HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was a big proponent of heavy LEM. I always thought that heavier LEM would allow me better trigger control than the light LEM. I *THOUGHT* that a transition of the light LEM from "free Slack" to sear engagement was too abrupt. I theorized that it would make it hard to fire in rapid fire.

Well...after shooting heavy LEM for a while now. I was having difficulties with, what I thought was, flinching. My groups were string vertically and little to the left.

Last weekend, Just for kicks ... I changed to Light LEM. And guess what !! My group shrunk.... I'm shooting approximately half dollar groups now at 5 yards... (I'll always pull a few...but generically) So, it turns out that I wasn't flinching....not really.....I was pushing (if that is the correct term), because I was fighting a heavy trigger.

Huh ...what do you know. I can even (half way) reliably hit 7 inch targets at 20 yards now. (max at my range.) I turned out to be a better shooter than I thought :440:

I'm even thinking about sending it out for a trigger job now.

Ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have LEM trigger and as of now, can't shoot it as good as my glocks. I've had to alter my grip due to ambi slide release lever and learn the longer reset/heavier pull. I've been debating sending my P30 to Gray Guns for a trigger job. My groups also like yours but low right (lefty). Groups have slowly got tighter but nothing like through my glocks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As far as I'm concerned variant 1 should be Light LEM/hybrid. I've always shot my Glock 19 better than my DA/SA USPc .45 and it's because of the trigger. Light LEM changes that big time, I can't wait to swap my V1 trigger out and make it a Light LEM/hybrid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can I ask how fast are you shooting for the half dollar size groups at 5 yards? Is this slow fire? Accuracy drawing from holster (first shot < 2 sec? < 1.5 sec? ~1 sec?)? How much time between shots?

I'm still using V2 and haven't really seen a need to use V1 (although I have the springs). Slow fire, V2 is fine for me -- 1" 5 shot groups at 5-7 yards. But I'm wondering if V1 would provide any benefit shooting at speed - drawing, split times for rapid fire. If not, I'm fine with V2.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask how fast are you shooting for the half dollar size groups at 5 yards? Is this slow fire? Accuracy drawing from holster (first shot < 2 sec? < 1.5 sec? ~1 sec?)? How much time between shots?

I'm still using V2 and haven't really seen a need to use V1 (although I have the springs). Slow fire, V2 is fine for me -- 1" 5 shot groups at 5-7 yards. But I'm wondering if V1 would provide any benefit shooting at speed - drawing, split times for rapid fire. If not, I'm fine with V2.
I'm shooting the gun already out of the holster and shooting slow as I want. I'm ending up shooting a round every 1 ~ 1.5 second. This gives me about a half dollar grouping.

I still need to work on shooting at speed, but I'm happy that I seem to be getting my basic marksman skill finally down some what. I think I can really start to work on things other than basic marksman skills. I've gotten so much better than when I started little over a year ago. It's been a fun trip. But I have so much further to go.

To your point, I haven't shot a practical shooting scenario with the light LEM setup, so it's entirely possible that I'll hate the light LEM in that sort of environment. I'll let you know when I make up my mind about that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got to shoot my light LEM P30 last night for the first time............aahhhhhhh heaven.

My results were about the same as yours. I bought it as a V2. Ordered the springs the second I bought the gun. They both arrived the same morning. I was supposed to compare side by side a PPQ that a buddy was bringing. I shot it last week and must say I impressed myself. When I got there I shot mine first. When it came time to try his I said screw it and kept shooting mine. Put about 300 rounds through it. Should have quit after about 200 as I was getting tired and cross-eyed. It took me about 50 to get comfortable with it. Was making some fantastic 10 shot groups (for me anyway).

I also took a S&W Shield that was new and hadn't shot yet, three Sigs, and a Kahr. I never picked any of them up. My wife shot them all but I didn't.

And for those that say the LEM is hard or impossible to shoot: My wife picked up my P30 while I was taking a breather. She loaded it up. Got on target. Started pulling the trigger. Got it back where all the slack was out of it.............and layed it down. She looked back at me and yelled if she was doing some thing wrong. I walked over, unloaded it, and showed her the takeup, break, and reset. Couldn't even talk to her for the other 20 or so people shooting. She then emptied a 15 round magazine slowly into about a 3 inch hole at about 7 yards. (sometimes she pisses me off:wink:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got to shoot my light LEM P30 last night for the first time............aahhhhhhh heaven.
~~I also took a S&W Shield that was new and hadn't shot yet, three Sigs, and a Kahr. I never picked any of them up. My wife shot them all but I didn't.
You know you really like the gun, when you have other new guns, but don't touch them at all....

They say variety is the spice of life, but some times.... you just like what you have and don't need nothing else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You know you really like the gun, when you have other new guns, but don't touch them at all....

They say variety is the spice of life, but some times.... you just like what you have and don't need nothing else.
I will get around to shooting them...........maybe.

Honestly I wanted to get a good feel for the P30 as it's my new carry weapon. I was very pleased at how it handled. Never had a malfunction of any sort. Fired 6 different types/weights of ammunition a total of 300 rounds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I will get around to shooting them...........maybe.

Honestly I wanted to get a good feel for the P30 as it's my new carry weapon. I was very pleased at how it handled. Never had a malfunction of any sort. Fired 6 different types/weights of ammunition a total of 300 rounds.
Did you really expect to have a malfunction? It is an H&K, only gun I'd carry out of the box before testing. Have nothing but faith and confidence in H&K products.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you really expect to have a malfunction? It is an H&K, only gun I'd carry out of the box before testing. Have nothing but faith and confidence in H&K products.
No offense, but until I fire ANY gun, I assume it doesn't work. Especially if I carry it. I have the utmost confidence in HK also. But it's still a machine made on an assembly line. Any gun can screw up. I think it's less likely with HK than with a lot of others. But with my luck I won't take the chance.:wink:

I never expected a problem. But I have read where some P30s don't care for 115 gr FMJ until broke in. 95% or more of what I fired was just that. I shot S&B, WWB, Remington UMC, and even a few Tula. If it had bobbled a little I wouldn't have thought much about it. But it didn't. I also shot a few 124gr Ranger +P and some Winchester Bonded I had. Couldn't tell that much difference in any of them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No offense, but until I fire ANY gun, I assume it doesn't work. Especially if I carry it. I have the utmost confidence in HK also. But it's still a machine made on an assembly line. Any gun can screw up. I think it's less likely with HK than with a lot of others. But with my luck I won't take the chance.:wink:

I never expected a problem. But I have read where some P30s don't care for 115 gr FMJ until broke in. 95% or more of what I fired was just that. I shot S&B, WWB, Remington UMC, and even a few Tula. If it had bobbled a little I wouldn't have thought much about it. But it didn't. I also shot a few 124gr Ranger +P and some Winchester Bonded I had. Couldn't tell that much difference in any of them.
No offense taken, I said it kinda tongue in cheek. I really do have that kind of confidence in H&K, but I always test out my equipment first and train regularly with it.

Didn't know the P30 starts life finnicky, I've only dry fired the P30, feels great in hand but I despise the reset, so I think I'll be sticking with the USP platform, might give the HK platform a try to, I hear they're a dream mix of ergo and great trigger, plus I'm a .45 guy anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
No offense taken, I said it kinda tongue in cheek.

I've only dry fired the P30, feels great in hand but I despise the reset, so I think I'll be sticking with the USP platform, might give the HK platform a try to, I hear they're a dream mix of ergo and great trigger, plus I'm a .45 guy anyway.
Gotcha. I have actually talked to people in the past that carried a gun long enough to start showing holster wear and the gun had never been fired. I 'm not like some people I have heard in that a gun must be able to shoot 500-1000 rounds before its considered reliable. Any gun of any brand I have had, and I have had many, showed problems if there were going to be any in the first couple hundred rounds. Usually the first few magazines.

Please keep this in mind. The P30 shoots a lot better than they dry fire. I admit that when fondling mine, the reset was a bit long for my liking. But when actually shooting, it feels great. I have said before that I don't know where all this reset crap came from. Nobody cared about it ten years ago. I admit the PPQ shoots great. But I honestly release the trigger probably two to three time the distance needed to reset it. I have SRT and non-SRT Sigs. I shoot them all the same. If anything the SRT Sigs seem to have a grittier DA pull. I can do a mag dump with the LEM P30 about as fast as I can with anything else.

To me the break is whats important. And my V1 P30 has a very crisp, clean break with not much of any overtravel. It's kind of like shooting my Sigs in single action, only with a lot more takeup. About the only shots I pulled the other night was when the guy next to me fired off what I can only assume was a S&W 500 or .50 AE Desert Eagle. I don't know of any other handguns that would have that much percussion. I would just stop shooting till I heard him lay whatever it was down.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gotcha. I have actually talked to people in the past that carried a gun long enough to start showing holster wear and the gun had never been fired. I 'm not like some people I have heard in that a gun must be able to shoot 500-1000 rounds before its considered reliable. Any gun of any brand I have had, and I have had many, showed problems if there were going to be any in the first couple hundred rounds. Usually the first few magazines.

Please keep this in mind. The P30 shoots a lot better than they dry fire. I admit that when fondling mine, the reset was a bit long for my liking. But when actually shooting, it feels great. I have said before that I don't know where all this reset crap came from. Nobody cared about it ten years ago. I admit the PPQ shoots great. But I honestly release the trigger probably two to three time the distance needed to reset it. I have SRT and non-SRT Sigs. I shoot them all the same. If anything the SRT Sigs seem to have a grittier DA pull. I can do a mag dump with the LEM P30 about as fast as I can with anything else.

To me the break is whats important. And my V1 P30 has a very crisp, clean break with not much of any overtravel. It's kind of like shooting my Sigs in single action, only with a lot more takeup. About the only shots I pulled the other night was when the guy next to me fired off what I can only assume was a S&W 500 or .50 AE Desert Eagle. I don't know of any other handguns that would have that much percussion. I would just stop shooting till I heard him lay whatever it was down.
I'm sure the P30 is great, one day when I have some extra cash I'll probably buy one in Light LEM format and have it sent to Gray's to get the reset shortened. For me, reset is a big deal, I like short resets, makes follow up shots much quicker and accurate, at least for me it does.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm sure the P30 is great, one day when I have some extra cash I'll probably buy one in Light LEM format and have it sent to Gray's to get the reset shortened. For me, reset is a big deal, I like short resets, makes follow up shots much quicker and accurate, at least for me it does.
To each their own. Everyone likes what they like. I would love to send my P30 to Bruce. And the cost of the service I don't mind. But when you add the shipping both ways to the cost of the service, I have a hard time getting myself to do it. (yes i'm cheap).

If I ever have the opportunity to shoot a Grayguns LEM I may change my mind about the cost. If anyone in the East Tennessee area would like to try a V1 LEM P30, I try to go to Frontier or Coal Creek atleast once a month with friends and shoot. Would be more than happy to let you try it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick Question for you all, I also have a P30 V2, and recently ordered the Light Firing Pin Block Spring and Light Trigger Return Spring in order to lighten up the heavy LEM a bit.
Is this a gunsmith thing or is it relatively easy for a guy to do this at the kitchen table? I appreciate your guidance.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quick Question for you all, I also have a P30 V2, and recently ordered the Light Firing Pin Block Spring and Light Trigger Return Spring in order to lighten up the heavy LEM a bit.
Is this a gunsmith thing or is it relatively easy for a guy to do this at the kitchen table? I appreciate your guidance.
It is something you can do yourself -- I don't know if I would call it relatively easy. I had no problem with the FPBS (although one recent member got in a mess with that when they forgot to put the pin back in before reassembling the slide), but the light TRS can be a bit of a PITA. The key is patience, steady nerves, and four hands operating simultaneously! Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you follow directions well the fpbs isn't tough. The trs is a pita, but if you have the right tools it's definitely doable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Burntorange..per your mention, is there some sort of directions or process noted anywhere?
Just got the two springs in the mail, I'm ready to tear in to it.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Burntorange..per your mention, is there some sort of directions or process noted anywhere?
Just got the two springs in the mail, I'm ready to tear in to it.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/40627-p2000-sk-uspc-lem-trigger-job-part-1-a.html

Make sure you lift one of the TRS legs before pulling the slide release lever from the frame completely. And lift it up again when you re-install the slide release lever.

ETA: I hope you ordered to correct Light TRS for your P30 as the one you need is not the same one as the other guns (USP, USPc, P2000, P2000SK, etc.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts