HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started carrying a USPc 9mm about 8-10 months ago. The only holster I've got at the moment is a paddle holster, which of course makes my handgun about as concealable as a full-size shotgun. I've narrowed my search down to three holsters (though I'm open to considering others that I may have overlooked). The first is a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C., the second is a Galco SkyOps, and the third (on the recommendation of someone I work with) is a Blade-Tech. Obviously with the selection, concealment is priority #1. I'm about 6'2", 165lbs. I would ideally like a holster that I can carry either on the side or at the 5-6 o'clock position. So the real questions are whether any of these will allow the versatility in carrying position that I'm looking for, I'm open to comments on how concealable and comfortable each of them are, and any recommendations since I don't currently have the financial means to just buy one of each. Lastly, I had heard somewhere that some of the composite holsters can really tear up the blued finish on the gun...something I would obviously like to avoid. Anyone willing to offer their opinion and give some advice? Thanks...greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never seen a holster than didn't cause some wear but Kydex and plastic do tend to be harder on the finish vs. leather. I have some decent kydex holster, but since I wear IWB, I don't find kydex very forgiving or comfortable. You realy need a system of a good holster, belt, etc. They all kind of work together. Personally, I like this set up from http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/LFIRIGA.html It's an IWB, very thin yet stable, and you get all you need at a good price. Plus they tend to get their stuff out to you in about a month.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about something like this? 1/2 kydex-1/2 leather MTAC

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a Comp-Tac MTAC on order too for my new P2000. A very nice holster and they ship fast. Hard to beat for the price as well. FYI for those who have holsters for the Springfield XD....although tolerances vary from holster to holster, for the most part a holster designed for an XD will also fit a P2000- especially the all-leather.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You really want a great holster get a www.fist-inc.com in the hybred of leather outside and kydex inside . I would suggest a high ride with an FBI cant and a sweat sheild .Also get a really decent belt. this is about 90% of your trouble .

The fist should be in stock and they will do a 100% return if you don't like it. They are on the east coast and not as pricey as the stuff pre menchened. or as large. It's the modle K2 and it works great!!! TJ

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bladetech makes nice holsters, but they arent made for concealment, their mounting hardware is pretty large, it might as well be a paddle. The most concealable holsters I have found for the USP series is the Milt Sparks I-BAK which is their version of a pancake holster. I can conceal a USPf 45 with no problems in that thing...only issue is their is about a 4 - 6 month wait at all times with Sparks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Obviously with the selection, concealment is priority #1. I'm about 6'2", 165lbs. I would ideally like a holster that I can carry either on the side or at the 5-6 o'clock position.
I would guess from the stats that you are of slim build. So thinness of your holster system might be important for concealment. I am not as slim as you but it is still a problem for me.

Consider also the CrossBreed supertuck. More tuckable for me than the CTAC, which is a good holster as well. The M-TAC looks like potentially a great compromise. "The Answer" by Tucker is a similar idea, but I am told it is thicker. Most people seem to love it. I haven't used the M-TAC or the Tucker Answer.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html

For great, cheap concealment, but a somewhat slower draw, try this:
http://smartcarry.com/
Not as sexy, but works extremely well, conceals with almost anything you wear (and I mean anything, except things like bike shorts or tight leather biker pants ;)). Seriously, if concealment is truly priority #1, you should think about this.

HTH,
Dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
one of my friends has the skyops and he HATES IT and rarely uses it now. I have the ctac and like it. the mtac looks even better with the leather backing. i believe that would make the comp-tac even more comfortable.

consider the versamax II.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had good experiences with the leather holsters from Don Hume.

I like the 715 IWB and 721 OT OWB

NFI in Don Hume

Enjoy!

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to admit, I wasn't ever terribly impressed by the Bladetech. I considered that more on the recommendation of a friend who uses one to carry a Kimber .45 and swears by it. I'd heard some negative comments about the Skyops as one or two of you had mentioned, so that's still somewhat in line with what I'd heard. DKK73, I had a look at the CrossBreed holsters that you had mentioned and really liked what I saw. While I say concealment is priority #1, I do also want to be able to access my weapon if I am ever in a situation where I need it. The CrossBreed products that you mentioned looked nice, as did the MTAC...not really seeing much difference between the two of them. That said, since the MTAC is only $4-5 more than the CrossBreed and appears to have a much shorter wait-time, I think I'm leaning toward the MTAC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My new MTAC just came in the mail today and I love it. Very comfortable, and very concealable. My wife was probably the biggest skeptic that I could pull it off (wear it w/o it being obvious) and even she was convinced. Thanks to everyone for their input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts