HKPRO Forums banner

Which would you suggest for my next sear host?

• 40 cal

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • 10mm

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Both

Votes: 5 11.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I own both and I find the 10mm more fun to shoot than the 40. Maybe its the recoil impulse, maybe its the noise not sure what it is but
whatever it is, I like it!! First time I shot the 10mm at an indoor gun range the guys at the front desk called into the range officer and had
him ask me what caliber I was shooting. I think that they thought I was shooting a rifle caliber which you were not permitted to do at this range.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so far fellas. I have been leaning towards the 10mm but admittedly need to get up to speed on which builds are made the right way, and which to avoid (soft trunnions, etc). The new Bailey at Omega had quoted me a build price but never answered which trunnion he used. Kind of stuck in analysis paralysis at the moment...:confused:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Thanks so far fellas. I have been leaning towards the 10mm but admittedly need to get up to speed on which builds are made the right way, and which to avoid (soft trunnions, etc). The new Bailey at Omega had quoted me a build price but never answered which trunnion he used. Kind of stuck in analysis paralysis at the moment...:confused:
No, no, no, no...…@Tallpine

Jeeze…...Ok....Again, just contact Ralph at RDTS, tell him "Brad" sent you to him, and you would like ABC. Then, state, "Ralph,.....How much?.....Ralph....How long???" From there, just sit back and let Ralph do his "Thang". {No....I get nothing. Ralph has just done great work for me BIG TIME, so I try to help him like I did someone else, but that some one else started screwing people...no names....you can all read}

Now.....after that conversation, you're going to have withdrawals.....just be ready for it. A few weeks later, you'll have a surprise in the FFL. You'll "try" to shoot crap ammo through it, {I did}, and then you'll find out that it needs to move at 1250 fps, and do otherwise with your ammo, and your third phone call to @RDTS

At this point, Ralph will tell you to go buy something better than crap ammo {like me}, and try Sig 10MM ammo...……………………………….

The end of the story is...….happy ending, no phone calls to Ralph, and Tallpine happy as a pig in sh$t :biggrin:

Cheers!!!!!

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
One of the Ralphs (RDTS or Ralph Jr) is who I would go with, I have an RDTS MP5/40 in NFA jail right now. Both are easy to get ahold of, responsive and have great reputations. I've heard good things about TPM but haven't used them myself. Several of the Bailey companies had a reputation for developing cracked trunnions in their MP5/40 and MP5/10s. Bailey is just not worth the hassle IMO.

Life is too short to buy a gun just to troubleshoot it. I know some guys swear they are fine but my experience and a lot of others would tell you it's a crapshoot. Do you want to enjoy this thing or try and figure out how much of the gun needs to be replaced to function?

I'll be the killjoy and suggest 40, I love the 10mm but the MP5/10 is the only 10mm that has any appeal to me and I've got enough calibers on the shelf. And unless you're shooting living things, they both make the same size hole.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
10mm definitely.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm going to vote for a .40 SD. No ports necessary to drop most .40 ammo below subsonic, it's already there.

TPM builds them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
For those in the know, which do you suggest for my next sear host?
I'm going to vote for a .40 SD. No ports necessary to drop most .40 ammo below subsonic, it's already there.

TPM builds them.
Yeah I pretty much agree that .40 is the way to go whether it's suppressed or not.
The lower recoil of the 40 gun equals better accuracy, plus the cost to feed the beast is lower.
Couple all that with the fact that the 40 gun is not nearly as ammo sensitive power/velocity wise as the 10mmm and no need to fumble with locking pieces is a plus in my book.

IMHO 10mm suppressed is a waste because if you're looking for subsonic 10mm ammo then you're really talking about 10mm loaded down to 40 spec more or less.

The 10mm shines when all out muzzle energy and velocity matter most. Also let's be honest, most us will employ the gun a range toy where the muzzle blast/report and felt recoil impulse that others have mentioned adds to the shooting experience.

If your going to build a SD, then for sure do it in 40 and not 10mm for the reasons that @Lamont mentioned.
Both RDTS and TPM both build nice SD guns in 40 and 10mm.

Reactions: Lamont

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Well there goes my "grand" plan.lol
I was assuming I could get by reloading my own 10mm.
You can reload, put in a different LP, and move along. I kept in the original LP, and just went with better ammo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts