HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try to give you the short version.

I carry my P30 in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim AIWB. It was actually ordered for my P2000 but fits my P30 perfectly. I notice that after a few days of carrying in it I have a slight coating of almost leather dust on the top of the front sight. I watch the front sight on the P30 as I am holstering it slowly. It doesn't appear to be rubbing the leather, and there is no friction from it when drawing. But it is very close to the sight channel in the holster.

My question is how much taller are Heinie sights than standard P30 sights?

They look very tall from pictures, which is all I have to go on. I am pretty sure I saw that they make suppressor height sights, but every picture I have seen makes them look tall. I really don't want to have to spend another $100 on another one of these holsters if I switch to Heinies.

Rhino I was thinking you had Heinies and you carried using Garrett's.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Call Heinie. They will tell you exactly how tall they are. That said, ANY holster manufacturer should have given you plenty or sight clearance in your holster.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Measured the difference between stock and the Heinie #3950's at one time..

Stock is .155
Heine is about .216

And I've had multiple holsters .. rub the top of the front sight when being drawn from the holster.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Measured the difference between stock and the Heinie #3950's at one time..

Stock is .155
Heine is about .216

And I've had multiple holsters .. rub the top of the front sight when being drawn from the holster.
Thanks Barnaby. I think the pictures I have seen where they are close-ups are just making them look a little taller than they actually are.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some extra cruddy pics I snapped for another thread comparing my old OEM sights with the standard Heinies I have installed:

Yeah, no scale, but it should give you an okay visual guess, especially with the info barnaby posted.
Thanks for the pictures. Thats pretty cut and dry right there. I think they may rub the leather on the inside of the holster just a bit. I guess the worst case is it would just eat the leather out of the inside of the sight channel.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I ordered a tall sight channel cut on my Garrett Industries Holsters, since Heinies are a bit taller than Meps / Trijicons. It clears the Heinie easily.

It used to be an option on their website but I don't see it anymore, but I personally would add it in the custom notes when I order again.

The first holster I got from them for my HK45C (fits my P30 too) didn't come with it, althought I ordered it that way - they replaced it quickly and without issue.

For you, I'd either sell the holster here to someone who wants a regular one / runs Meps-Trijicons, and buy a new on and specify a high sight cut - or overtime I guess itll stop after the leather is worn away from the sight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a tall sight channel cut on my Garrett Industries Holsters, since Heinies are a bit taller than Meps / Trijicons. It clears the Heinie easily.

It used to be an option on their website but I don't see it anymore, but I personally would add it in the custom notes when I order again.

The first holster I got from them for my HK45C (fits my P30 too) didn't come with it, althought I ordered it that way - they replaced it quickly and without issue.

For you, I'd either sell the holster here to someone who wants a regular one / runs Meps-Trijicons, and buy a new on and specify a high sight cut - or overtime I guess itll stop after the leather is worn away from the sight.
Thanks for dropping in Rhino.:wink:

So was the first one you received for your 45c real tight in that area? Don't really want to trash this holster by snagging the sight on it. Would rather not spend another $100 if I don't have to. But will before I trash this one and make it worthless, not to mention cause more wear and tear on the new sights while it's eating the leather out of the holster.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, the first holster I ordered I asked for tall sight channel (ordered through Tucker Gunleather before they split up) but it came with a normal cut that would even pull a little leather off of standard height sights at the bottom of the holster - Heinie wouldn't have work well with it at all (I always order tall sight channels,as it adds nothing substantial to the size of the holster but you have the option of putting taller sights on the pistol). I contacted GI and they took it back and gave me a new one.

Might be worth emailed them to see what (if anything) they might be willing to do for you, even if you ordered it with a standard height channel. They are good people.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be worth emailed them to see what (if anything) they might be willing to do for you, even if you ordered it with a standard height channel. They are good people.
Going to do that now. Maybe I can send them mine and they can remold it slightly or something. I agree in that they are good people. In the few instances I have called or emailed them they have always been friendly, helpful, and gone above and beyond. Can't say enough good about Ron and Sheryl.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, they actually said they were going to modify my original holster for a high sight channel - honestly I don't know if they did that or gave me a new one. Hopefully they'll be able to work it out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts