• Neither...my suggestion below!

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I want to see the results

Votes: 1 1.8%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting from Glock's to HK's.

I never owned a GLOCK FOW-TEE(40) due to the supposed KABOOMS the 40's had with the unsupported chambers. Of course I know most of this was due to bad reloads.

Do the HK P2000/HK USPc's have this same problem, or do the have a fully supported chamber???

Also, If they do have a fully supported chamber my decision is going to be that much harder.

USPc/P2000 .40 OR 9mm. Either way, I want a variant 1 with the SA/DA decocker.

Help needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Msokol13 said:
I am in the process of converting from Glock's to HK's.
Do the HK P2000/HK USPc's have this same problem, or do the have a fully supported chamber???
The HK chamber has better support than the Glock chamber.

Go with the USPc .40. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's been a thread posted with comparison pics of quite a few gun types with a round in the chamber letting one clearly see how much or how little brass is unsupported.

The USP had the least unsupported area of any.

However, that said, while there has to be a zone (so to speak) of overpressure where it wouldn't blow out the brass if it's as well supported as with the H&K whereas it would if as much unsupported as the Glock, still nothing can necessarily withstand double charges. If the ammo's bad enough in terms of being overloaded, the brass will blow out regardless of the gun, I think. But if you want more support, the H&K has as much as any and more than most, certainly more than the Glock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd say go with the P2000 in 9mm. There are many subtle changes from the USPc, one being a more angular slide (as though they took a USPc slide and shaved off some of the bulk of it). It carries easier because of this. I say 9mm, but there is no particular reason for me to steer you towards any caliber other than your favorite.

I have a P2000 in 9mm and love it. I would kind of like a USPc in the same caliber so I can go C&L if I wanted to, which is the only reason to get the USPc over the P2000. Both guns have their particular appeal to me though they are similar in many ways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scooter said:
P7M8 is THE ULTIMATE carry gun.

Should of mentioned it has to be in my price range

P.S. I know that ANY gun can KABOOM with a bad round...I was just looking for the "Best" supported chamber.

Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
The USPc is a little thinner and lighter than the P2000. I'm kind of liking it in .357 Sig as well as 9mm. In fact I might have to get me one. I'm using a P7M8 which is really sweet, but quite a bit more money and lower capacity in 9mm. The USPf 9mm would give even greater capacity in a slightly larger frame. I like shooting it as well and it's been very reliable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shakey said:
The USPc is a little thinner and lighter than the P2000. I'm kind of liking it in .357 Sig as well as 9mm. In fact I might have to get me one. I'm using a P7M8 which is really sweet, but quite a bit more money and lower capacity in 9mm. The USPf 9mm would give even greater capacity in a slightly larger frame. I like shooting it as well and it's been very reliable.
I looked into the HK USP9 fullsize but it is significantly larger in my hands then the USP Compact.

The compact feels PERFECT in my hands, as does the P2000.

I guess it really comes down to finding holsters and magazines. I think since the Compact has been around longer it is easier to find holsters for it.

Not to mention, I am not a huge fan of the location for the decocker of the P2000.

Sounds like I just answered my own question...huh?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Msokol13 said:
I looked into the HK USP9 fullsize but it is significantly larger in my hands then the USP Compact.

The compact feels PERFECT in my hands, as does the P2000.

I guess it really comes down to finding holsters and magazines. I think since the Compact has been around longer it is easier to find holsters for it.

Not to mention, I am not a huge fan of the location for the decocker of the P2000.

Sounds like I just answered my own question...huh?
That and you have slightly more options with the compact insofar as C&L, I think it's a great gun, equal to the P2000, but different. I want another USPc, I got rid of my .45, and I would like a 9mm version. In fact, you know what, you've helped me, I'm just gonna go get one. Heh...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
carry piece

Among the choices you listed, I would go for the USP Compact 40.

Just want to say though, spend some time with the USP Compact 45 before you decide. I own a USP Compact 9mm, and a USP Compact 45. Both are GREAT guns and I am very happy with them. But I spend ALOT more time shooting the 45 simply because I enjoy it so much more. I even shoot better with it. Its also the only one I carry.

My USP Compact 9mm holds 13 rounds + 1 in the chamber, and the USP Compact 45 holds 8 rounds + 1 in the chamber. True, the 9mm gives me 5 more rounds to shoot. But self-defense handgun statistics will tell you that in like 85% or more of instances where a handgun is legitimately discharged in self-defense, you are talking about maybe 2 or 3 shots at less than 10 feet away.

Getting shot with any caliber of gun is nothing to take lightly, especially if the shot is well-placed. But keep in mind, at less than 10 feet away, under the threat of an attacker meaning to take your head off with a baseball bat for instance, you are not going to be taking deliberate aim and then squeezing off a careful shot. In that kind of situation, I'd rather have the 45 every time. If I can't stop him at that distance with nine (8+1) 45 caliber 230 grain slugs, then having five (5) more rounds isn't going to matter. If I only have enough time to fire 2 or 3 rounds, in close quarters, without careful aiming, my odds are going to be better with the 45. Now, if I were anticipating being in a gun duel in an open street at 60 feet apart, like in the fictional Old West, I might opt for the gun with the higher magazine capacity. . . or also if I expected to be in an extended battle against multiple gunfighters at once, and then I'd want to have several extra magazines too. . .

All I'm saying as far as mag-capacity is concerned, is to consider what real-world scenarios you are most likely to encounter. Chances are, you'll never need to use your weapon in the first place, but if you ever do, it better be the right one for the job and you better be ready to actually use it if you pull it out.

In my opinion, the USPc 40 or P2000 40 would be a better choice than either the USPc 9mm or the P2000 9mm, however I would strongly suggest that you spend a little time with the USPc 45 and think about the fastest way to disable or slow an attacker in close quarters who means to do you or a loved one great bodily harm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even though you stated that the P7M8 is not in your budget, I would save up a little longer and not sacrifice. I currently carry a G33 only because of it's size, but I too have always been concerned about the lack of support within the Glock chambers. Once I practice with the P7 and take some classes with it, I will be switching. It is the safest, most accurate CCW sized pistol I have ever shot.

·
1,243 Posts
PackerFan said:
Even though you stated that the P7M8 is not in your budget, I would save up a little longer and not sacrifice. I currently carry a G33 only because of it's size, but I too have always been concerned about the lack of support within the Glock chambers. Once I practice with the P7 and take some classes with it, I will be switching. It is the safest, most accurate CCW sized pistol I have ever shot.
I agree 100% Get the best there is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I reject the premise that other guns besides P7's are sacrifices. He's already narrowed it down, let's try to help him within the parameters he's given us. *vote cast*

·
Registered
67 Posts
USPc .45, I like to sling a large load! orfeo thinks the same way I do as far as the self defense scenerio

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got to second Orfeo - do indeed try the USPc .45 - you won't be disappointed. I have a P2000 .40 cal and a USPc .45 - prefer the .45 over the .40. I carry the .45 always.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
P7M8 is the ultimate carry gun. little more of a challenge to find leather for them than current production handguns, but none the less, they are the most comfortable/best carry gun!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know it's not one of your options, but if you are into versitility you could get yourself a USP-c .40 and pick up a .357 SIG barrel when you're ready.
I'm really starting to like the .357 SIG. Just my .02 on an option that's out there. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts