HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a couple of guns in my collection that I would love to refinish. Now It's not that I dont have the money, although I have to admit I am a budget buyer, shooter and owner, I am also the kind of person that simply loves to do things myself. So I was wondering, is there any kind of finish or way to finish a handgun or, say, a hk clone that someone could do themselves that would look decent, last decent and hold up under use? And if such a product does exist, what are the steps one would take to do it? Like removing finish, sanding, prep work, application or any pre application preps that should be done? Just wondering if anyone had any experience. I have a clone I would like to redo and I also have an old 1911 that still has a lot of life left in her but just looks rough, to say the least. Thanks for any advice or if you could just point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Duracoat, very good results. Use their cleaner/degreaser , then mix the duracoat and spray on with a HVLP sprayer, or even an airbrush. On their website are some full kits also with everything you need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use Duracoat, very good results. Use their cleaner/degreaser , then mix the duracoat and spray on with a HVLP sprayer, or even an airbrush. On their website are some full kits also with everything you need.
+1, duracoat's great, but only put it on outer surfaces. It can be scratched off pretty easily from mrtal to metal contact. For example I duracoated my entire CZ-52 including the mag. After inserting the mag about ten times the mag catch scratched a thin line of duracoat off the back of the mag.

*geez how many times did I say mag in that sentence*

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go KG GunCoat on your metal parts, I reserve the DuraCoat for plastic that can't be baked.
I've refinished both my MP5s with GunCoat, and the color matches the HK Black perfectly.
In order for any finish to work best you need to blast, parkerize, spray on the finish, then bake.
Once GunCoat is baked on, it will withstand any solvent and won't scratch off.
I just finished a 1911 for a friend in Dark Earth with all the fire control parts done in Black (safety, mag release, trigger etc...), I didn't think it would look that good but darn it looks nice in person.

ETA:
Don't get me wrong, DuraCoat is a good product, it just doesn't have the durability that GunCoat does on hard wearing metal, plus with GunCoat you don't have to wait a week to reassemble, once it cools from baking it's ready to go into service.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay...so i think i have all the steps down...do i just have to take the parts in to a smith to have them parkerized then?

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
okay...so i think i have all the steps down...do i just have to take the parts in to a smith to have them parkerized then?
Unless you want to do that yourself, too. It's not an electrolytic process, just a chemical one. All you need are some pyrex or stainless steel pans. I bought some rectangular stainless steel pans at a gun show for $20.

You can get everything online as well. I parked all the parts of an old SEF pack, and some old G3 bolt carriers I had that came in with some kind of black sparklie stuff that I buffed off with a wire wheel.

It was pretty easy and came out great.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would be so cool to do it all myself. I have always wanted to do a finish on a gun, its probably one of the few projects I havent tried to tackle myself firearms wise. How long do you leave the parts in the tank to park? Once the park is done, then direct to spraying on the finish? Do you let the finish sit before baking and if so, how do you get an even coat without pressure points from sitting bleeding off the finish.

One last question and this is kind of a legal question...one of the guns I was interested in finishing myself is my old norinco project 1911. I bought this gun years ago and have been building it into a cool little custom. The only thing I never did was the finish because it was always intended as a beater. I would like to refinish the gun now because it has made it this long and now it is kind of a part of the family. Now I have seen people do this but i dont know if it's legal. The slide has a hideous norinco stamp that is off kilter and the frame has a hideous "made in china imported CSI" stamp...i have seen people sand these off before refinishing, is this legal? I have recieved mixed answers about that and I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer. Doesnt sound legal, but i intended to leave the serial numbers, just wanted to off those hideous stamps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Parking is sort of an art, once you get a few done you learn when to take out the parts.
First, low iron (ferrous) metals don't park well or at all, Stainless won't take the finish so don't even bother.
As for the rest, when the temp on your solution is hot enough and you put in the parts it will look like you dropped an Alka-Seltzer in, wait till the bubbling subsides to a light fizz and they should be ready to come out.
When they come out you should dump them into hot clean water to stop the process, and use compressed air to blow out the water and dry.
Make sure there is no oil or residue on the fresh parked pieces and then spray on your finish of choice.
DuraCoat is a binary paint that requires pre mixing and takes about an hour to dry to touch, and about a week to cure completely.
It's real "touchy" and must be applied by airbrush or HVLP spray gun IN A DUST FREE AREA (trust me on that)!
GunCoat is more forgiving, and dries in about 10 seconds, so you can spray it and set it down once the carrier flashes off.
Down side with GunCoat is that it must be baked, so get permission from the wife to use her oven to ensure continued domestic bliss.

As for the stampings, I leave them.
It's one of those areas where it's easier and safer to err on the side of caution.
They may not look pretty, but then again neither would your new cell mate if some knucklehead over zealous prosecuter decided to persue charges of altering or erasing markings.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahahahaha...wow...well said and exactly my concern. Perhaps they should just stay then. This park information is absolutely super helpful. As for domestic bliss...what is this mythical ideal that you speak of?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts