HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently started working on a concept for a simple tri-rail bracket in my free time. Only issue is I am working overseas and do not have access to my SL8/G36 to take accurate measurements. I have the 3D model I am working with scaled to fairly accurate dimensions based general specifications I looked up on H&Ks website.The concept is 80% complete. Check out the photos. I am not an engineer and I am new here but I thought I'd share this and see what input, opinions, or help I can get from the more knowledgeable members.

I haven't been able to decide the best way to go about this, but I have it narrowed down to 3 possibilities:

1. one piece machined aluminum system with rails that bolts up via the existing 4 mounting points on either side of the handguard.
2. a bracket with only the top rail machined into it as one piece that bolts up behind existing aftermarket side rails.
3. The bracket alone that would utilize existing removeable rail sections.

Any insightful recommendations regarding dimensions, materials, configuration, 3d or CAD drafting, rapid prototyping experiences, etc.

(Model of G36K not created by me)

Thanks for any interest or input.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I admire your effort, but why make this?
I wonder if there is a demand for this.

of your 3 options, the second one sounds the best. A simple way to get a top rail and a secure way of mounting it to the existing rail options.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I am not designing the part to make a profit. I was just looking at the aftermarket options out there (B&T, Knights, etc.) and they are all costly for the capability you gain beyond HKs factory configuration. Specifically, a rail inline with and over the bore.

I think you are right about option 2 but depending on how much it costs to have a prototype printed I might go forward with all three. Initially at least, as there is not much difference between the three in design or in terms of time drafting. The common and most time consuming component to get right is the bracket itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make a bracket from stamped sheet metal. That way it will keep cost down. Keep in mind that you need to align that top rail somehow.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
You wouldn't even have to stamp it , just cut or punch it on a laser or turret . You could punch a couple of bosses in the bracket to locate the rails . It wouldn't be that much money to make . Like someone else just mentioned , how many people would be interested ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where did you get the G36 model? It looks pretty clean. I have laser scan data of most g36 parts. Might be able to help if you need more accurate measurements.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The program I am using is called sketchup. The G36K model I downloaded from a shared database (3D warehouse feature). It is an extremely detailed model but it is not 1:1 scale. I got it as close as possible overall length of the model is 34". H&K advertises 33.85" OAL on their page. So, yes, any help with accurate data of the handguard would enable me to draw a first prototype. thanks for the posts and any help!!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Are you trying to attach this metal "shroud " using the bottom of the existing guard ? I had an SL-8 so I am familiar with what you are trying to do . For what you are wanting to do it's going to need to be a one piece construction , yep , just like the stock one only different . Your best option is going to be to use whatever existing stock piece you have and basically mill holes and fabricate some internal brackets to tie the rails together . Even if you do it this way the rails aren't going to be parallel with anything ,and would have to be shimmed if that's what you want . Just curious , what's the top rail doin' ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mounting to the 4 points on either side of the handguard.

Finished the concept today. Attached pics.

Only need to check the dimensions against an actual G36k handguard. I would appreciate it if you can provide that data SpookyDan.

Thinking of a few minor tweaks like getting the top rail as low to the handguard as possible and beveling edges. There is some extra material that I think I can omit from the first prototype.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This project is starting to shape up. I think the bracket idea is not as feasible as I initially thought. The one-piece system is coming along pretty good. After taking a break and looking at it..now I have the idea to go-big-or-go-home and extend the rail across the top of the entire receiver creating a complete system with the integrated side rails.

I still need accurate measurements if somebody, anybody can help with that...

check out the latest pics.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts