HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally completed the installation of these sights on my pistol and WOW! I love them. I can't wait to actually try them out while at the range. Having the front sight painted orange draws your eye instantly. I would have to say that if you do not have them on your handguns, then you do not know what you are missing. I think they will be worth the money that was paid for them. Here are the pics of the finished product...

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! It was a great stress reliving project that gave me something to fiddle around w/ on my birthday weekend.

TooSixy-I did take pics of most of the process. If you want, I can try and create a step by step of how I did it using the pics. It was pretty easy, although I will say that if you do not have patience then you shouldn't do it. The two most important things to keep in mind are: 1. be patient and 2. be conservative w/ your file or sandpaper (what ever you choose to use). I will also add to not be afraid to ask questions...e-man930 and strider45 had great advice on using a light oil on installation.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where exactly on the sight are you removing material from?

Is it from the front and back of the dovetail or just the flat bottom? Also what did you use to sand it?

Very good looking job by the way!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us! I've been looking around for some night sights and heinies look the most appealing to me with trijicons close second. Great gun as well!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good work, 2ndAM...those sights look amazing and may I add, "professionally installed"!!! Let us know how you make out on your first range outing with your new SlantPros...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where exactly on the sight are you removing material from?

Is it from the front and back of the dovetail or just the flat bottom? Also what did you use to sand it?

Very good looking job by the way!
Your best bet is to remove material from the bottom of the dovetail. As you "slightly" remove material in your fitting process, the dovetail height actually becomes smaller, allowing the tight edges of the sights (sides) to actually sit lower in the slide's dovetail groove...this allows the sight to eventually fit properly...nice and snug. It's important not to remove too much material at once. If you do this, you may run the risk of the sight actually being too loose, and you may be able to actually push the sight in without any tools. If you get to this point, you may as well order another sight set.

Use a sanding block with automotive sandpaper...I like to use 320 grit. Have a large enough sheet/block so that you can actually push the sight across the block a few times. Keep test fitting and repeating this process until you can install it without any exerted force. If you're fighting the sight to install it, it's still too tight. Oh yeah, and use a bit of light oil to help with the install.

You can always remove material, but it's kinda' hard to add it back! Slowly but surely...patience will be your most effective tool.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your best bet is to remove material from the bottom of the dovetail. As you "slightly" remove material in your fitting process, the dovetail height actually becomes smaller, allowing the tight edges of the sights (sides) to actually sit lower in the slide's dovetail groove...this allows the sight to eventually fit properly...nice and snug. It's important not to remove too much material at once. If you do this, you may run the risk of the sight actually being to loose, and you may be able to actually push the sight in without any tools. If you get to this point, you may as well order another sight set.

Use a sanding block with automotive sandpaper...I like to use 320 grit. Have a large enough sheet/block so that you can actually push the sight across the block a few times. Keep test fitting and repeating this process until you can install it without any exerted force. If you're fighting the sight to install it, it's still too tight. Oh yeah, and use a bit of light oil to help with the install.

You can always remove material, but it's kinda' hard to add it back! Slowly but surely...patience will be your most effective tool.
Thank you very much for the advise. Just placed an order for a set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts