HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I have an HK45 DA/SA with Safety and really love it. Figured a 9MM from HK would be a good bet. I've read all the specs on the P30and P30L, the location of the Decocker and numerous HK forums. I'm having trouble deciding on either the P30/P30L in DA/SA with or without the safety. I guess my hesitation is that I've been accustomed to the Beretta over the years. Please assist with your thoughts putting it all together. Believe it or not, not many gun shops have both P30 or P30L available to hold. I've been pondering these questions for the last month or two and would like to "pull-the-trigger" if you know what I mean. Lots of experts here and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
From my understanding, the only P30L available with the safety is the P30LS V1 (LEM not DA/SA). However, the P30S (not longslide) is available in 9mm and .40 with safety. If you are set on the safety and DA/SA, then the regular P30S is your only choice. The P30L 9mm DA/SA is available though, just no safety.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've been thinking about going the light LEM route on my HK45s. Have you considered that? I've read a lot of good things about that trigger setup

I do use the safety a lot now though and carry cocked and locked

·
Registered
120 Posts
From my understanding, the only P30L available with the safety is the P30LS V1 (LEM not DA/SA). However, the P30S (not longslide) is available in 9mm and .40 with safety. If you are set on the safety and DA/SA, then the regular P30S is your only choice. The P30L 9mm DA/SA is available though, just no safety.
Actually, that info is incorrect. You can pick up a P30 or a P30L both with manual safeties (I own a P30S and a P30LS...both V3 DA/SA 9mm).

Now which one is better? Honestly, I'd say the P30 is easier to bring to bear than the P30L's heavier slide and a better CCW. However, if you're wanting to mount a full weaponlight, then the P30L's longer slide makes an excellent platform for such.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have both the HK45 v1 and the P30 v3 (both DA/SA with safety) and am very happy with them. I didn't really consider the P30L because the P30 balances so well in the hand that I didn't see the need for the extra slide length. Of course, my interests are more in defensive shooting rather than competitive sharpshooting, so the P30L might pay some dividends with the longer sight radius if that is your objective. If you are comfortable with the HK45, you will love the P30, no doubt. It's like the little brother with a similar grip and sweet SA action -- but a lot cheaper to shoot! It's not quite the tack driver that the HK45 is, but really, what is? Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Actually, that info is incorrect. You can pick up a P30 or a P30L both with manual safeties (I own a P30S and a P30LS...both V3 DA/SA 9mm).

Now which one is better? Honestly, I'd say the P30 is easier to bring to bear than the P30L's heavier slide and a better CCW. However, if you're wanting to mount a full weaponlight, then the P30L's longer slide makes an excellent platform for such.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I specifically got a P30 in DA/SA without the safety because to me it's too small and in an awkward position, and I don't really see the need to have a safety on a DA/SA gun to begin with. Go get your hands on both of them and spend a few minutes manipulating all the bits, and see which one fits you better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I specifically got a P30 in DA/SA without the safety because to me it's too small and in an awkward position, and I don't really see the need to have a safety on a DA/SA gun to begin with. Go get your hands on both of them and spend a few minutes manipulating all the bits, and see which one fits you better.
The safety is definitely personal preference but I've found it to be located perfectly. You can smoothly holster draw a P30/P30L w/safety and simultaneously thumb down the safety lever to fire while pulling the trigger. Even better, unlike the HK45-style manual safety, the P30-series' decocker is a separate, rearward button. The HK45-style safety lever also doubles as a decocker and that can get you into trouble if you're in a hurry to draw and thumb down the safety (possibly thumbing down TOO far and engaging the decocker, too).

But all that said, I'd only use the manual safety to reholster (to prevent any trigger snag and a negligent discharge) and then disengage the safety to fire mode once it's properly seated (since it is DA/SA "safer" like Wolvenhaven said).

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not an LEM fan. Tried them & didn't care for them. I guess I'm SA/ DA sort of guy. Been shooting this trigger for 40 years. Not a fan of cocked & locked ~ seen too many negligent discharges. The V3 P30 with no safety was my choice. Since the only way the gun will fire is by pulling the trigger due to the firing pin block, it's as safe as a gun with a safety. Only difference is you don't have to fool around with a safety. Just pull the trigger and bang. Simple, easy. An old friend (retired FBI & US Customs) carried a S&W M 59 with the safety OFF because he didn't like the chance of forgetting to take it off under fire. HE was glad that the new Sig he got had no manual safety. When he went to US Customs, they issued him a Glock & he learned all of it's quirks. He now has a G19 in OD green he loves.

If you don't need to add anything to the mix to add a step (manual safety) when it's not needed is to slow you down.

As far as the P30 / P30L? I got a straight P30, V3. The P30L has a longer sight radius and a 1/4 " longer barrel that will give up to 50 fps more velocity. That's the pro.

Con: Try to find a variety of holsters. There are very few to chose from. The gun is heavier and more difficult to carry or conceal. Is the extra length that important to you? I would think that it would be a hindrance. If you look at Sig pistols, they sell lots of P226 pistols. But a far better pistol was the original P228, a smaller version of the 226. Wish I had an original.

My opinion ~ from an old, treacherous guy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gents for some great comments and insights. It sure would be great to be able to hold both P30s but I haven't seen too many HK pistols around here (NVA). The one version available is the P30L SA/DA w/o the safety. It felt nice! Numerous forum posters commented on owning multiple versions of the same gun! What prompted that? I imagine that if a Hk45C was in the store I would probably want it as well!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thoughts were that the P30L length matched my HK45. I recognize that a half inch doesn't make that much difference. Decisions, Decisions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Numerous forum posters commented on owning multiple versions of the same gun! What prompted that? I imagine that if a Hk45C was in the store I would probably want it as well!
For me, I had first purchased the 9mm P30LS V3 without having fired one before (my local shooting ranges only had the P30S V3 for rent). I soon realized that while I love shooting the P30LS, I still had a tendency to take a split second longer to acquire multiple targets (mainly due to the heavier slide). Since I am interested in mainly defensive handgun training, it was a no-brainer for me to pick up a 9mm P30S V3, too. I couldn't (and still can't) bring myself to sell my P30LS, though, because my Surefire X400 weaponlight fits it so well (it would stick out way more on a P30S and look a bit awkward not to mention the increased risk of holster snag during a SHTF draw).

On a side note, I have made up my mind to pick up an HK45 (for home defense) as well. It has the full rail to put my Surefire X400 on and then MAYBE I might consider selling off my P30LS but more than likely I'll keep it as a dedicated car gun (so I don't have to keep taking out and putting back my CCW every time I enter/exit my vehicle just to have easy access all the time).

At this time, I have no interest in an HK45C but...once I get an HK45...that could all change (but doubtful as I like to have many, many rounds for my CCW).

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My vote goes towards the P30LS..... or just get an LEM.

-Wes

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
i see no reason to have a manual safety on a da/sa gun....the DA pull is a safety in itself
Not everyone likes to carry de-cocked though...
Just sayin...

-Wes

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Without safety. I love how the regular P30L handles

·
Registered
275 Posts
My USP 9 has a safety. My HK45c has a safety. I don't want to get confused on which gun I am carrying/shooting so when buying the P30, I went with the Safety. They all work the same.
I went with the 45c and standard P30s as I carry these. I don't think the longer slide on either model would make much of a difference in accuracy for me anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts