HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I tried the rookie forum since that's what I consider myself concerning HK, but got no replies so I will try here.

Does anyone know the weight difference between a 416 barrel and the 556A1? I just got my 556 the other day and I am considering if I should send it to Jayson at IGF that everyone here talks about or not to have some weight taken off. I think I want something like a CompM4s and a 3x on mine and some weight saving certainly helps, but if it's not that much anyhow then it doesn't really matter.

Thanks.....

·
Banned
879 Posts
I don't know the exact weights, but I will tell you that turning down the MR556 is VERY worth it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it is something I need to seriously consider then. If I send it to Jayson should I consider having a nitride treatment done as well while it's there. And from that standpoint should it be the whole thing or just the upper or what?

PS. Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Remember that you're removing the weight from the front of the rifle, so any little bit makes a big difference on handling. It's less of a weight issue as it is a balance issue. The benefit of having Jayson sending it off for nitriding, is that you have the same person removing and installing the barrel and you don't have to ship back and forth to do it. Since you have the barrel off, you may as well do it at the time, if you have plans to do it ever.

-W

·
Registered
32 Posts
+1 I had my MR 556 turned down by Jayson and shortened to 14.5 w/perm. flash hider attached. It is approximately .3 lbs heavier now than my standard issue M4 and handles just as well for drills, etc... the small weight increase over the M4 is well worth the benefits of the HK piston system. I would highly recommend having the barrel turned by IGF, it is well worth it if you plan on doing any real world shooting scenarios.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
+1 I had my MR 556 turned down by Jayson and shortened to 14.5 w/perm. flash hider attached. It is approximately .3 lbs heavier now than my standard issue M4 and handles just as well for drills, etc... the small weight increase over the M4 is well worth the benefits of the HK piston system. I would highly recommend having the barrel turned by IGF, it is well worth it if you plan on doing any real world shooting scenarios.

I am happy to see a Pro. use the MR. I know it will serve you well.

be safe out there

·
Banned
879 Posts
Looks like I need to grab the postal scale and weigh some stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what I am reading here and thinking about it, seems it is considered to be more of a balance issue than a "pure weight" issue, in that case it looks like to me that I need to have the sights setup and see how it feels to me then to discover what I need to do. So to that end the next thing it would seem I need to do is figure out for sure what sights I want on it. My first choice is Aimpoint Comp M4. So my next question is does anyone have any objections or anything I need to consider, and does it matter in any way if it is the s version or not. From reading the only difference I can tell is the battery compartment is on top on one and the bottom on the other. In the real world are there any plus' or minus' to either?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like you're pretty new to the weapon if you haven't a feel for it already. I suggest learning the weapon and using it with the standard irons first. This will familiarize yourself with the platform, and should your optic ever fail in the future, you won't be SOL.

-W

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct. The 556 is my first HK, and I do need practice with it. I am learning as I go with this format. Thanks for everyone's help by the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts