
$ 18 Mill upper receiver to accept the UMP Mag
$ 75 Mill Rt. and Lt. UMP and lower vents in front receiver
$ 60 Dye Job (Industrial Dye)
$ 25 Labor to completely close with polymer Release Lever Catch front section in the UMP lower (prevent the lower to be used in full auto function, most call it wrongly as Auto Sear)

$1185

If you have never removed/replaced the internals on a USC you are fortunate. I've done it one time and it took me awhile to figure it out.

This is my best guess on pricing based upon what's listed on Ed's site. Rest assured, Ed will not convert a gun that doesn't have the correct 922 parts counts. That alone is priceless.

It's a chunk of change, but well worth it. Once someone is making US-made UMP mags, the entire mag assembly (floor plate, housing, follower) should count as 3 us parts. That may save having to buy a US made barrel.

It's so much easier to pay the $200 tax stamp and not have to worry about the ridiculous parts counts. It's an insurance policy that also allows you to have an evil short barrel.

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts