HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents, I have a recently purchased PTR91 GI rifle that I am trying to remove the cocking tube end cap on to put my bayonet adaptor on. I have searched on here, MilitaryFirearms forums, and google yet haven't managed to come up w/ anything. I punch the release button on the side of the cap, but it doesn't budge. I have even used a pair of pliers for better grip and it doesn't budge. Has anyone seen this? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've seen this issue posted before. Seems like PTR is painting them with the end cap installed or the paint hasn't fully cured when the end cap is put in.

If you haven't buggered it up, try a running a razor around the seam where the cap meets the sight housing, there may be excess paint that has somewhat glued it in place. Cover it with a cloth and try tapping it slightly, this may free it up.

... already gone at it with a pair of pliers, is it ruined?...if so, you may as well drill a couple of small holes in it, insert both ends of a needle nose pliers and see if you can twist it out.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had a similar issue with a PTR 91K. Yes, they paint over everything including the front sight blade. The iron sight were unusable due to the front not center and not enough windage on the rear sight. I guess they do their assembly for detail stuff before paint.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the help! I was not successful at any of my searches, but I may have been too detailed in the specific words that I was trying to search.

21HK- I have not damaged the edge of the cap too bad w/ the pliers. I did try a few raps from my rubber mallet and that was also unsuccessful. I may end up just drilling two holes and trying to twist it out w/ needle nose pliers...that is a good idea. Thank you!!

tmbrwulf- my GIR model's finish is completely parked and not painted, except for the cocking tube end cap. Sorry that you had those issues w/ your rifle!

AndrewJackson- I have not tried that because I was optimistic that I might get a minimally invasive solution from you guys because I know this is not supposed to be a major ordeal. It just seems to have turned into one! I will definitely keep your suggestion at the back of head because it should work if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just wanted to give an update on this thread for anyone else that may run into this issue. HK21 was correct- it looked like excessive paint was the culprit behind my cocking tube end cap being stuck in the tube. First, I tried twisting it off w/ pliers w/ no success. Second,I tried drilling two small holes in the cap to stick a pair of needle nose pliers into them to twist it out and that didn't work either. My last and successful attempt was threading one of the holes I previously drilled w/ a ¼"x20 tap and then threading a ¼"x2" screw into the hole w/ a large washer attached, followed by attaching a slap hammer to that. A few good whacks and the cap came off. It only took me 30min to remove that cap and then 5min to replace it w/ the bayonet cap! Slowly and surely I will continue to make this PTR91 my own. Have a good night everyone and thank you to all who gave advice for my predicament. This is why I love this forum- an abundance of like minded HK addicts who are always willing to help others out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts