HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks,

Got a question for you California HK lovers:

I have built a Hk91 clone (sometime 2014) CA legal and all that I have been very happy with.
But I also have a MP5/HK94 flat that I started at the same time but didn't finish assembling completely.
Given the new Cali laws I wanted to finally wrap that project up but I wanted to make it a reverse stretch pistol.
I had serial numbers professionally laser engraved on the flats per BATF and was going to now register them both as assault weapons to comply with the law.

Now I know a rifle is no problem but regarding building pistols there seems no clear answer anywhere for my scenario.

My keypoints are:

- 80% personal build not for sale
- Made 2014
- To be registered as aw
- Reverse stretch with according barrel length, no second hand grip and no stock.
- Semi, clipped and pinned

Can that be done or do I have to make it into a HK94 style rifle with fixed stock and 16" barrel?

Also as a side note are we going to be able to ditch the stupid bullet button once it's an aw?

Any help would be much appreciated especially regarding this specific scenario.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Calguns is your best source for these answers, everyone has their opinion but better safe than sorry. To be honest the DOJ is not evern sure about the new laws as many contradict each other.
Franklin Armory has made a locking button for the magazine for your MP5 Clone

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
I feel your pain.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I moved from CA two years ago and don't follow the new laws closely, though I do go to CalGuns daily.
Are the pistols included in the new AW laws? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
To be honest guys, I bet there would be better responses from CALIFORNIA because CA law is its own madness. This forum, overall would not have CA specific insights that the OP needs. This is also not the forum for legal advice. And basically the OP is asking for CA specific legal advice. I sincerely wish you luck with your CA compliance problem.

Scott

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Seems kind of a trolling post to get people to suggest how to get around the laws.

That said while I offer no advice on the rest of your post, as to the "ditching the BB" question, the answer is NO. The law didn't reopen the old AW Registry and allow people to skip the BB and add back the evil features. Instead it created a NEW class of AW out of those formerly legal BB equipped rifles. Even after registering as an AW under the new law, you still have to abide by the idiotic laws requiring BB, no flash hider, etc.

Only out is to make the weapon "featureless" with a grip wrap or in the case of an AR installing something like the Thordsen FRS-15 stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies, I have been and still am sifting through Calguns threads and endless "yes you can"- "Nuh-uh you can't" regarding pistols. I was posting here in the hopes someone was in the same situation as I and had some pointers. But maybe really nobody including the law knows.

Now I'm not exactly sure how that is trolling in any way since I am trying to figure out how to follow the laws not circumvent them. Both my builds are currently perfectly legal and will be registered as aw with the Cal DOJ same as my AR and my Saiga. That is what the new law does since already owned guns will be grandfathered in but you have to register them and won't be able to sell them, etc.

Being able to ditch the BB was something I heard a FFL say but again the law does not say anything about it (nor about a new class of aw from what i have read). The ffl's thought was since the gun will become a registered aw which it wasn't before due to the BB it thus won't need it any longer.

I originally thought I might simply go to the DOJ directly except that I heard from numerous people they can't be relied upon either to provide answers.

Like I said if worse comes to worse I will finish it as a 9mm rifle, I just would have liked it as a pistol.

Anyway again thanks if I hear anything definite I will post it, in the meantime I'm going to the desert to lay some waste to some targets, it's too nice a day to be on the Internet...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So far this is the only solution to a HK Platform , but more will come out before Dec.31st. Just look at all the AR options that are sprouting up so you do not have to register your AR's

https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/dfm/products/franklin-armory-dfm-for-hk-platform
Unless I am missing something I believe that is what was needed under the old rules. Where you had to use a pointy object to release the mag. If so that is no longer legal in CA as of 1 Jan 2017. If it truly does lock the mag in place then I see no way to load the rifle with it in place, making it useless. Which is why, Pre-BB, HK type weapons had their receiver cut away over the mag to allow loading of a fixed magazine through the action.

As far as I know the only way to make an HK style rifle legal here now, that doesn't involve cutting metal, is to install a grip wrap.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks all for the replies, I have been and still am sifting through Calguns threads and endless "yes you can"- "Nuh-uh you can't" regarding pistols. I was posting here in the hopes someone was in the same situation as I and had some pointers. But maybe really nobody including the law knows.

Now I'm not exactly sure how that is trolling in any way since I am trying to figure out how to follow the laws not circumvent them. Both my builds are currently perfectly legal and will be registered as aw with the Cal DOJ same as my AR and my Saiga. That is what the new law does since already owned guns will be grandfathered in but you have to register them and won't be able to sell them, etc.

Being able to ditch the BB was something I heard a FFL say but again the law does not say anything about it (nor about a new class of aw from what i have read). The ffl's thought was since the gun will become a registered aw which it wasn't before due to the BB it thus won't need it any longer.

I originally thought I might simply go to the DOJ directly except that I heard from numerous people they can't be relied upon either to provide answers.

Like I said if worse comes to worse I will finish it as a 9mm rifle, I just would have liked it as a pistol.

Anyway again thanks if I hear anything definite I will post it, in the meantime I'm going to the desert to lay some waste to some targets, it's too nice a day to be on the Internet...

If you are truly wanting to understand the laws then take your butt to the forum where those laws are the SINGLE MOST important item of discussion and are constantly being vetted by actual CalGuns Foundation lawyers.

Trolling as in getting someone to tell you to just not comply as that is what they are going to do. Then reporting said idiot for admitting intent to commit a felony on a public forum to CA DOJ. This is a common practice of actual CA DOJ Agents over on CaGuns. Where they routinely troll the market place and board looking for people wiling to violate State/Fed laws.

That is not a case of tinfoil paranoia either as the leading pro-2A lawyer in CA will tell you that it has been proven CalGuns is being monitored and the IPs have been traced right back to the Agents work computers in Sacramento. The type of posts they use are just like what you posted here where a newbie(?) out of the blue asks what can be taken as a leading question.

If you are not an Agent then I apologize but if you can't get your question answered on a CA specific Board then you sure won't on one like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries, hold fire, I can assure you I'm no agent and if what you say is the case then I can also indeed understand your reaction, I didn't know that. Our tax dollars at work I suppose...
I'm a newbie to gun forums (not guns) and I posted here because I am fond of the HK platform and this forum seemed like a match.
But I now also registered and posted in Calguns as suggested and will see what they say.
Though the more I read it really seems nobody knows anything concrete, so I think I'll just wait until some written info is issued from the horse's... uhm... whathaveyou.
I got until the end of the year to register it, so hopefully before then all this will be clear.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
With the Franklin Armory magazine LOCK you have to take apart the gun to change the mag. Hence it becomes a fixed mag gun under the new laws. I know it sucks, but you asked. Watch the video.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
With the Franklin Armory magazine LOCK you have to take apart the gun to change the mag. Hence it becomes a fixed mag gun under the new laws. I know it sucks, but you asked. Watch the video.
Which means it is basically worthless. Those type locks were only viable the last go around because like I said the receiver over the mag was cut away to allow loading of the locked in place mag. Same was done for FALs, AKs, etc...

Much better to simply get a grip wrap. Now rifle is featureless and can ditch the BB entirely and doesn't need to be registered. And yes I know a wrap KILLS the ergonomics of the rifle but it still is better then "bang" x 10 and disassembling your rifle to reload or even worse...clear a jamb.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No worries, hold fire, I can assure you I'm no agent and if what you say is the case then I can also indeed understand your reaction, I didn't know that. Our tax dollars at work I suppose...
I'm a newbie to gun forums (not guns) and I posted here because I am fond of the HK platform and this forum seemed like a match.
But I now also registered and posted in Calguns as suggested and will see what they say.
Though the more I read it really seems nobody knows anything concrete, so I think I'll just wait until some written info is issued from the horse's... uhm... whathaveyou.
I got until the end of the year to register it, so hopefully before then all this will be clear.

I haven't been paying attention because we anticipate living in AZ by the end of this year but it is my understanding that the CA DOJ has indeed promulgated the regulations associated with the new law and put them out there. The law itself is intentionally vague because it was left to the bureaucrats in DOJ to actually flesh out the details, since had they put it all in the Bill it might not have passed.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
If you are truly wanting to understand the laws then take your butt to the forum where those laws are the SINGLE MOST important item of discussion and are constantly being vetted by actual CalGuns Foundation lawyers.

Trolling as in getting someone to tell you to just not comply as that is what they are going to do. Then reporting said idiot for admitting intent to commit a felony on a public forum to CA DOJ. This is a common practice of actual CA DOJ Agents over on CaGuns. Where they routinely troll the market place and board looking for people wiling to violate State/Fed laws.

That is not a case of tinfoil paranoia either as the leading pro-2A lawyer in CA will tell you that it has been proven CalGuns is being monitored and the IPs have been traced right back to the Agents work computers in Sacramento. The type of posts they use are just like what you posted here where a newbie(?) out of the blue asks what can be taken as a leading question.

If you are not an Agent then I apologize but if you can't get your question answered on a CA specific Board then you sure won't on one like this.

I answered his question on calguns... Why would he go as far to say he has had completed the receiver, but totally missed the boat? And is posting online about it? It smells fishy.....

·
Premium Member
470 Posts

Bolt action pistol like I suggested, or break action pistol.. That is all you can do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts