HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Gun Purchase and yes its an HK, I've done enough research to get me this far.

I thought I was dead set on the P30LS v3. However reading some more I noticed its not recommended to fire p+ ammo. Not too much of a big deal as long as i keep it to a minimum as I was told by Mike CrossCreek. However, I'm noticing a lot of favorable reviews on USP 9mm and that gun seems a bit cheaper, $100 bucks or so. I think its older tech but once again I'm very new to this game and I'm not sure what I really need. I figured the USP is probably just as good for what I need but that's the thing why do people buy one over the other besides price?

Why am I'm buying the gun?

Home Defense and Target Practice. Fired a couple of friends guns at the Range and just kinda got hooked.

I do intend to hook up a laser and strobe on this gun. My next gun will be HK45C since everyone seems to favor this in .45 flavor. I figured to stick with the 9mm so I can get a lot of practice and not spend a boat load.

What are cons and pros of the USP vs. P30L?

To answer my own questions the biggest difference I know of is the ergonomics and a new system which yields less recoil. Is that really it? Which gun can go through more rounds assuming both are taken care of properly. Which gun would be recommended for someone's first piece? Which one can i submerge in mud and pickup and fire?

Thanks Guys I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you are planning on hanging a light on your HD weapon, the P30 would probably make more sense as it has the universal rail system. The USP series have accessory rails, but most lights/lasers will require an adapter to work. As far as reliability and dependability, I seriously doubt you will fire enough rounds in your lifetime to break either of them. Todd Green tested out a P30 with the intent to punish it and made it to 93,000+ rounds with minor issues. They are both built like tanks. My personal preference is for the P30 simply because of the ergos. The USPs feel a bit like a block of wood in my hand, while the P30 fits like a glove. It just makes for a more pleasurable shooting experience. Either way, though, you really can't go wrong. Good luck in your decision and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The P30 size is more manageable than a full-sized USP. In case you change your mind and want to carry it at a later time, a P30 will be easier to conceal than a USP.

I'd say buy what you want to buy, not because everyone else likes or favors it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have your heart set on the long slide? Have you compared the P30 vs P30L in person, either at a store or preferably at the range? The folks who prefer the L generally do so based on personal preference for the weight balance or the slightly longer sight radius for competition.

For me, I've neither of those two reasons applied, so I went with the standard since it's more compact.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
P30LS it is.
Enjoy it.

And like HKfaninMD wrote, don't worry about babying it. It will take +p fine. Out of the 93,000 rounds that ToddG fired, over 2400 were +p while tens of thousands of rounds were NATO standard, which is pretty much the same ballpark as +p. Todd put it best when he said, "Shooting +p will increase wear on your gun the same way driving 75mph vs 55mph will increase wear on your car." Obviously, that's not true for all guns, but any of the currently produced service pistols will handle +p fine.

If you check in the Customer Service section on this forum, you can also find a message from HK CS that the guns are fine for +p. It's a non-issue.

Also to add, like already mentioned the P30 has a universal rail. In order to mount a nice light/laser on the USP, you'd have the buy the adapter. That closes the gap on price that you mentioned...something to consider.

Myself, the next guns I'll buy will be the 9mm P2000sk and P30 for utilitarian reasons...after that if I have money to blow, a USP Expert in 40 or 45. They're all great, none of them "fail."

Enjoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to add, this is what it says in the manual. As TGS said, it's just about the wear, and it apply would for any gun.

NOTe: Use of +P and +P+ am mu ni tion accelerates wear and reduces the ser vice life on the component parts of any pistol, including the P Series pistols, and is not recommended. For further information on ammunition selection, contact HK Customer Service at 706-568-1906.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Sounds like you want the P30 over the USP. The USP has the wonderful Recoil Reduction System in it so recoil will be softer. My USP Compact 9mm, that uses the same system as the P30 does not recoil much, 9mm is a nice round in that respect, it will allows faster target acquisition after the 2nd shot. Due to the Recoil Reduction System full size USP does recoil in an unusual way, but thats just the way it acts...give us a range report on your P30 when you have time

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
RIGHT!!

I can just sit and look at the box! Like the gun itself, it is sleek, smooth and just draws you in. Coolest looking factory gun case ever.
*insert box joke here*
I think he was referring to the square grip but I could be wrong.

I personally prefer the grip of the USPc to the P2000/HK45c grip. The latter are just a bit too smooth for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
*insert box joke here*
I think he was referring to the square grip but I could be wrong.

I personally prefer the grip of the USPc to the P2000/HK45c grip. The latter are just a bit too smooth for me.
Yeah, I was talking about the square/2x4/box like grip of the USP.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Someone, cant remember who, had this to say about this exact topic.... If you dont own either and you have the p30 and usp in front of you, you would be crazy to take the usp over the p30.

When I got my p30 I had a usp f 40 sitting right next to it on the counter trying to decide which I wanted. While I will eventually own multiple usp's, the p30 feels much better and was the purchase for me.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
If I had a USP and a P30 in front of me, the easiest choice would be to buy both. But that's just me. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts