HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I want to get my first SBR. I already have an NFA trust.

I have Hk fever. I can't decide what to do:

I want something compact, like the size of an aks74u, and am thinking either HK53 vector SBR clone, 9mm mp5 SBR clone or .22lr gsg5 mp5 SBR clone.

I love the look of the mp5 with collapsible stock. If I get a 9mm carbine or 5.56, I can use it as a PDW. Or maybe I should just get the gsg5 sbr to fan the flames? Are those any good, or are they junk? I fear they are crap and, aesthetically, won't impress me like a vector, mke, dakota tactical..

If you were going to get an SBR Hk mp5 style clone, what would it be? .22, 9mm or 5.56? Is it fun to have an hk53, or is it too damn loud? It would definitely be more powerful than a 9mm even with the 8" right?

Tell me the pros cons of each please!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think you need to decide on a caliber first. And then go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I have Hk fever. I can't decide what to do:
The only thing I can tell ya, is.... its about to get expensive.

Or maybe I should just get the gsg5 sbr to fan the flames? Are those any good, or are they junk? I fear they are crap and, aesthetically, won't impress me like a vector, mke, dakota tactical..
Not a huge fan of the tacitcol 22's. They feel like I swiped my kid brothers toy and went to the range. I want something with a boom. The quality is reasonable, but certainly not at the level of one of Chops' custom/sem-custom builds.

If you were going to get an SBR Hk mp5 style clone, what would it be? .22, 9mm or 5.56?
I've got them all, so its not a hypothetical... the 22 never comes out, and is now the wife's. The 556 get used unless I'm going to a range that is limited to pistol calibers only. The 556 gets used SO much I've bought a second in case I wear the first one out. Yes I like it _THAT_ much.

Is it fun to have an hk53, or is it too damn loud?
yes, not unless you are too damn old.

It would definitely be more powerful than a 9mm even with the 8" right?
the 5.56 runs about 2x the energy of the 9. Remember back to physics class MV^2

·
Registered
982 Posts
It doesn't matter which you choose first. You will end getting the others on your wish list shortly after getting the first one. GSGs don't count!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for coaching me, guys. Sounds like if you can't get a full auto, at least having a semi auto in a rifle caliber is the way to go. I've heard of trouble suppressing the 53, can It be done reliably? Also, can you bumpfire a 53? Hows the trigger (vector hk53)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not my first SBR but first HK type. It is a MKE 94k 9mm with Trident 9 suppressor. Full auto is overrated. 22 years in the military has given me my fill of that and I have no desire to own one. They are still enjoyable to shoot in semi auto.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If one of the primary requirements is having a suppressed SBR, then you should also consider the 33K, with a 12.7+ inch barrel and an A3 or HK PDW style folding stock, makes an interesting suppressor options (photos are of a Vector V33KP built with a 33K parts kit and the sear added to allow attaching the stock). The 33K still has the front bipod mount and with a 12.7" barrel can live better in the rifle world at several hundred yards than a 53. http://www.issmc.com/photos/v33kp/index.html

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have a ghillie built 9mm full size MP5. I love it. It is my first sbr with many to come. It's a breeze to shoot and quite fun. No kick even in full auto. GSG's are crap. Get the umarex version if anything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My two cents

I have a semi MP5 sbr and I love it. It has been in service for a very long time and there are lots of surplus mags and parts availible

I thought about buying an H&K 93 but mags are expensive and you don't see real H&K very often. plus I have a bunch of other 5.56 guns.

I have read about guys that SBR HK91, I was leary of this but guys have wrote that they can hit targets out between 500 & 800 yards

I love my UMP/USC conversion, but haven't had the time to SBR it. Right now, magazines are hard to come by but I doubt that will last. If you want to shoot cheaper ammo, the USC has 40 cal and 9mm conversion kits. You can get a USC for 800 to 1500 depending on color and round count. The barrell is not welded or pressed in so you could do the work yourself. Something to think about is have you looked at the G36C? I saw a real one in afghanistan and thought it was very cool. check out hdps.org, Ed sells both complete USC SBRs and G36C as well as the parts to build your own.

Unless you find a good deal stay away from the GSG-5, and stick with a "real" H&K (built by Walther)

I also have an FN P90 SBR, but that is getting off topic.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'd think you really need to decide what caliber you want. If you go 9mm you can get it very quiet. In the other direction, 5.56 with a super short barrel will be very Loud. A 53K would be even louder. With a flash enhancer you can even get more "shock and aw". My favorite 9mm is my reverse stretch. It is only 3/4" longer than an actual K, but you can use standard stocks. Like you I really like the standard A3. I much prefer a can on the reverse stretch than a full size 9mm. With a can on a full size it seems muzzle heavy. I don't find that to be so the the reverse stretch. So would would you rather be noticed at the range for being loud, or being quiet? Good luck with your SBR project.

Scott

·
Registered
482 Posts
I decided to build a MP5K reverse stretch on a BMP barrelled upper and I am almost finished,at least the working pistol part. This build has been a lot of fun I am going to send out the form 1 next month. For an HK platform,I wanted a 9mm SBR first,and a suppressor host for my Gemtech MK9K. This will be my third registered SBR and I really like the fact that if I ever could afford a registered sear,this would be my go to gun. YMMV, Ronnie.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How about a 53k and a 51P??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts