Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fellow HK Brethren!

I am a long time lurker - however still new to actually owning HK hardware :) I am the proud owner of a P30 Variant 3 (my first HK), and I think this pistol is perfect. After spending some time on the range with the weapon system, I would like to tinker with some modifications and this has prompted me to finally create an account. I know that some of the most knowledgeable HK enthusiasts browse this site, and maybe you will be able to help me!

I would like to make the best possible choices for the following items: a threaded barrel + cap, raised night iron sights, flashlight, miami vice style shoulder rig, and an IWB holster. In a word, I'd like to "Tactify" my P30 (i know, i know...)

I want to keep this gun as "HK" as possible - I don't want random aftermarket electro-dragon barrels, strange trigger modifications or general "tampering" with the gun. I realize HK has earned its reliability reputation for the thorough testing of its designs, and I don't want to mess with success. The general comments I have for each of the 4 categories are as follows:

Threaded Barrel
I would like to add a threaded barrel to my P30, ready to accept a suppressor. I am not sure which threading type is best or most standard. I own other European handguns so hopefully I would be able to use the same suppressor accross multiple guns, but that is not necessary. Whatever the best choice is for my HK is what I would like to go with. Also, can the P30 shoot subsonic 9mm? I realize most 115 and 124 gr 9mm ammo is supersonic, would I damage the firearm shooting 147 grain subsonic ammo? Any recommendations on suppressors?

Iron Night Sights
I would like to upgrade the factory iron sights to true night sights. If I am going to thread the barrel, I figure I should get raised sights. Are there any options that would allow me to user normal holsters? I am really torn up about what to do for the sights, and advice would be appreciated. I really don't like the raised sights on the HK USP 45T, as they aren't true night sights IIRC. They seemed like metal black raised "tabs" and I didn't like them that much. Also, if I did have raised night sights, would they harm my accuracy when shooting without a suppressor?

Flashlight
I hear surefire is the way to go? I think strobe would be nice as well. I don't NEED a laser, but it would be cool. The major concern here would be buying a flashlight system which is low enough that a suppressor would not block the laser/light. Also I may run into trouble if the flashlight sticks out past the end of the gun and "bumps" into the suppressor.

Miami Vice Shoulder Rig
The type I am talking about would be a leather galco model - my only concern would be the holster still fitting if I had raised night sights. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I am a left handed shooter.

IWB Holster
Fairly simple. I would like an In the Waistband holster which can accept my P30 with the potentially raised nightvision sights.

I realize this is a long wall of text, hopefully you guys can have some fun coming up with ideas - I am open to anything.

Thank you very much in advance!

**P.S. I plan to conceal this gun even with all of these tactical upgrades.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
If you want threaded barrel for your P30, here is one, but it is expensive because they use a factory P30L barrel and thread it down. 13.5x1 LH thread is what you want for suppressor cross compatibility with other guns.

Night vision? You meant night sights?

The only raised sights that I know of that can be used with a suppressor on a P30 is the Heinie SlantPro Tactical. They are raised night sights.

There is no raised sights on the HK45T. You're probably mistaken it with the USP45T. They are 2 different guns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have corrected my posting to remove my nomenclature mistakes - sorry. You are correct with both of your assumptions. I meant night sights and the USP 45T is the gun with the raised sights that I held in my hands

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Don't forget the 5.11 pants and matching vest. Fobus makes some killer holsters (top of the line) and real operators don't use shoulder holsters anymore, they all carry AIWB (appendix inside waste band). Don't forget a magazine pouch for your clips.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
In a question , is " Tactify" a word without meaning intended to be substituted by some objects pertaining to the context where it is used ? Hmm, I apologize , I am in the wrong phorum .....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
U-Mold-It Holsters ? Concealment ? Old Faithful Holsters
U-Mold-It - Inside the Waistband - Hybrid Belly - Gun Holster Kit - Old Faithful Holsters
Take a look at the Old Faithful "U-Mold-It" holster line. I can't recommend them enough. It's a DIY kydex mold but it's cheap, easy, can be done with basic materials lying around about any house, and it's fun to learn the process. Plus you get to make it exactly how you want it.
In my case, it was pretty much impossible to find an IWB holster for a USP Tactical full size for anything less than a full days worth of work, and I had to have one just to cover all holster bases, so I went with this kit and bought extra kydex and made two shells for one leather platform. Now I have an economical, good and comfy IWB for my Tactical with raised sights, threaded barrel, Surefire MR09 rail adapter and Lasermax Uni Max. It turned out fantastic! Give them a gander. You can find video tutorials of how it's all done both on their website and on YouTube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Nyeti, thank you for the reply - unfortunately the author of that article appears to have bought a threaded barrel and doesn't (apparently) use a suppressor. I am still concerned about night sights clearing the suppressor.

@TastesLikeChicken - honestly it would be the last purchase of the list because I think it looks cool. I wouldn't be open carrying with it, more or less for use in the woods and keeping a holster from rubbing against my legs.

I realize many people would like to come in here and make snarky comments - this is the internet after all and people like to follow the trend of lambasting people for adding things onto their weapons. If you would like to help me, I am very appreciative. If you came in here to say a comment we have all heard 100 times previously, please don't. I am not trying to be a Tactic00l Oper8tor or a Mall Ninja. Get over yourselves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
U-Mold-It Holsters ? Concealment ? Old Faithful Holsters
U-Mold-It - Inside the Waistband - Hybrid Belly - Gun Holster Kit - Old Faithful Holsters
Take a look at the Old Faithful "U-Mold-It" holster line. I can't recommend them enough. It's a DIY kydex mold but it's cheap, easy, can be done with basic materials lying around about any house, and it's fun to learn the process. Plus you get to make it exactly how you want it.
In my case, it was pretty much impossible to find an IWB holster for a USP Tactical full size for anything less than a full days worth of work, and I had to have one just to cover all holster bases, so I went with this kit and bought extra kydex and made two shells for one leather platform. Now I have an economical, good and comfy IWB for my Tactical with raised sights, threaded barrel, Surefire MR09 rail adapter and Lasermax Uni Max. It turned out fantastic! Give them a gander. You can find video tutorials of how it's all done both on their website and on YouTube.
Wow, those look pretty cool - do you find they are "chinsey" or "cheap" feeling at all? I am really interested in this, but I don't know what you mean be 'two shells for one leather platform'. Does that you mean you made one for with the flashlight and one for without?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You'll get alot of that around these parts when you want to make your HK "yours." Don't fret it. Do what you like. Afterall, it is yours. Take what people say here with a grain of salt and do your research on the things you like before jumping on anything. Use us here as referrals, and don't take too much of it seriously. Alot of these guys just like to talk ****. Afterall, we are all men... Except for a few ladies here and there. Watch out for them too! ;)

But anyway back to your topic... You won't find a flashlight and/or laser that will be interfered by a suppressor unless you are sighting your laser in for point blank range. Also, from my understanding, there are no lights big enough to mount on your rail that will "bump" into your suppressor. That would have to be one hell of an oversized bezel! IMO, Surefire is nice, but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. For me personally, it is Insight Technologies and Streamlight. For your application, you may want to look into Viridian too.

I would suggest going to the Hkpro Members Gallery and checking out some pictures to get a good idea of what's out there and what kind of fitment it provides.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They are not cheap or chinsey by any means. IIRC, they use 10 ounce leather (very thick and comfortable) and .093 kydex which is about as robust as you will find by any manufacturer. Mine has held up very well. Well worth the money and the experience/knowledge gained IMO.
Two shells for one platform: I bought the extra sized kydex... I think a 12"x6" piece..? I'd have to look.. But you basically need at least 6x6 for one shell (mold) for a full size frame. I bought the bigger size, cut it in half and made one mold for my USP Tactical just wearing the factory suppressor sights, threaded barrel and Surefire MR09 rail adapter. Then I made one for all of the above with Lasermax Uni Max mounted. Turned out great!

USP "naked" as I call it:
Old Faithful IWB USP Naked (1).JPG
I have since trimmed this up a bit as the kydex was cut a bit too wide.

USP w/ Lasermax:
Old Faithful IWB USP Laser (5).JPG

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Another thing I like about these Old Faithfuls is they are completely adjustable. No riveted hardware. It is all adjustable by screw. You can change up your belt clips and adjust retention simply by the turn of a screw. Nice for when it gets broken in, you can just screw it down a little bit more to keep that firm retention. Or you can keep it loose fitting if that floats your boat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Heinie sight will clear any pistol suppressor. I have them on my p30L and they clear my Thompson machine isis-2 suppressor which is a 1.375in diameter which is as fat as they get. As for a light the surefire is the "best" but id recommend a streamlight TLR-1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@04TAC40 - Thank you for the quick and direct feedback, I am pretty much sold on those holsters. I appreciate the willingness to help me out on this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another question I had is regarding the threaded barrels. Does it weird anyone else out they are adding threading to a standard barrel i.e. the P30L? I feel like this would cut into the thickness of the barrel and make the end thinner and potentially weaker. Is there something I am not getting about this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kramer leather makes a couple of pretty good IWB holsters. Also, Crossbreed or Comp-Tac style hybrid IWB holsters are reasonably comfortable. If you're looking for a shoulder holster, Galco is probably your best bet. Shoulder holsters aren't all they're cracked up to be though - less comfortable, harder than you'd think to conceal, awkward draw potentially muzzle sweeping unintended targets, etc.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.