HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. My name is Dan and I'm from Wisconsin. I picked up my first HK last month. It is a P2000SK-V2 in .357 SIG. Sofar I've had 350 rds through it (without a hiccup of course; as expected).

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the P2Ksk. I have one in .40 v3 and love it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How do you like the .357SIG caliber?
I had been comparing it to .40 S&W. I was impressed by the velocity and energy of the round, it's relatively flat trajectory, it's reported excellent penetration through car doors and glass and it's stated purpose of equalling .357 magnum performance with a 125 gr. bullet through a 4" barrell. Unfortunately the .357 SIG doesn't quite compare to the magnum in a sub-compact; but that was the size that I was in the market for. I found the .357 SIG to have a quicker, jerkier recoil than the .40; but I knew that ahead of time and it is certainly more fun to shoot. Right now I just have the standard 9-shot mags for it with flat floorplates and I have big hands; so there is no room for my pinkie and combined with the gun being short, it is relatively a little hard for me to control when combined with the hot round. I plan on getting extended floorplates for the mags that I have; plus 12-shot USP compact mags with extended floorplates and that should make it easier. (Because of the size of my hands I can actually control a "double stack" 1911 alot easier than a PPK; regardless of the gross difference in energy of the rounds, opposite of what is usually the case for most women, for example.) 9mm use among cops has been dieing out for years (I've never been a fan of the 9mm; but I do own a P38 as a collector's item) in favor of the .40; but some cops use .357 SIG for it's better penetration through car doors and glass and from what I have read, all Secret Service agents have SIG Sauer P228s chambered in .357 SIG. The cost of the round is relatively cumbersome; but I plan to reload for it and I hope that it continues to become more popular and the price goes down. Brand new guns chambered in .357 SIG seem to sell well on gunbroker.com.

I had been comparing the HK to the SIG Sauer P239 SAS with the DAK trigger. I chose the HK due to the fact that I prefered the feel of the grip and the feel of the LEM trigger to the SIG DAK trigger; as well as the placement of controls and that it was smaller in two dimensions, a whopping five ounces lighter, had a capacity of two more rounds and an accessory rail. If only the HK had OEM night sights like the SIG. I want to get night sights for my HK; but would prefer only a front one. From what I have seen, night sights for my gun are sold only in front and back together in one package, however.

Most guns chambered in .357 SIG can also be rigged up to shoot .40 S&W with a simple barrell and recoil spring swap, using the same mag. (The SIG P239 was once exception with the use of the same mags.) I read on the HK website however, that "HK does not authorize caliber conversions". I know that real HK parts cannot be ordered directly from HK online; but only through dealers and that because of the mechanical recoil reduction system that changing the recoil spring to a different weight probably requires changing the entire guide rod assembly and the springs together, unlike with a 1911. I read someone on this forum comment that converting an HK handgun between .357 SIG and .40 S&W would end up costing almost as much as a new gun, although I do know that companies such as Jarvis make aftermarket barrells for HKs; assumably a little cheaper. Does anyone have more info on rigging an HK in .357 to also shoot .40? Is it completely inadvisable and/or impractical or impossible? I'm sure that this topic has probably been covered on the forum in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts