HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen a guy post a vp70z for sale. It looks like a George Jetson pistol!
Cool lookin' gun and it IS an H+K!
He has it listed for $850. Should I buy it?
I know nothing about it, though.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,880 Posts
I seen a guy post a vp70z for sale. It looks like a George Jetson pistol!
Cool lookin' gun and it IS an H+K!
He has it listed for $850. Should I buy it?
I know nothing about it, though.
This price is high unless it's new/unfired. I've seen them in good condition for $650, I think right here on this forum. Regardless, it's not a shooter's gun - awful trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Great innovative gun in many ways. That said the trigger is god awful, your trigger finger and forearm will be wore out after a range session. I have one merely for collecting purposes. It does look cool, it was the handgun used as the sidearm of the colonial marines in alien, I assume due to its futuristic looks

·
Registered
968 Posts
that does seem alittle high on the price I have seen a few nice ones for $600-$650, but they were not new in box, unfired.

·
Registered
200 Posts
While the price doesn't seem inordinate given the gun's NIB condition/status, they have a reputation for having difficult to use/master triggers-they were primarily designed to be a submachine pistol (in the literal sense), with an attached stock/holster providing the fully automatic mechanism connection. Use in a semi-automatic or single-shot mode is fraught with challlenges; also I suspect that magazines are scarce and expensive. Caveat emptor...

Best, Jon

·
Maximum effort
830 Posts
You remember how much good it did Gorman...

Gorman_VP70.jpg

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,880 Posts
Great innovative gun in many ways. That said the trigger is god awful, your trigger finger and forearm will be wore out after a range session. I have one merely for collecting purposes. It does look cool, it was the handgun used as the sidearm of the colonial marines in alien, I assume due to its futuristic looks
You remember how much good it did Gorman...

View attachment 81577
@Clausewitz and @LCSO264 you guys are awesome! 2000 internets for each of you plus one free mention on HKPro! Clausewitz you are my P7 idol too, but I guess I don't rate!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had one back in the day. I paid $300 for one used and enjoyed shooting it. At the time, it seemed fun because it was different. I would pay no more than $500 these days and only to collect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
With the trigger spring kit installed, the pull goes from horrible to just dreadful :D

That said, it's actually fairly accurate if you can work around that awful trigger. And not too heavy considering it's a blowback 18 shot handgun.

I believe it's the FIRST polymer framed pistol. Ever.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm just about the only guy whoever carried and liked the VP70Z on the forum. Practicing with it and it's different trigger can be done to satisfaction. One needs to understand it was absolutely revolutionary for it's time, and owning one back then freaked people out. I'd be happy to see a pic of the one for sale. Look for thin, green foam in the box, and the manual and test target and a spare mag. Ask to take the firing pin out for inspection (often not cleaned). Some had a spent cartridge sealed sent in the box.

Search my posts- I did a round count comparison between the VP70Z and current HK's that suddenly makes training and carrying one look more appealing in these days of facing goons with AK47's in the mall.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Let's not forget, the VP70 is first polymer frame handgun ever manufactured, 1969. Long before the G17, circa 1980'ish I believe, which is often incorrectly cited as the first polymer framed handgun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I always thought they were cool looking, and a unique piece of history. I even found myself bidding on a few several months back, but was always outbid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked one up a few years ago. My very first hk. It's in the box like new, don't believe its ever been fired other then factory. You can diffently tell the polymers that followed were based off it. Really like it but I'm having to sell it to do a major home repair. I'll buy another soon as I can. I really want to shoot one. All I've heard is the trigger is horrible etc. I say who cares if the trigger is 20lbs, if you can't have fun shooting a gun because of a heavy trigger you are just to weak or may need to be medicated. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
For what it is worth, you can clean up the trigger some (not much really, but noticeable) with a Wolff spring kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts