HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering the purchase of a folding stock for my MP5K. It would appear that the two choices are Choate and Brugger & Thomet. I am inclined towards the B&T 11.25' as offered by DSA with quick release swivel. I understand that the Choate is original H&K equipment as fitted to the PDW. I am concerned in that while it would stand to reason that the Choate maintains ideal line of sight (drop?), the B&T might not. I would like to be sure that the B&T would work perfectly for aiming either with open sights or with opticat sights. Your help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Best regards.
http://www.geocities.com/marugcor/armas.html

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I had B&T & Choate... B&T is superior in every ways.
It's more modern design and very high-quality stuff.
You can't go wrong with B&T... my vote goes to B&T.:)

I am considering the purchase of a folding stock for my MP5K. It would appear that the two choices are Choate and Brugger & Thomet. I am inclined towards the B&T 11.25' as offered by DSA with quick release swivel. I understand that the Choate is original H&K equipment as fitted to the PDW. I am concerned in that while it would stand to reason that the Choate maintains ideal line of sight (drop?), the B&T might not. I would like to be sure that the B&T would work perfectly for aiming either with open sights or with opticat sights. Your help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Best regards.
http://www.geocities.com/marugcor/armas.html

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Or you could go with a K adapter and an A3 stock. Personally I think they look money and you don't have to worry about the stock folding to either side. If you're interested I'll find the weblink for the Adapter. This is what I'm putting on mine. Also if you can find a mini uzi side folder RDTS can put together a really cool low profile folder. Check out their site.
www.rdts.com

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72175

If the thread above works it will show you an MP5KA3.

regards,

R.

·
Registered
788 Posts
B+T. Great stock. It is a bit wider than the Choate/HK when folded, but in every other way it is superior.
Here is my baby.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again to all. It appears that, after discarding the possibility of a Choate, I would have the choice of an A3 stock W/adapter, at the expense of weight, and the B&T at the expense of additional width when folded. At the outset I feel more inclined to go with the B&T under the theory that the trade-off in width is better, given the advantages in lightness, ease of use, and build quality. What do you think? Best regards.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
The easiest way to make that decision is to ask the simple question of, " do your rails have the plate welded over them or do you have the capability to add a rail stock?" If you have the ability I'd do it. The side folders are great! If that's your oly option, I'd pick the B&T as well. If you have the reciever that allows the the use of an adapter and an A3 stock, well I'd go for it. It's more compact and I would think the weight would be a non-issue.

r.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess I am the only one who likes the Choate. I have them both and I agree that the B&T is superior in every way. I have one on my MP5 and love it. However, I personally kept the HK marked choate on my MP5K-PDW so it has the original look. It is a bit smaller than the B&T and I just love the classic look. The MP5K-PDW is the only gun I have that has nothing added (lasers, optics, etc) to it. I even had a hard time deciding on the picto trigger but needed it for when I swap out my sear

If you can, get them both and then decide.

Just my .02

·
Registered
670 Posts
Although I do not personally have one of the B&T stocks to compare it too I believe the Choate is good looking stock and it seems to be comfortable enough for me and the others who have shot my K in the past.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HK51FAN has a point. Upon closer inspection, my MP5K has a welded plate which would prevent the use of the A3 stock. I guess it will be the B&T; however I have noticed in DSA's page for the B&T 11.25', that they advise that if a quick detach swivel is specified, I would have to "open up the front or rear holes to 5/16'" Does anyone know what this means? I do want to have the quick detach swivel, but I do not want to in any way alter or modify my K. Can anyone also recomend the best tactical sling? Thanks to all for your patience and great help! Best regards.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess I am the only one who likes the Choate. I have them both and I agree that the B&T is superior in every way. I have one on my MP5 and love it. However, I personally kept the HK marked choate on my MP5K-PDW so it has the original look. It is a bit smaller than the B&T and I just love the classic look. The MP5K-PDW is the only gun I have that has nothing added (lasers, optics, etc) to it. I even had a hard time deciding on the picto trigger but needed it for when I swap out my sear

If you can, get them both and then decide.

Just my .02
+1! I'm a traditionalist, I prefer the look of the Choate stock also. But I understand those that prefer the B&T stock for it's functionality.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also like the original look of the Choate as the HKMP5K-PDW is my dream gun but I have no experience with the B&T so I can't give an unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
788 Posts
HK51FAN has a point. Upon closer inspection, my MP5K has a welded plate which would prevent the use of the A3 stock. I guess it will be the B&T; however I have noticed in DSA's page for the B&T 11.25', that they advise that if a quick detach swivel is specified, I would have to "open up the front or rear holes to 5/16'" Does anyone know what this means? I do want to have the quick detach swivel, but I do not want to in any way alter or modify my K. Can anyone also recomend the best tactical sling? Thanks to all for your patience and great help! Best regards.
They are talking about the hole in the stock which you have to open up if you want to attach a swivel, not the gun.
The Choate is OK, having had that I can compare directly: the cheek weld is superior on the B+T and it attaches very firmly without any play to the receiver. The top rail of the B+T has a rubbery surface molded into it. The lockup of the stock is solid when open. I sold my Choate. I use a B+T on my MP5 SBR, but I keep the A3 stock for looks. The metal rail is just not as comfortable to put your face on.

·
Registered
138 Posts

You would think it would be a good idea but it interferes with the K-models ability to be shot one handed like a pistol. The club of the foot blocks the pistol grip. Stick with the classic Choate stock. HK knew what they where doing when they chose that stock…

http://www.choatestocks.com/HKStock.html

$139 dollars well spent

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have fired the mp5k with both stocks. I will say without hesitation the B &T stock is far more comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

You would think it would be a good idea but it interferes with the K-models ability to be shot one handed like a pistol. The club of the foot blocks the pistol grip. Stick with the classic Choate stock. HK knew what they where doing when they chose that stock…

http://www.choatestocks.com/HKStock.html

$139 dollars well spent

What's up with that Navy lower & SEF selector?
Does the selector locks in place since Navy lower does not have selector position holes...??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts