HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the LEM kit in my USP 45C. It seems to work but the hammer can flop around without any real tension. I suspect that I have the cocking piece spring installed incorrectly but can't see how...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it is in the LEM mode the hammer is protruding from the rear of the slide. That looks normal from the video install I just watched but I can push the hammer forward into the slide so it is flush as if in traditional double action mode. Is that correct??

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Yep, actually that's the way mine is. I have asked the group before about that. To me it seems as if there is no catch involved and that I can press the hammer to the firing pin and in slightly (I feel the FPS resistance), to the point at which the FPB does its job. I was worried I didn't have the correct catch. From all that I heard from, including hkparts.net folks, the catch I had originally was the correct part.

I misunderstood your first question. On my first attempt, the cocking piece spring had come loose allowing for a hammer wobble.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It works fine, it just seems weird that the hammer can be pushed in....I've gotten too used to striker fired and traditional DA/SA pistols.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There's two layers of safety against the hammer transferring force into the firing pin should the pistol be dropped on the hammer. Those are the Firing Pin Block and Catch. What you both are describing is a result of having the old style catch installed. That's the reason you can push the hammer forward. The remedy to this is to contact HK and they will send you the new catch. This will insure that all of the passive safeties are in place and working as designed.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
@ Brownie

I spoke to one of the cats at hkparts, and they told me I was fine. I had a sneaking suspicion that the catch in the match trigger package was the one I needed, but I couldn't find it anywhere but in that group. Is that longer beaked catch the part I'm missing?

HK USP Match Trigger, Match kit - HKPARTS.NET

This above is the one I thought should be employed in this situation.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There's two layers of safety against the hammer transferring force into the firing pin should the pistol be dropped on the hammer. Those are the Firing Pin Block and Catch. What you both are describing is a result of having the old style catch installed. That's the reason you can push the hammer forward. The remedy to this is to contact HK and they will send you the new catch. This will insure that all of the passive safeties are in place and working as designed.
Am I correct to assume that if I install the so called "new style catch" that the hammer won't move with the slightest pressure in LEM mode like it does now on my HK45 LEM? This whole time I thought that was how all LEMs made the hammer. I did find this odd at first, but once I took the gun to the range and saw that it functioned 100% reliably, I just dismissed it as part of how the LEM mechanism is designed.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The Hammer should rest on the Catch when a LEM pistol is cocked. You should not be able to push it forward. Same with a DA/SA version in DA mode.

The "old style" catch will not work with LEM. You need the "new style" "long tail" catch.

The LEM Cocking Piece Spring prevents the hammer from "flopping" around but only if installed correctly. I had to take my USP9C apart to correct this the first time too. :wink:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I spoke to one of the cats at hkparts, and they told me I was fine. I had a sneaking suspicion that the catch in the match trigger package was the one I needed, but I couldn't find it anywhere but in that group. Is that longer beaked catch the part I'm missing?
You probably already know this but it bears saying again. HKParts.net is not HK-USA or affiliated with HK-USA. While I feel they are a great group of guys with the best of intentions they are not a substitute for the technical knowledge that HK-USA has to offer. Just for giggles call up Travis at HK. Tell him what you described here and I'd be surprised if you didn't have a new catch in the mail pretty quick. Who knows, I could be wrong on this one but one phone call and you'll know for sure. Make sure you let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Here's a picture to clear up any confusion. The new style catch with the long tail that Chuck referenced on the left needs to be used with the hammers that have the cut-out on them like the one that is also on the left. Standard spurred and some standard bobbed hammers (USP compact) come in both flavors and need to be matched to the correct catch. I've yet to see an LEM hammer that didn't have the cut-out so until I do I feel comfortable saying that LEM hammers need the new style catch with the long tail to retain the level of safety that the design offers. As stated before, the use of the old style catch with the new style hammer (with cut-out) will not affect the function of the pistol at all. What it does do is eliminate one of the passive safety features that was incorporated into the design and should be present.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen. I've sort of had this in the back of my mind for a while. Shame on me for not following up on my own concerns.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
@ Brownie

HK USP Match Trigger, Match kit - HKPARTS.NET

This above is the one I thought should be employed in this situation.
No, that's the catch that is used in every gun (late models), not just the Match trigger kit.
If Travis doesn't send you one, get it from TopGunSupply. HKParts is not the only place that sells parts.
HK Catch USP Compact LEM and HK45 - Top Gun Supply

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank toosixy, Nobody is answering the phone over at HK so I ordered the one from Top Gun. I still need to get in touch with Travis at HK because my LEM kit came with the dreaded slanted hammer :(

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thank toosixy, Nobody is answering the phone over at HK so I ordered the one from Top Gun. I still need to get in touch with Travis at HK because my LEM kit came with the dreaded slanted hammer :(
I'd wait until I talked to Travis. I wouldn't guarantee it but you may get 2 freebies on the deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Brownie...I left him a message and I also emailed customer service. Also, thanks for the picture above. It explained exactly what I needed to know..I have the new notched hammer but the old short cocking piece.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts