HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey y'all, so like the rest of you I'm an HK lover. Just started buying guns a few months ago and by now have a VP9 and P30SK (not to mention a pocket Beretta, but let's not talk about that here!) I'm definitely planning on acquiring an AR-10 pretty soon, as an end-of-the-world gun, but I'm also on the fence about a USP Compact in 9mm. I really really want one but doubt it'll make me any happier in the long run. I think I'm just getting addicted to buying guns, and for some reason I keep coming back to HKs. The USP was my favorite gun as a kid - what a legend - and I would be really proud to own one, but the P30SK would serve the same function (medium sized carry gun) and I'm guessing is a bit more advanced, as a newer model. What do y'all think? Should I spring for the USP Compact? I was thinking about selling one of my other HKs to help pay for it, maybe the VP9 since I can't carry it, or maybe the P30SK because it's similar in size and functionality. Then again, maybe I'd just keep them all and embrace my HK addiction. Please weigh in - what should I do?!
Hiya Arthur! Welcome to the forums, and to the addictions! ;D
Same here, I absolutely loved the USP growing up, and I literally danced up and down when I won one on gunbroker years back.
Ok, now, that said, let's ask ourselves a question here. Spend money on a different variant of something that you already have (P30) or spend some extra money, on something that you don't have, and really want? (USP).
As to comparing the two models... p30 vs the USP. In my mind, there IS no comparison. The USP is a much better pistol, IMO. With the improved ergonomics and adjustable grip plates being the only advantage between the two different models. USP- Much better trigger. USP- More solid feel. USP- Serious bragging rights! The USP is a manageable carry gun, I carried one CCW IWB for almost 5 years. It's a tad heavy, but it's definitely not uncomfortable.
The recoil system in the USP makes these guns literally just BEG to be shot fast. The way the gun rolls back in your hands works tremendously well with the trigger, and makes it tremendously easy to have an empty mag before you realize it.
Ok, now one point that I just thought of, that may work in favor of the p30. The USP is built entirely as a combat handgun. If you are concerned with your scores on paper targets, the p30 is most likely a more accurate pistol. The USP can produce some pretty decent groups, but they're not made for competition. You can bring them up, pull the trigger and put a hole in a bad guy with no problem whatsoever, but the p30 willl most likely produce better groups.
If you are looking at 9mm or .40 the USP also one other big advantage. Jet Funnel. (Funnel Jet?) OEM mod that adds +3 round mag carry. Tho the mags have gotten QUITE expensive. That is also a factor with the USP. Unless you find a really good deal on a used one, you're going to pay quite a bit for the USP.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Then again, maybe I'd just keep them all and embrace my HK addiction. Please weigh in - what should I do?!
Decide what HKs you want, and put a plan in place to buying those HKs over time. I wouldn't sell any HKs you currently own. You'll experience the pain of seller's regret if you do. Each HK provides a different learning and shooting experience you'll discover as you collect more of these firearms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
DarkeWolf, definitely the kind of analysis I was hoping for! Thanks for the thoughtfulness and time. Pushing me more in the direction of getting the USP. My P30SK feels solid in my hand and is quite ergonomic, but a I recall the USPC felt at least as good. Fit my big hands better, and I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of these sculpted stocks (like on the VP9 and P30), tbh. The recoil management is something I hadn't thought of, and some rapid fire practice at the range sounds very very appealing! Thanks again!

Vincent04, I think I agree with you, not worth selling anything I don't need to - I'll just lose money, and a sweet firearm. I think if I get the USPC (who am I kidding, when I get it) it'll alternate with my other carry guns, and the VP9 is what I'll bring to the range to work on form. Among many other things, that's something the VP9 has going for it - killer accuracy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just buy and don’t sell. I was in love with my first HK but struggled with accuracy. The latest HK was too good of deal to pass up even though it isn’t a caliber I needed. It is my new favorite and ridiculously accurate. So now i just sock away my mowing cash for the next HK, whatever it will be. I have yet to run one that doesn’t impress.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey, no problem Arthur :)
I honestly can admit, that one of the things that I loved about owning a USP was the fact that anybody who knew anything about guns, knew what a USP was. Sooooo many of them in the movies and on tv shows, that they are instantly recognizeable, and people just naturally want to handle one when they get a chance to.
It sounds like you're leaning more towards the compact. So I'll let you in on a secret. I'm really not sure what you're looking for as far as caliber. And I dont know how you feel about .40 But the compact .40's have an advantage that the fullsized USPs don't. You can convert them to .357sig with just a barrel replacement and kind of have two pistols in one. .40 for your recreational shooting, and the 357sig for defense. Or, if you get very, very, very lucky, you might even be able to find one chambered in 357 and then just get an oem .40 barrel to make the swap. (full sized USP was never offered in 357, reliablity issues.)
The ergos between the two in comparison, are definitely different. Thats not to say that I would miss them, if I were pulling the trigger on a USP again. But yeah, that's the gun that I miss the most, and the one that I was the most excited to get!

Reactions: Wonder9

·
Registered
847 Posts
The USP9c is going to be a similar size as a P2000 -

The P30SK is the smallest size along with the P2000SK -

It depends what you want, the smallest one, or a medium size compact pistol that is battle proven?

Get the USP9c now, and the P30SK later as a summer carry gun - you will own them both in time (trust me) - I highly recommend the LEM trigger, as its consistent and best of both worlds between striker and hammer IMO, so I would look for the V7, and also without the external safety its much more streamlined in width - the conversion kits are NOT easy to come by so I would look for a factory V7 -

I started out 13 months ago, with my first, a P30L V1. Then I added a VP9T in October, and an HK45 in December, and finally got my HK45 Compact in April (both my HK45's are German made guns from last year, before the mfg switched back to Georgia this year, so I am quite proud of that )

My future plans are Full size USP45 (since I wouldn't carry the full size anyway, might as well get the big fat cartridge, 12+1 no slouch), which I probably will try to get a threaded barrel for as well, USP9c like you (since I don't own a "compact" HK in 9mm), and then a P30SK (to complete my carry rotation with a subcompact HK, with my small-ish hands its very refreshing to find ergonomics of a pistol to fit you)

Then the fun begins, saving for the Mark 23 and KAC suppressor, and scouring the interwebs for the SP5K.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have sold a few guns in the past to fund another. Each time I experienced regret. With that said, the USPC would be the HK I would keep if I could only have one!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah I won't sell unless it's necessary. And I won't let it become necessary. I find that the P30SK is plenty concealable and doubt I'll have trouble carrying a USPC strongside.

You're right Lynx, I'm sure everyone here is an enabler... And I'm probably just looking for enabling!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Truth. You’ll get no help for the addiction here. Generally the answer will be ‘Just buy them both, you’re going to anyway…’
And you will. It’s the unscratchable itch. Enjoy it, I know I am.
I get the urge to buy new guns, I remind myself that the focus should be on training not acquiring more guns. Guns don't position, aim, or fire themselves. Money is better spent on training and ammunition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ended up getting a killer deal on a USPc in 9. Loved it so much I bought another, and then another in .40 lol. I do live in CA though so were limited in what we can get.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
But let me press you on that Barth. Granted, the P2000SK and the P30SK are very similar, but why aren't the P30SK 9 and the USPC 9 comparable? Seems to me that for EDC purposes they're pretty similar, especially since my P30SK has a floorplate that adds two rounds and stock length. Weight is virtually identical, same caliber... How are they fundamentally different (as in, apples to oranges)?
P30SK is a subcompact and USPC is a compact.
This isn't rocket science friend - LOL!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get the urge to buy new guns, I remind myself that the focus should be on training not acquiring more guns. Guns don't position, aim, or fire themselves. Money is better spent on training and ammunition.
I have come to the same conclusion recently. I have 5 pistols right now but typically only go through 2 most of the time when training (my P2000 LEM and VP9). All the other ones I have I really like and want to keep them just to have them but I don't train with them very often anymore (though am planning on dusting off my HK45 later in the month for my next training gig but it's been over a year since I shot it last).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts