HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So how much money besides the parts kit and the flat would I have to invest in this for it to work?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
So how much money besides the parts kit and the flat would I have to invest in this for it to work?
The biggest cost item is a tig welder, and the skill to use it. That is enough cost right right there that if you didn't plan on doing a bunch of them, or have use for the welding machine after the project, the cost to roll your own is a not even close to reasonable.

A decent entry tig machine (miller/lincoln) setup, and ready to run is going to be in the $2k range. Sure you can get harbor freight machines for less than that, but I don't know that you would be happy with the machine.

Add the various other tools, clamps, presses etc... and there is probably another $1000.

$3k in tooling, vs $500-1000 to have one of the reputable smiths build me one, and stand behind the build if it doesn't work right... no contest.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The biggest cost item is a tig welder, and the skill to use it. That is enough cost right right there that if you didn't plan on doing a bunch of them, or have use for the welding machine after the project, the cost to roll your own is a not even close to reasonable.

A decent entry tig machine (miller/lincoln) setup, and ready to run is going to be in the $2k range. Sure you can get harbor freight machines for less than that, but I don't know that you would be happy with the machine.

Add the various other tools, clamps, presses etc... and there is probably another $1000.

$3k in tooling, vs $500-1000 to have one of the reputable smiths build me one, and stand behind the build if it doesn't work right... no contest.
You can't really figure the cost of a welder or other fixed tooling costs part of the overall build cost, aside from the HK specific jigs. Most likely anyone that has the ability to do one of these either owns or has access to the expensive tools for the build. I can't imagine, for example, anyone with the ability to TIG weld the thin sheet metal of a flat needing to buy a welder. My HK91 clone cost me about $750. The MP5...as long as I never calculate it, I have plausible deniability as far as the wife is concerned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts