HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running their USC with the Hera-Arms folding stock conversion? If so, how do you like it and what is the build quality like? I see that LAN World has them available as well as the Hera-Arms 20 round mags. I own a few of their magazines and they are top notch. The stock looks to be a good way to go without pulling the whole USC/UMP conversion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The last time I looked into this, the sticking point was that 922(r) came into play when using the Hera stock, and there weren't enough US made parts available to make it a legal conversion. I see that the 9mm conversion kits give you three US-made parts, which should put you into the safe zone, but that's $900 and a caliber switch to make it a viable option.

That said, maybe I'm missing out on a bunch of US-made components that are now available for the USC/UMP that would make tackling 922(r) much easier and cost-effective???

Edited to add: I now see that a US-made trigger, sear, and barrel are available, so getting the 922(r) job squared away should be much more feasible, albeit still pricey.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Is the Hera Arms piece the only option to get a folding stock on a USC? Just looking for a cheaper option that doesn't involve me replacing my USC lower and costs less than the $560 Hera charges i.e. I only want to replace the crappy "thumbhole" USC stock. I don't care about 922(r) compliance since I'll probably be buying HDPS' 7.87" barrel and registering my USC as an SBR. I don't want to do or spend the money on the full UMP conversion, either.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You could always do a grease gun magazine conversion Kabob. It's less expensive, looks more like a UMP than the USC does and the magazines are much less expensive than the UMP .45 ones are right now. Do a search for "grease gun" and "top notch".

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could always do a grease gun magazine conversion Kabob. It's less expensive, looks more like a UMP than the USC does and the magazines are much less expensive than the UMP .45 ones are right now. Do a search for "grease gun" and "top notch".
+1 on the grease gun conversion. The receiver, pistol grip, folding stock and M3 mags are all US made which count towards 922r if not doing an SBR. I got mine from Hkparts.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Is the Hera Arms piece the only option to get a folding stock on a USC? Just looking for a cheaper option that doesn't involve me replacing my USC lower and costs less than the $560 Hera charges i.e. I only want to replace the crappy "thumbhole" USC stock. I don't care about 922(r) compliance since I'll probably be buying HDPS' 7.87" barrel and registering my USC as an SBR. I don't want to do or spend the money on the full UMP conversion, either.
Actually 922r still applies on SBRs.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Not that I would normally recommend promag but if you went with hera stock and used the promag mags (being US made) you'd be good to go.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Actually 922r still applies on SBRs.
Ah, fudge. I didn't realize that the ATFE clarified (haha, a non sequitur if I ever heard one) that this year. Well, there goes my SBR idea. I am not wasting money on the tax stamp or engraving my carbine all so I can shoot less accurately and with a lower muzzle velocity if I still have to also spend the money to be 922(r) compliant.

I just can't get over how ugly grease gun mags look on the USC/UMP. Plus, I was trying to avoid having to pull my trigger group out of the factory lower and transferring it to another one. Does anybody know if Top Notch is still in business? Their M3 conversion's been out of stock with HKParts and they haven't updated their site in almost 3 years.

Not that I would normally recommend promag but if you went with hera stock and used the promag mags (being US made) you'd be good to go.
Really? That counts as enough parts? In that case, I'll probably just do that.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well, the grease gun mod is out for much the same reasons as, cost aside, I didn't want to do the UMP conversion. Both require you to dremel out the magwell in the receiver of the USC to accommodate wider magazines. I want to keep this a bolt-on affair so that I can return the USC back to original.

Thanks for the info, guys, looks like I'm just going to have to bite the proverbial bullet and eat the cost of the Hera folder.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Should be enough parts. The promag has a body, follower and floor plate. Although you'd not be allowed to use your HK USC mag because then you'd violate 922r.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm just glad I live in Texas. Almost everyone I've talked with either didn't know what it was or didn't seem to care. Including my cop buddies! I'll keep a spare Promag in the bag every time I shoot, just in case. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out T'bostic USC stock conversion, non-folding but a cheap way to get the UMP look, get promag magazine and your 922r good to go.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm not all that interested in his fixed stock since it's a modified USC stock. One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Hera or a UMP option is that it shortens the length of pull. At 5'9", I'm not particularly tall. Although I did PM him to see if he was still doing the widening on the magwell of the USC lower to accommodate UMP mags. Thanks for the heads up :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
check out tbostic. I bought one of his conversions - around $120 or so if I remember correctly. He cuts and re-welds the original USC stock - he does a great job - by far the cheapest route

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got the Hera Arms folding stock conversion for my USC, and I can say that it's going back in the box to return! First the hold where the buffer fits is too big, so it does not stay in place. The molding feels a little cheap, but looks accurate. The butt stock pad is too big for the slot that it fits in to, so that moves around as well. The grip is as big as the original USC grip. When I hold the USC by the handle, it does not balance very well, and I feel like it's going to fall off from where it attaches to the trigger.

I ordered 2 at the time because I also wanted to try out their AR conversion stock, but Lanworld sent me 2. I have sent a message to both Lanworld and Hear Arms. The guy at Hera told me he would check with their production team.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just got the Hera Arms folding stock conversion for my USC, and I can say that it's going back in the box to return! First the hold where the buffer fits is too big, so it does not stay in place. The molding feels a little cheap, but looks accurate. The butt stock pad is too big for the slot that it fits in to, so that moves around as well. The grip is as big as the original USC grip. When I hold the USC by the handle, it does not balance very well, and I feel like it's going to fall off from where it attaches to the trigger.

I ordered 2 at the time because I also wanted to try out their AR conversion stock, but Lanworld sent me 2. I have sent a message to both Lanworld and Hear Arms. The guy at Hera told me he would check with their production team.
Let us know what they say. I was looking forward to trying out the Hera Stock.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well, good thing I'm not in a hurry, then. I can wait to hear how this turns out, too. Vehement, can you take some pictures?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is anyone running their USC with the Hera-Arms folding stock conversion? If so, how do you like it and what is the build quality like? I see that LAN World has them available as well as the Hera-Arms 20 round mags. I own a few of their magazines and they are top notch. The stock looks to be a good way to go without pulling the whole USC/UMP conversion.
I have the Hera stock conversion and the magazine. I like it and very easy to do. You don’t have to alter the USC and you can return to the original configuration anytime. I think it is an economical way of making the USC look like an UMP.
I believed somebody mention the Tom Bostic conversion. I have that too and I think it is even cheaper than the Hera. I did this conversion before Hera came out with theirs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts