HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to slightly modify the right side of my P30's mag release lever. There is a hot spot that irritates my middle finger. I'd like to remove the paddle from the frame to sand it down a bit. Is there an easy way to do this? Looks like i'd have to remove a roll pin, is it reusable or would I need to replace it? Any walk throughs for this on the forum?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
The roll pin is reusable and the bright side of things, if you screw the job up, the mag release is cheap and easy to replace.

As for removing just pop the roll pin and catch the mag release. Be careful and lookout for the small spring that is between the mag release and frame. It will fly if you don't watch for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's an easy one...just be careful with the spring. You have to use something (I used a flat tip jewelers screwdriver) to help get the spring in there exactly right. Here's the way my deal went:

Drive out the pin with a 3/32 roll pin punch (or something real close to that)...easy money, couldn't have gone better.

Pull the lever out, be careful the spring stays with it. Money. Perfect.

To replace, put the end of the spring back in the hole in the mag release. Check.

Start the release back in the frame. Check.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. BOIIIIING!! Spend 10 minutes hunting spring.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. BOIIIIING!! Pick up the spring from under the capture box I'm using over my hands, the pistol, that part of the bench because I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and I know how this goes.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. Ooops. I bent the spring a little because I'm forcing it. Spend 10 minutes with a tiny needle nose putting it back kind of like it was.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the kinda bent spring back where it belongs in the frame. CHECK! I don't know what I did differently, but it popped right in and the mag release popped into position when it did.

In short: use a capture box, towel etc. so if that spring pops you won't lose it. Be patient. You have to finesse that spring a little. If you force it with whatever you're using to help get it in there, it's easy to bend. It's really pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It's an easy one...just be careful with the spring. You have to use something (I used a flat tip jewelers screwdriver) to help get the spring in there exactly right. Here's the way my deal went:

Drive out the pin with a 3/32 roll pin punch (or something real close to that)...easy money, couldn't have gone better.

Pull the lever out, be careful the spring stays with it. Money. Perfect.

To replace, put the end of the spring back in the hole in the mag release. Check.

Start the release back in the frame. Check.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. BOIIIIING!! Spend 10 minutes hunting spring.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. BOIIIIING!! Pick up the spring from under the capture box I'm using over my hands, the pistol, that part of the bench because I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and I know how this goes.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the spring back where it belongs in the frame. Ooops. I bent the spring a little because I'm forcing it. Spend 10 minutes with a tiny needle nose putting it back kind of like it was.

Now use the screwdriver to assist in getting the kinda bent spring back where it belongs in the frame. CHECK! I don't know what I did differently, but it popped right in and the mag release popped into position when it did.

In short: use a capture box, towel etc. so if that spring pops you won't lose it. Be patient. You have to finesse that spring a little. If you force it with whatever you're using to help get it in there, it's easy to bend. It's really pretty easy.
Dude, that was way more complicated and drawn out than the process needs to be. I'm not a particularly mechanically inclined person either, but it's really as easy as swapping batteries on the TV remote.

If you handed a monkey a pen and a butter knife it could figure out how to take off/put back the mag release.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude, that was way more complicated and drawn out than the process needs to be. I'm not a particularly mechanically inclined person either, but it's really as easy as swapping batteries on the TV remote.

If you handed a monkey a pen and a butter knife it could figure out how to take off/put back the mag release.
I didn't have a monkey handy at the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P30 magazine release

OK. Got it done. Really was not a big deal at all. The hardest part is getting the spring seated correctly. Then it’s just a matter of getting the roll pin back in. This is where a gauge pin set comes in handy. With a gauge pin set you have endless supplies of slave pins to use in any combination you need.

What the part looks like removed from the frame, magazine release, spring, roll pin:

Once the mag release and spring are seated I use a gauge pin smaller than the roll pin to hold it in place:

Then I use another gauge pin to drive the roll pin through while the first gauge pin acts as a guide:

Makes it really easy. This thing is easily one of the best investments for diy repairs and minor work on guns. Gauge set from enco, cost me like $20:

Finished product:

Feels good. When I get as high a grip on the gun as possible it doesn’t automatically create a hot spot like it use to. But only a range session will tell the tale. Thanks for the help guys.

Happy shootin’

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far the trench only occasionally bites me and its only when I put too much finger on the trigger. That looks like a smooth job. Why does HK put that trench there? Is it supposed to serve some purpose?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts