HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took in a SW5 on trade. It was supposed to be rebuilt with a real HK MP5 full auto bolt and clipped and pinned lower.
If these are legit, I am going to keep them and put them on my 94, and put the 94 bolt and lower on the SW5 before I sell it.
I just need some help making sure these are real before I switch them out.
thanks!
All few more pics here:
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenwenk/MP5

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Look here for where the date coding and other symbols are usually placed.

http://www.hkpro.com/symbols.htm

In the pictures you linked, I didn't see any date coding anywhere on any of the parts. The lower housings usually have them inside on the rear tang, visible when you look straight down into the housing. It should be on the little narrow plastic strip just on the edge of where the plastic starts in front of the rectangular hole through the rear tang.

All of my bolt heads have markings on them, they are on the top side.

The bolt carrier is the most obvious one to me - the welds are definitely not HK factory welds, and there are some spot welds on the tube that are completely missing.

The middle section of the locking piece should not be smooth round, it should have a bunch of flats on it, faceted with like 15 or 20 sides.

I suspect that none of those parts are HK, at least, not German HK. They're probably not HK at all.

Having said that, I have a full-auto bolt carrier that I think is not HK, the welds are completely different than the one I have that I know for sure is German HK. But they both work flawlessly, and always have.

So... I wouldn't pay a premium for the parts just because of their claimed authenticity, but I also wouldn't automatically assume that they won't work, either.

Hell, here's some pics, easier than me typing so many words:

First, bolt head markings:

Next, locking piece faceting:

Bolt carrier welds (see how much smoother they are?), and some of the spot welds yours is missing:

And finally, grip housing code, this one is P1 or PI, it's not an actual date code, but some other kind of code. All my plastic packs have some code in this same spot:

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
One other thing - someone PM'd me something that I had neglected to write - it is entirely possible for some parts like grip frames to not have date codes. I've heard of this as well, for parts that are sure to be original German HK. All of mine are date coded, however, none of them are plastic SEF packs either. All 5 of them are navy style.

But there's another clue on this housing - the "S" looks wrong. I'm totally splitting hairs here, but the line that makes the S is too wide. Compare it to the S in this one, or others from known HK supplier places and notice how much thinner the S line is:

http://www.hkparts.net/Pictures/HK%20PREOWN/SEF%20MP5%20lower%20PP%20TG.JPG

While they might all work just fine, I don't believe any of the pics you posted are of "real" HK parts. JMO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Grip housing

POF has the S-E-F markings molded into the plastic and then filled with paint.
HK have the S-E-F markings printed directly onto the flat plastic surface.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
POF has the S-E-F markings molded into the plastic and then filled with paint.
HK have the S-E-F markings printed directly onto the flat plastic surface.
I believe that is incorrect. The SEF packs, 0-2-25 packs, and pictogram packs have the numbers molded into the plastic as well, it's not just paint on a flat surface. There may be some that were done that way, but everyone I have or have ever seen that are coded HK have the numbers molded into the housing. The SEF and numbered packs have the deepest numbers, the picto are the shallowest. But they all have the markings molded into the housing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe that is incorrect. The SEF packs, 0-2-25 packs, and pictogram packs have the numbers molded into the plastic as well, it's not just paint on a flat surface. There may be some that were done that way, but everyone I have or have ever seen that are coded HK have the numbers molded into the housing. The SEF and numbered packs have the deepest numbers, the picto are the shallowest. But they all have the markings molded into the housing.
Well that may be, but the HK one in the upper pic is 1IG datecoded and HK made with printed letters (note how the "E" is starting to wear off), whereas the POF one in the lower pic is w/o datecode and has molded letters. I did base my assumption re. HK printing the letters on the various govt. MP5's I've handled, but those are all from the 80's. HK may have changed their process at a later stage.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and pics guys. I did find a date code on the bolt head, but I tend to agree that the carrier, locking piece, and most likely the lower are not HK.
The lower not being HK was pretty much a non-issue, since my lower off the 94 would not fit onto the SW receiver anyway. It was binding up about a half inch short of being fluch toward the back and I didnt have time to work on it before the buyer came to check it out.

I do really like the look of the plastic lower vs. the metal lower, so now I just need to search for a new plastic HK lower for my 94.

thanks again,
Steve

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Well that may be, but the HK one in the upper pic is 1IG datecoded and HK made with printed letters (note how the "E" is starting to wear off), whereas the POF one in the lower pic is w/o datecode and has molded letters. I did base my assumption re. HK printing the letters on the various govt. MP5's I've handled, but those are all from the 80's. HK may have changed their process at a later stage.
Very interesting. I wonder if it was a change so they could make SEF packs on the same molding setup as 0-1-25 packs and only change the lettering that is a second op anyways. But like I said, the plastic SEF pack is the only one I don't have, my only SEF packs are metal. But in any case, your top SEF pack illustrates my point that the OP's pack has a much 'thicker' S stamping. I was comparing to any other known stamped HK packs I could find pics of that are SEF packs.

Thanks for the pics, that is something I haven't seen before, not even in pictures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There seem to be some variations in the lettering process, I just checked a plastic S-E-F G3 grip housing with IG datecode, and it has molded letters too.
Seems that the datecode is probably the best way to check if it's true HK production.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts