HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting IDPA matches for about 9 years or so. I've shot it with the Glock 19, Browning Hi Power, FNP 9 and last Friday was the first time shooting it with my new USPc. It worked out really well, the nice ergo's makes it easy to shoot fast and accuratly. I think I still like the Hi Power the best for the matches (long sight radius and the it's point ability) however, as a rule I alway shoot matches with my current carry gun, so the HK it is.

Still waiting for my score to be emailed, but I think I did pretty well (usually top 8 out of 30 or so shooters) My son was shooting matches with me, but he's working as a fire fighter now and has little time. My oldest daughter has started shooting it with me. The joke is, her first time out she beat 9 guys.

I alway find it funny that usually the only guns that have problems out there are 1911's. By the smell of the powder I know that most of these failures are from reloads. What do you make of that?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's great that you get your kids out there with you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Central California and we have a local match in my city. Starting next month my daughter and I will probably start traveling and attending at least on other monthly match.

Other matches that I know about within driving distance of my City:
San Luis obispo
Winton
Fresno
Taft
San Francisco
sometimes Bakersfield

I am surprised by two things: 1) My son is not so excited to shoot IDPA with me anymore 2) My daughter is excited to shoot IDPA matches with me.
I'm just really glad to have someone to play with

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
. By the smell of the powder I know that most of these failures are from reloads. What do you make of that?
You've got a good nose. And the 1911 guy has spent all his money on parts and gunsmithing, and is now forced to reload to afford to shoot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's wrong with reloading? Who doesn't like custom tailored match grade loads for half the price of cheap plinking crap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You've got a good nose. And the 1911 guy has spent all his money on parts and gunsmithing, and is now forced to reload to afford to shoot.
I'd rather reload and tailor my rounds to what I want them to do, than shoot any factory ammo at a match. I think you are being sarcastic here, but saving money by reloading because they dumped all their cash into smithing and parts is not accurate in the slightest for serious match shooters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'd rather reload and tailor my rounds to what I want them to do, than shoot any factory ammo at a match. I think you are being sarcastic here, but saving money by reloading because they dumped all their cash into smithing and parts is not accurate in the slightest for serious match shooters.
Im pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It's almost believable though!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ive been shooting IPSC for 2 years now (almost 1 yr with a USPt). local level 1 and level 2 matches, and occasionally a regional level 3. only 2 officers in our battalion are active competition shooters, me and 1 captain shooting classic.. it sure is fun to shoot with someone, it's all we talk about when not talking about work. we're encouraging the younger guys explaining how practical it is for our job and how it promotes presence of mind, confidence and responsibility. we had one lady officer shoot with us and she beat 5 guys on her first. i usually within top 30 of up to 400+ shooters in level 3, shooting to 61-75%. In level 2 matches of usually up to 160 shooters, i land top 10 consistently, top 5 only once. Recently i've been topping local level 1 matches of average 75 shooters. I want my weird looking standard gun to earn the respect of STIs. I've only shot IDPA in CDP with a 1911 though. it's not as popular here and it's not so often you'd come by matches. good luck Mr. N! shooting is really a good way to bond. I'm detemined to marry a practical shooter! LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what to say about the 1911 stuff. All I know is, WAY more often than not, the failures happen in 1911's and I either smell the reload powder or I can see inconsistent recoil, shell ejection and/or muzzle flash. Those of us who use WWB have no problem whatsoever. Can't argue with 9 years of observation.

One thing I don't get is, of the guys I talk who are all gung ho on shooting and know everything about everything, I've not had one come shoot with me when invited.

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 on this. i'd rather shoot my load. on the last match my velocities in chrono read: 1st string -921, 919, 919, second string-919, 920, 919. failed to make 170, but how could factory ammo ever beat this?

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
I've shot IDPA with my P2000 in 9mm and in 40. And recently, my HK45. I just got for practice and not to keep score. I have fun with it when the wait isn't too long.

On the 1911 subject, I have seen EVERY possible malfunction/stoppage occur with a 1911, including a kaboom with FACTORY ammo! I own two 1911's and I wouldn't trust my life to them. That's what I have an HK for.

1911s Suck - YouTube
I agree with him 110% on everything he says.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Im pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It's almost believable though!
Yep pure sarcasm... but there is an element of truth there too.

Lots of people show up and think good gear is going to make up for lack of skill. They spend a bunch of money on custom everything and can't understand why the kid, with the bone stock glock 19 is still beating him.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They spend a bunch of money on custom everything and can't understand why the kid, with the bone stock glock 19 is still beating him.
At my local USPSA shoots, it's a 14 year old girl with a Glock 19 that blows 75% of the guys away...it's kinda embarassing.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I've shot IDPA with my P2000 in 9mm and in 40. And recently, my HK45. I just got for practice and not to keep score. I have fun with it when the wait isn't too long.

On the 1911 subject, I have seen EVERY possible malfunction/stoppage occur with a 1911, including a kaboom with FACTORY ammo! I own two 1911's and I wouldn't trust my life to them. That's what I have an HK for.

1911s Suck - YouTube
I agree with him 110% on everything he says.
Dude, agreeing with Yeager is not something I would consider on a public forum.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Not sure what to say about the 1911 stuff. All I know is, WAY more often than not, the failures happen in 1911's and I either smell the reload powder or I can see inconsistent recoil, shell ejection and/or muzzle flash. Those of us who use WWB have no problem whatsoever. Can't argue with 9 years of observation.
It's like cars or bikes or anything else that people like to modify for performance. Some know what their doing and others are just playing the part. It does seem like the 1911 is the preferred platform for those that do like to tinker.

One thing I don't get is, of the guys I talk who are all gung ho on shooting and know everything about everything, I've not had one come shoot with me when invited.
I've had similar results with inviting individuals who make some pretty big claims on their abilities. I've come to the realization that people who think their all that are deathly afraid of finding out that they really aren't. Especially so with an audience. It's a shame because they're missing out on a lot of fun that they could be having if they were just realistic (to themselves and others) about they're abilities and willingness to improve.

At my local USPSA shoots, it's a 14 year old girl with a Glock 19 that blows 75% of the guys away...it's kinda embarassing.
I think it's great when that happens. It humbles people pretty quick ad lights a fire under them to put some work into it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I sometimes shoot SSP in club matches with an HK45. Reloading allows me to shoot a 185gr bullet that barely makes the power factor. Besides just liking the gun, this rather cool load reduces the competitive disadvantage of shooting a 45 in SSP.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Girls and women usually shoot better than guys anyway. I've not only read and heard this from veteran shooters, I've seen it with my own eyes.
:300000000:

With some good basic skills maybe they don't over-think/over-complicate shooting like I (we) do. :wink:

My wife, for example, is a helluva pistol shooter, and she runs the hell out of her favorite Italian Beretta 92FS and others in my collection.

Similar to my golf experiences -- when I'm relaxed, not trying too hard, I play great. When I dwell on swing mechanics and minutiae, I play much worse.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:300000000:

With some good basic skills maybe they don't over-think/over-complicate shooting like I (we) do. :wink:

My wife, for example, is a helluva pistol shooter, and she runs the hell out of her favorite Italian Beretta 92FS and others in my collection.

Similar to my golf experiences -- when I'm relaxed, not trying too hard, I play great. When I dwell on swing mechanics and minutiae, I play much worse.
I think Ego has a huge part to play in it too... Guys watch shoot em up movies growing up and we think we know things like proper grip, trigger and stance. I've never seen a bigger group of "know-it-all's" than the group of guys at the ranges I go to. I decided to swallow my pride, tell my friend (who is a Veteran) that I know nothing about shooting rifles and needed alot of help and I let him teach me how to shoot. First 3 shots from 50 yards away produced a grouping less than a inch, later that afternoon I was putting rounds on top of each other and doing it all with just iron sights. Moral to the story... Check our ego at the door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts