HKPRO Forums banner

Help me choose a P2000SK!

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Asynchronism 
#1 ·
There's a gun show this weekend, and I've pretty much decided to bring home a P2000SK for my new CCW. Now... what caliber?

I already have 2 other 9mm pistols, so I don't have to buy another size ammo... on the other hand, I already own 2 9mm pistols...

What's the favorite for carry / self defense - 9mm or .40? Any .357 SIG fans?

Dave (counting the hours 'till Saturday... )

#5 ·
+1!
Ammo costs and availablity (.357sig) are important when deciding which caliber to get. I am a huge fan of 9mm and am confident in the round especially with modern defensive ammo (winchester ranger, Speer Gold Dot, Corbon, ect). Plus I like the fact that I can buy 1000 rounds of 9mm for around or less then 500 rounds of .40/.357sig. You already own 9mm so there would be no need to purchase additional ammo although I must say that the .357sig round is VERY fun to shoot :D. Whatever you decide is a good choice as the P2K is a great firearm.

Let us know how you make out.

#3 ·
I am not against the 9mm round be any means, but up the ante and go for a .357SIG.

Very re-assuring when times get tough...

#4 ·
I used to have to buy numerous different calibers of ammo it was a big headache trying to keep some on hand for all handguns. I have since then went to only two calibers. The 9mm and the 45acp. I would encourage you to stay with the 9mm to avoid buying more than the one ammo. Think of it logistically one caliber of ammo fits every gun.

#6 ·
I went with 40S&W and love it. It does take some getting used to the snappy muzzle flip in that size gun, but its controllable. I dont think you can go wrong with any caliber in the SK, I would just go with what you are most used to. I only carry 45 so any of the calibers were new ground for me, I certainly dont regret it.

#7 ·
personally I like the .40 for self defense, plenty of energy for a good size bullet. I also like to think of calibers as golf clubs, one caliber for this, another for that. But having a common caliber is also a good thing, being able to swap ammo that might not shoot good in one gun. And seeing as how the price of ammo has been going up lately, another 9mm might not be a bad idea. As long as you can hit what your aiming at, you should have no problems. Sorry, probably didnt help all that much, but hopefully gave you something to help you decide.

#8 ·
Been reading myself to death this morning on the three rounds.

The only thing I think I've concluded is that the .357 SIG isn't for me. Pretty interesting round, but I don't need that kind of penetration. I'm in FL where clothing is typically very light - for self defense, I don't want a round that will exit the intended target and potentially hit someone else.

The jury is still out on the other two... trusty 9mm or .40?

#12 ·
I'm really looking for an easy to conceal CCW, and the USPc in my mind just seems to large. I'll have to look at them again this weekend... if I thought the USPc would fit the bill, I'd buy a .45ACP without debate. If I could find a grey one, I'd buy 2!

I want to try carrying IWB, and I wear mostly light clothing... t-shirt and shorts. I need something thin and comfortable to carry 24/7, that will print minimally.

#13 ·
Well, I did a lot more reading... and thought about it overnight... couldn't get the .357 SIG round out of my head.

Went to the show, and darned if they didn't have a pile of .375 SIG SK's on special... picked up a brand new one with the LEM trigger.

The LEM feels great (I dry fired it twice... just had to!), can't wait to take it to the range this week.

Also picked up a pretty cook HK / Benchmade knife (numbered 44 of 500) to add to the collection.

Will get some pics posted this week of both!

Dave

#16 · (Edited)
Been meaning to update this one...

Put a couple boxes through it last week, and really enjoyed it. It does kick more than 9mm, but about what I expected. I was shooting about a 10 inch grouping at 13-15 yards - nothing to really brag about, but good enough.

For shooting at the range, I think P2000 in .357 would be just as easy to handle as the .45 USP. I seem to recall there's an extended magazine thing for the SK, may look into one of those.

It's not my favorite fun gun, but so far perfect for CCW - its intended purpose. If you're looking for a good self defense pistol, it's great.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.