HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HKpro is one place where I do not have to explain the "gun" bug, most of you understand. Sometimes there is no logic or common sense in wanting a particular firearm or sometimes things just do that "jump out" phenomena at you.

Lately it's been all about the HK P9s. I've reviewed the various posts here and around the net. I always try and research and learn all about my next potential purchase. I'm a full convert into the HK delayed roller-locking system from my HK-G3/91/PTR-91 research and purchase. When I first found that HK developed a pistol utilizing their knowledge and tech using this roller system, it ignited a firestorm of desire and intrigue within me. Further research shows all sorts of praise concerning the P9s accuracy, reliability, etc and I fully believe it all.

My main concern is that I am biased and am wearing the "rose colored" glasses. I need some honest thoughts on disadvantages of the P9s compared to say a newer/other HK purchase such as a USP(c) 9mm or a P2000/P30/P7. However these models don't stoke the fire like the P9s has. 9mm is optimal if I don't want to add another caliber, however the HK 45c/USP 45c also are very intriguing due to the allure of the .45acp round and some desire to diversify. I own a Glock 17 gen 2, Walther P-1, and a Ruger Mark III 22lr for handguns currently.

I've observed decent looking P9s shooters for approximately $600.00 or so on auction boards. I want a shooter, not a safe queen but I don't want it beat up looking too much, as to me that does show a little bit on how the firearm was taking care of in the past.

-Things I think could be disadvantages:

1. Availability and prices of parts. It appears that the P9s buffers are available, inexpensive, and being the most common worn out part, that is fine. However, what about a replacement bolt or carrier? Extractor? Commonly worn or problem springs, etc? Bolts look to be over 300 dollars, same with the carrier. Extractor a bit better but 75 dollars. Simple springs look kinda pricy but maybe I am spoiled over the cheapness of the HK91/PTR parts? Strangely I do not worry at all about the cost/avail of parts/spares for my other firearms, probably because of the large availability and low cost of spares for the rest of them. I know a fix is only a phone call and a few days away for shipping. Magazines don't look too crazy $$$ wise, I've seen much worse and usually for handguns I try and have about 5-7 total mags, so that is not going to break the bank.

2. Lack of good modern holsters, mainly good IWB conceal carry ones. My next handgun purchase really wants to be a CCW option, at least in a backup/2nd choice capacity. I wear my Glock 17 in a Comp-tac CTAC IWB holster. Surprised in how deep and concealed the full size pistol is on me and with my velcro backed Looper pistol belt and the different clip options/tuckability I really like these Comp-tac kydex holsters, the Glock 17 vanishes. I see options for all the HK's at Comp-tac except the VP70 and P9s. Note: I really do not like uncle mikes generic fabric type holsters. What are others using for holsters on this classic HK model?

3. I could switch firearm types completely, and use the $$$ to purchase a C-93 rifle which I would love to add as a sister gun to the PTR-91f I do have. The bad: I really do not want to deal with all the potential heartaches that a C-93 purchase could open up on me. The cost of the magazines also is a big downfall, for my rifles I like to have 8-12 mags available. That will end up costing as much as the rifle itself. Sending it off to Parabellum or Dakota if there are problems would not be a concern due to their stellar reputations, but again there is another almost doubling of the rifle cost there.

4. I can't think of any more reasons. What else is there to consider? There is a top end budget of around 800 dollars max. I'm analytical and my apologies on post length, I'm packing mucho information here! Perhaps this thought out post on paper will get someone else's mind turning if they are considering an older but classic/historical/Cool HK purchase. Any responses are appreciated! Thank you everyone, have a safe weekend!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,373 Posts
I understand the "bug" and think you have turned in a good direction with the P9S. With the price range you are discussing, it looks like the Combat in 9mm is going to be your fit. Nice examples of the .45 or either calibers in the Target model are more expensive.
As for the "why" over other models, that is up to opinion, so here is mine. The single stack has always fit my hand better than the more recent double stacks. Combined with the grip angle and the function of the operation just seem to fit me perfectly. If you're a lefty, this may not be the case due to the decocking mechanism. The G3 derived bolt makes the pistol extremely low recoil, even in .45, and the fixed barrel, makes it more accurate than most shooters deserve.
As for parts, they can be hard to find and expensive if you do. Still beside the buffer, I have never had to replace anything on any of my pistols...and I have and currently own several. Magazines are probably the biggest challenge, but whichever one you buy should come with at least two. The 9mm benefits from having quality aftermarket examples available from keepshooting.com. I don't use them for carry, but do at the range and they have not failed me.
Holsters are also a challenge, as many of the bigger companies have stopped offering them. Haugen Leather still does though and I have a couple of nice IWB examples from them. Blackhawk offers a simple "universal" holster for around $12 that works great too. Bladetech also offers some models in their Kydex.
For me, I just prefer the P7 and P9 line up when it comes to pistols. Their form, fit, function, accuracy and reliability is all I could ask for. I shoot them better than anything else either, which is why I have so many and am happy to sing their praises on this site or on the range.
My recommendation is to be patient and buy the best quality, lowest round count example you can find and enjoy. If you get a nice shooter, then even if you decide that it does not scratch your itch, you will be able to get your money back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,

Thank you for the reply and reassurances. After your reply I re-searched all the P9s threads here again and noticed your handle in many of them. Your expertise and honest thoughts are appreciated and I learned a lot of information from them ( and of course with everyone else's posts too!)

I skipped by several P9s's that were on gun broker. They just did not jump out at me and the conditions didn't look the best. Watching the same auctions roll over and over and over the last few weeks of history was not reassuring either.

I was preparing for a longer wait time, and that is when I found her at another place! I'll make a new post with her intro, just finished the transfer last evening. I think she is beautiful! I can't wait to share her with you all with a few pics in a little bit. My first real HK! (Had all clones or various HK parts in builds before) Very happy I made it a HK P9s. :)

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,373 Posts
You're among friends here and we're always happy to provide advice and experience. Congrats on the purchase. We look forward to seeing the photos.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I don't know if this is what you were asking but I had a P9s in .45. I had some problems. Finding a couple of extra magazines was not easy and they were expensive. This was about four years ago, iirc. I was advised to check the buffer located in the housing. There is a certain way the housing is to be taken apart dealing with screws that fit into each other. My housing was of the first generation and required four hands to reinstall. The buffer was gelatinous. I put in a new five dollar buffer and went shooting. It was amazingly accurate and soft shooting. It took me a little while to get used to the manual of arms. I really didn't get to love the decocker etc. I also noticed my spent casings were scratched up the sides upon ejecting. I then noticed my front sight was bent to one side. I called Travis at HK and sent it in. They polished the ramp, replaced the sight and installed a later generation of buffer housing which was much easier to take apart to check on the buffer. When I got it back, I still would have a jam of some kind on rare occassions. I finally was disenchanted with the gun and sold it for a loss, even though it shot like no other. I was just sick of dealing with it. This is just my experience and in no way is a negative reflection on the P9S .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts