HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting an HK45c with night sights and light LEM, but I'm also interested in venturing into the 1911 arena, specially with one of the higher end production and semi-custom brands like Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, or Wilson.

At this time I've shot about 200 rounds through the HK45c (DA/SA) and Wilson CQB that my local range has available to rent. I do have previous experience with the LEM trigger.

The CQB is a bit easier to shoot because of its weight and size, but the HK... is well an HK. Having owned HKs I know I can beat the crap out of them, survive a zombie apocalypse, and know that the gun will still function with minimal maintenance/upkeep. With the 1911, it's going to need more regular care. At least this is my perception of the 1911 platform... it's a combat proven platform, but I don't want to spend more time cleaning and caring for the gun than shooting it.

For those with experience with both platforms, is my perception correct? Or are the high end 1911s just as reliable as an HK?

·
Registered
410 Posts
there are advantages to both. the high end 1911s being easier to shoot with it's weight and trigger, and i think they also ought to be reliable with the price of those things. an HK would be more convinient for carry due to the polymer frame and the finish (this would appeal to me since i'm in the tropics) for some reason i find it uncomfortable to carry a slim 1911 IWB for a long time vs. a stubby and chubby plastic gun. the long, slim and heavy grip will also be more prone to tilting around and printing if you're active. Also, no matter how it is finished, your sweat is bound wreak havoc on that seel frame, that is if you intend to IWB carry it in hot weaher.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would go with the HK45c. I think it would serve you better and is a more verstaile reliable platform IMO. Dont get me wrong I love the 1911 platform but it is dated and will require more matience compared to the HK45c. Also cost is another factor why pay 2-3K for a 1911 when u can buy a HK45c and have a gun that can do everything the 1911 can for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Read through this. It will answer a lot of questions about the HK 45 and there's also an interview with Larry Vikers and Ken Hackathorn where they touch on the HK 45c. I know it's not the 45c, but there's a ton of good info in there.

pistol-training.com » HK45

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a few nice 1911s in the past and have a NIghthawk T3 now. One weakness I have found even with the NIghthawk is the mags. I have some mags that will not feed in that NIghthawk and soome that feed perfect. I havn't shot my HK's enough to know how they run. But every 1911 I have owned has had ftf issues at some point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it's a combat proven platform, but I don't want to spend more time cleaning and caring for the gun than shooting it.

For those with experience with both platforms, is my perception correct? Or are the high end 1911s just as reliable as an HK?
Most of the top level operators and smiths that have experience with many platforms (Larry Vickers and Hilton Yam come to mind) say you need to be your own armorer when adopting the 1911 platform. You words say it all. Id go with the HK. You did not mention cost, but for the price of a Wilson you could own a few HKs, or one and enough ammo to become proficient with it. This comes from a guy that owns three 1911s (two Wilsons) and an HK45. My 1911s are very reliable, but not like the HK45, and all have been tweaked at least a bit, to improve reliability with various rounds. All that aside, if I could only grab one pistol in a zombie apocalypse it would probably be my six inch Colt Python. :wink:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I second chopperduke's recommendation to read the Vickers/Hackathorn interview, wherein they have many a word for why they wanted HK to come up with something more evolved than the 1911s then being used in some SpecOps units. Unless you are already an initiated 1911 user and aficionado, there is little reason beyond your just plain wanting to not to go w/ HK. Pistol engineering really has come some way since Browning, and there really are more durable, reliable, accurate OOTB, weapons that require less maintenance than any 1911. And HK is a primary source for such.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can say from personal experience you'll never go wrong with the HK. I've had my fair share of 1911's from Colt and Springfield to S&W and with the exception of the S&W's all have given problems in one way or the other. Everything from FTF,FTE or FTRTB issues-right out of the box. If you're a tinkerer, they're for you. If you like to get a pistol out of the box, degrease it and just shoot and get reliable feeding magazine after magazine, then I'd go with the HK.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm considering getting an HK45c with night sights and light LEM, but I'm also interested in venturing into the 1911 arena, specially with one of the higher end production and semi-custom brands like Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, or Wilson.
All these pistols will cost you more than a HK45c LEM with night sights, espicially a Wilson. I had the same thoughts and wanted to get a 1911 but I'm not willing to carry a pistol with a safety engaged so that's why I shy'd away from it...

My 2 cents... There is no comparison between a HK45/45c and a high end 1911 because HK priced a bombproof .45 pistol a very competitive price. You find me a 1911 that will run as good and reliable (without the meticulous maintence) and cost the same as a HK and I swear I will buy it right now. When it comes to the M1911 I think we all should pay homage and recognize that the 1911 was the almighty ancestor to all modern .45 acp firearms including the HK45/45c. If you have the cash then go ahead and get a Wilson if that's what you want but you know what you're getting into with the 1911, and you know what you're getting into with the HK45c.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I read that Todd Green article awhile back and it was definitely good information. Thanks for the feedback. While I did really enjoy shooting that Wilson, I don't know if I like that gun 3x as much.

Perhaps I'll get the HK45c and a GP100 plus a bunch of ammo for the same money.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Here is my feedback on recent events.

I had a Remington R1 (low end 1911 I know), and I sold it. With the funds I got from it, I picked up my HK45c from a member here. It is night and day. I Love 1911's, I really do. My smallest group to date was shot with a 1911. But, Both my HK45/HK45c are what I consider, new and improved 1911's. Which is why I like them so much now that I think about it. The HK45c while it took me a few rounds to get used to the trigger vs the full size counterpart, I found to be very accurate, easy to shoot, and reliable. I love it. It carry's well, takes a 10 round mag with or with out the elefant foot adapter plate. And, for a pistol it's size, has a great sight radius. I love it, and it is my new carry piece. (when I have to dress for warm weather that is).

It all depends on what you want really. A high dollar 1911 will shoot better, and maybe for you, perform the same as the HK45c in hostile environments. Both pistols have their benifits. And despite realizing that the HK45 is the gun that fits me the best of all so far, I will still own a few 1911's. Les Baer's and a few older colts. Because they just shoot nice. But you need to know what to do with them to make them combat ready. If you have a nice running 1911, that will go anywhere and work all the time, you are set. But what I like so much about HK's as a whole, is, I take them out of the box, clean them, and I am ready to go. The only guess work I have, is how many times to pull the trigger.

Let us know how it goes.

Here is my HK45c video if you need a push to come join us on the dark side.
HK45c (w/range time) - YouTube

·
Registered
51 Posts
There you go dude! For the record IMHO the HK 45 is one of the most accurate pistols you can buy, high end 1911s included. You will enjoy the 45C for sure. Maybe get the tactical to take advantage of a bit more ballistic enhancing barrel length. I really don't know why any serious operator that earns his living in harm's way would go with any other pistol than a 45C with the tactical barrel. Then you can put a can on it for fun...:62:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Read through this. It will answer a lot of questions about the HK 45 and there's also an interview with Larry Vikers and Ken Hackathorn where they touch on the HK 45c. I know it's not the 45c, but there's a ton of good info in there.

pistol-training.com » HK45
This post/link nails it.

I love 1911's, my first handgun was a NIB Colt MK IV Series '70 in 1975.

But 1911's aren't known for dead nuts reliability no matter how much you spend on them.

They balance well, have great 3.5 lb triggers and are easy to shoot well. But they are a 100 yr. old design and have too many mechanical issues (feed ramp, ejector tension, magazine issues, difficult to clean), etc.

I chose HK products-- I know they'll go bang every time I press the trigger.

After 35 yrs. of shooting the best handguns available, I'm firmly in the HK camp.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think that both pistols do a great job at their intended purpose. The HK45 is an amazing platform that will function where the Wilson may not. The nature of the pistol lends it self to being more reliable than a tight 1911. That being said, the Wilson is a pistol that for me would be a great range piece. I would have no issues with carrying the 1911, but after maintaining them for years; I would rather have the HK.

It depends on with you want out of the pistol. If you need a working gun, get the HK. If you want a collection piece, then get the Wilson. I would not kick either one out of my safe.

On a note about the accuracy, the HK45 and the compact version will absolutely keep up with most any high end 1911 as bsafe pointed out. That's not HK kool-aid at all, but results from Ransom Rest testing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some of us old timers were talking the other night about how to improve the 1911 platform we all used while in service. Double action capability, manual decocker, safe Cond. II carry [chambered round, safety on], higher mag capacity, easier disassembly [with no idiot marks], ambi mag release for lefties, etc. We soon realized we were really talking about the USP. Among the four of us we had just about every kind of USP available [except those new fangled LEMs and DAOs]. One of us even had a new HK45, which is just about the same thing. All things considered, I don't think you'll find a better weapon than the USP, and any competition that there may be comes from the Beretta rather than the 1911 side of the spectrum. Enjoy your new HK!

PS. Don't forget the USP can be carried Condition I, and used with a 1911 manual of arms, if you feel like it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love the HK's I own. I just picked up a Sig 1911 SS 2 weeks ago.I must say it shoots every bit as good as my 2K 1911. As much as I love my usp 45, HK 45 and P30 40s, the Sig 1911 has been flawless and deadly accurate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Hk45c, P30, Wilson CQB Dan wesson vbob and afew other various pistols. I love shooting the HK's they feel great in the hand and function flawless on the other hand the 1911s are supurb weapons and lazer accurate. So how I see it if I was a doctor the 1911 is the scalpul and the hk the bone saw. Both are great but when it comes down to putting rounds on target in the worst possible enviorment I'm grabbing the Hk.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I ventured into 1911's once. My Gunsmith told me there was more to keep one running reliablely. I had USP's which alway's did great. Back then i shot most every week-end and would go thru 3-6 hundred rds. Then add in holiday's and vacation day's so i shot a fair amount. I just got tired of taking them to him to diagnose. Seemed to be alway's something come up mag.'s ammo sensitive etc. as Larry Vicker's say's in this link, some think LAV is knocking the 1911 i see opposite.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/offduty/technology/offduty-gear-scout-pimp-your-1911-060611w/

·
Registered
854 Posts
I love the HK's I own. I just picked up a Sig 1911 SS 2 weeks ago.I must say it shoots every bit as good as my 2K 1911. As much as I love my usp 45, HK 45 and P30 40s, the Sig 1911 has been flawless and deadly accurate.
report back to us how much you like that new Sig in another 2-3 months...I have a sneaking suspicion that the "new gun love" will have faded when the headaches start...

Get the HK...its a no-brainer

·
Registered
234 Posts
What's your budget? I dunno about other folks, but I don't consider 1grand to be "high end" 1911 territory. I was in the same position when I purchased my HK45, but to me, I was debating on whether I wanted a high end polymer (the HK45) or a middle end 1911. I decided on the HK45 since well...it's the top in its class IMO. An yea, I've shot 1911s including a Wilson Combat CQB Elite.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts