HKPRO Forums banner

Here's why the USP Expert trigger is much better

29K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Coldhammerforged 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Most of us know that the reason the USP Expert trigger is much better than the USP Tactical trigger is due to the Match hammer spring in the Expert. I had always been curious to know if there was something else that makes the Expert trigger better but just did not have the time (or forget about it). So today I took apart my brand-new USP 9mm Tactical to find out once and for all and here's what I found.

The difference between the USP Experts and the USP Tacticals is more than just the Match hammer spring. The Trigger Rebound Spring (TRS) and Flat Sear Spring are also different. While the USP Experts have the Match trigger with stop screw, Match hammer spring, Match TRS, Match nickel-plated sear spring, and Match hammer, only the Match trigger and Match hammer are present on the USP Tacticals.

I went one step further and disassembled all of my BB through BE USP Tacticals (9/40/45), a couple of AE colored-frame USP Tacticals, and a pair of AB/AC USP 40/45 Tacticals to compare the springs. The AB/AC USP 40/45 Tacticals and AE colored-frame USP 45 Tacticals all have the Match springs just like the USP Expert; however, the BB through BE USP Tacticals do not. I am not certain when the changes took place but I suspect it probably happened sometime after AE, perhaps AK/BA?

So if you want the same sweet Expert trigger in your USP Tactical, get these parts:
• Match TRS (215679)
• Match Nickel-Plated Flat Sear Spring (215691)
• Match Hammer Spring (215694)

5lHh.jpg

A close-up picture of the different parts: 1 indicates stock USP Tactical parts and 2 is USP Expert parts

WUAGlW.jpg

See less See more
#6 ·
Very interesting! I knew there was a felt difference and that explains it. TooSixy you are the man!

#10 ·
This is why I'm here. I learn, learn and learn some more. Thx. 260 I have an AF date code on my HK USP .45 Tac.. I'll check those parts.

#13 ·
It is really neat to see the inside and parts differences of the pistols, I have always wanted to get deeper into the pistol lineup.

#17 ·
Hello everyone,

First post in the forum after lurking for a while, thought I'd share my findings so far regarding the hammer spring.

I've read a lot of conflicting info regarding whether the match hammer spring is blue or black, shorter, etc. I ordered an USP Compact spring from HKCS and received the item in the picture.

My original hammer spring appeared blue but upon removal was part black. The spring I received is part blue/black as well yet slightly shorter like the one in OP's pictures.

I didn't feel an awful lot lot of difference so I ordered a trigger pull gauge since I was planning to get one anyway.

It seems HKParts has the black match hammer spring albeit at almost 4x the cost+ shipping of HKCS, I'm tempted to try it out as well since I'll probably get the TRS pliers.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any insight on why the parts look the way they do or if it's of any importance.
Your original hammer spring? From what gun?

This might help.
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-hand...usp45-tactical-match-trigger.html#post3190417

I'd suggest you start a new thread and not hijack this thread.

#22 ·
Right, the USP Tactical hammer spring is the one on the top in my picture, 215694 on the bottom with the bag and the description it comes under as shipped from HKCS. I asked H&K and HKParts. Will let you know what I find out.

Edit: Turns out it was a warehouse error, they overnighted the correct spring and it's working as intended.The correct spring is bare-metal as you said.
Who are "they"? HKCS or HKParts?

#21 ·
This thread is very very informative for me. I can confirm, my USP 45 Tactical “AH” date code, after a detailed disassembly has all of the USP Expert match parts installed. My USP 45 Tactical gets better and better the longer I own it!

Thanks to @TooSixy.

I’ve found out so far from this forum and member; I’ve got a very rare Eagle Industries HK bag that it was included with, and my USP has all of the USP Expert match trigger parts!

I only paid $850 for it. It is in excellent condition, and I feel blessed! I love it, and I’m going to enjoy putting thousands of rounds through.

I could have sworn that this guns trigger felt abnormally good!

#23 ·
Shout out to TooSixy for starting this thread. I recently took ownership of a USP40 Expert and a USP45 Elite, and they are the finest DA/SA HK guns I have at this time. I always thought match triggers were the same in all USPs, and now I know better. I am tempted to get the USP Tacticals to compare the overall shootability of these guns. My HK stable is getting bigger and better!

#24 ·
There are plenty of Tacticals that have the exact same trigger as the Expert model. Only the really really old ones, or really really new ones do not have all of the match components.

So far it looks like AB through AH have the exact trigger as a expert.

That’s 2001 to 2007 it may go further than that.

#26 · (Edited)
I love this Trigger. 20 meters off hand. These guns are TAC drivers! This is a (6) shot group with my usp .45 tactical, with Federal gold medal match. I pulled the shot twice at this distance, it would’ve been less than an inch. I’ll keep practicing though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people didn’t load .45 Super in a USP Expert, or Elite and deer hunt with one.

Or used for swat teams taking out bad guys with a hostage lol. Which eyeball shall I hit? Lol

#30 ·
Does the Match Trigger Kit from H&K Customer Service come with all the correct parts to duplicate a Trigger that's on the Expert?

My AE Date Code OD Green USP Tactical. 45 has a Match Trigger identical to the Expert .45?

#31 ·
Does the Match Trigger Kit from H&K Customer Service come with all the correct parts to duplicate a Trigger that's on the Expert?

My AE Date Code OD Green USP Tactical. 45 has a Match Trigger identical to the Expert .45?
The Match Trigger Kit does have everything to duplicate the Expert trigger.

There is a very good chance your AE has all the Match parts (my AE Desert Tan and OD do) but you should double check to make sure. They all have the Match trigger with stop screw and Match hammer so you don't have to check, but next would be the hammer spring and trigger spring. Match springs will have bare-metal color (not blued or painted).

For the sear spring, you would have to remove the sear axle and sear (and detent plate), pull back the hammer, and shine a light on it. A Match sear spring is very bright (nickel-plated).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.