HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. So today was my third day at the range with my P2000 and I'm overall pretty satisfied. I was using a combination of Winchester Ranger .180gr ammo and Herter's TNJ .165gr rounds. Overall I fired 150 rounds with only one problem and I want to hope it was the ammo? I had had a jam on my first trip to the range but I attributed that to not cleaning the factory schmutz out of the slide and whatnot. This time everything was cleaned and lubed properly. The second trip was 200 rounds without a problem, and this trip was 150 rounds with one jam. I'm wondering if it was because of the combination of the two ammo types? I believe the Herter's ammo uses aluminum casings and I used those rounds second. Also, when I checked the round that it jammed on, I saw what looked to be a super tiny dent but it didn't look like enough to cause a problem. Maybe I'm nitpicking here but for a gun that I pay close to a grand for, I expect it to fire everything I feed it. Any ideas? I realize that I am very clearly a novice so any advice is good advice. Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FWIW: I have used Herters steel case (over a 1,500 rounds) in my HK45) and only had a problem when I didn't clean the gun ever 4-5 hundred rounds.) I have also used their brass cased stuff (about 500 rounds) and never had a single problem. But... that's not a P2000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I'm just really hoping it's just not a problem with the gun. It would just make me sad. I'd be much happier if I can blame a faulty round.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm assuming the gun is a .40? Did the jam occur on the 165 grain round? If so it may just need a break in with 180 grain stuff. My p30 has never even hiccuped in 4000 rounds but I had probably 1000 down it before anything lighter than 180.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's a .40 and it did jam on the 165gr. I hadn't thought about that. I guess my next couple of ammo purchases should be 180? Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
No offense here at all but guns are mechanical objects. No matter how much you pay, they can malfunction. I wouldn't be concerned over one or two rounds. You didn't say what kind of malfunction. Ftf? Fte?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to offend anyone with my lack of terminology/knowledge but the problem was where the slide didn't lock forward all the way, kind of catching the round in the process. I guess a failure to feed?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not to offend anyone with my lack of terminology/knowledge but the problem was where the slide didn't lock forward all the way, kind of catching the round in the process. I guess a failure to feed?
Sounds like a failure to feed. It may be due to limp wristing, although this is probably the least common malfunction that occurs due to limp wristing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could have been that but I'm pretty sure I was concentrating on my grip and stance, not sure enough to remember exactly though. What sort of problems usually arise as a result of limp wristing?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It could have been that but I'm pretty sure I was concentrating on my grip and stance, not sure enough to remember exactly though. What sort of problems usually arise as a result of limp wristing?
The most common limp wristing malfunction I believe is a failure to eject. However, I have had many new shooters shoot my HK's and haven't had any failure to eject issues. When they limp wrist, I usually see strange ejection paths and failure to lock the slide back after last round. Failure to feed malfunctions have only happened when my springs were old or when my gun was dirty and dry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. Maybe it wasn't lubed as much as I thought it was or as much as it needed to be? Although the gentleman at the gun store told me it really shouldn't need much oil. A drop in each of the slide grooves and a little on the top of the slide where it touches the barrel. Are there other places I should be putting oil?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting. Maybe it wasn't lubed as much as I thought it was or as much as it needed to be? Although the gentleman at the gun store told me it really shouldn't need much oil. A drop in each of the slide grooves and a little on the top of the slide where it touches the barrel. Are there other places I should be putting oil?
I was throwing out an idea as to why it might have malfunctioned that one time. But honestly I think you are thinking too much about it. Guns malfunction occasionally and that's what your gun seems to be doing. I would spend a little extra and get some quality ammo such as federal, magtech, remington, PMC, etc. At least that will help you rule out the ammo. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just some crappy quality control on individual rounds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after not being able to sleep at night due to my constant over thinking, I think I may have found a cause to this intermittent jamming, although I could still be wrong. I found what looks to be a slight fraying(?) of the plastic in the magazine follower (see photo). Could this be catching a round just enough so that it causes that millisecond delay and subsequent jam?

[/url]
IMG_0210 by bengewarmer, on Flickr[/img]

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Highly doubtful. Do you have another mag to try?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Your problem is most likey because of the steel sh!t you are putting in your gun. If you look in the manual it will say brass ammo only. Steel on steel has never been a good mix(not to mention the laquer coat on the steel casings that cause rounds to stick in the chamber), brass is the standard for a reason, extactors can grip softer metals much easier without damaging or causing excessive wear to the extractor in the process which also aids in proper ejection. I can guarantee that the USP was not tested with steel cased ammo... and for good reason.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, unfortunately I didn't have the smarts to keep track of which magazine I was using, but I noticed that the frayed plastic was not present on the other magazine.
Amstaff, I think that is also a plausible theory. I will stick to brass for the next couple of range visits and see if that doesn't make a difference. Thanks for the input, guys! I really love this gun and would hate for anything to be wrong with it, so if I can isolate the problem to peripherals, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Your problem is most likey because of the steel sh!t you are putting in your gun. If you look in the manual it will say brass ammo only. Steel on steel has never been a good mix(not to mention the laquer coat on the steel casings that cause rounds to stick in the chamber), brass is the standard for a reason, extactors can grip softer metals much easier without damaging or causing excessive wear the extractor in the process thus allowing for proper ejection. I can guarantee that the USP was not tested with steel cased ammo... and for good reason.
Excellent point just stick to the brass casings and you'll be fine and also a good cleaning never hurts either.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I don't think you will be disapointed this go around IMO and I hope you keep us updated and let us know how that goes. Also I would highly recommend that you make sure your bore and extractor claw are spotless before you start using all brass ammo, this could help with troubleshooting if you do happen to have more problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I always clean & lightly lube any new to me gun, before firing. That would be new or used. The Herters ammo is just a play off the name from decades ago, when it ment something. It's just some type of cheap iron curtain ammo labeled Herters. I'd try your other mags & better ammo, after a good take-down, clean, & lightly lube session.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
FWIW, the only stoppage I ever had with 13,900 rounds through my P2000 was due to a steel case. For me it was a failure to extract.....the steel case swells when fired, and even with the zinc-plating available on some they have a tendency to stick in chambers. It's not a theory, it's how different metals react to heat and pressure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts