HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Word from a magazine article is that the HK45 started off as a 1911 concept, and progressed to what it is now. So, I doubt we'll ever see that.

1911s are mainly an American fixation now. I don't think HK would bother.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Like you don't have enough 1911s to chose from. I like my HKs for what they are, not because they are like some other guns.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I like HK's just the way they are. I like 1911's from Colt, Springfield, and Kimber. The Sig 1911's do nothing for me.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Both the SIG And the S&W were poor attempts at a 1911, both using off the shelf components and then throwing them together. And with poor results from what I have seen and S&W almost immediately issuing recalls. How the hell did they screw up a near 100 year old design and have to issue a recall?
IMHO too many 1911s out there already and HK does not need to join in the fray.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Both the SIG And the S&W were poor attempts at a 1911, both using off the shelf components and then throwing them together.
All the really good custom 1911's use off the shelf components that are thrown together. Sig's quality has gone way up with the 1911 now that they are making more of the components in house. Heck, they work better out of the box than a $2000 Wilson Combat.

The reason why it's so difficult to build a good 1911 is because the cost the build one is much higher than what the market demands. All the issues that have popped up have been due to using inferior materials and cost cutting measures in assembly. People also hold 1911's to higher standards, a $700 1911 has to feel like a $2000 custom 1911 and there's no way you can do that.

·
Banned
384 Posts
What happened to a world where it was OK for one company, one design to be its own product? Now every gal dammed industry scrambles and falls all over themselves to bring to market a product that contains all the features of whatever some other successful thing is.

Look at trucks. Back a few years, say 12-15, each maker had a truck easily distinguishable, easily 'brand identified'. Now, if one maker brings out a decal or trim level, or horsepower level, you can bet your rear that all the rest will have the same. And no it isnt like the old muscle days. How many GSX or AMC's do you see that have all the driving characteristics of a Corvette? What does it mean to truly IDENTIFY with something or some Brand? Think about John Deere...did their own thing, and did it well. Ask any thug in some inner city what John Deere makes, Ill bet he'll know "tractors". Ask someone what a Harley Davidson sounds like...I bet they come off with something like "Potata potata potata" Look how many manufacturers have spent how many million trying to mimic Harley, a brand which was sold to the wolves and said to never again be anything just maybe a few decades ago. My point being that HD did its thing, and kept doing it. It didnt start building rice rockets just to try that market....

Dont worry about being your own company with your own designs. Make sure you appease stock holders with facts and figures based off the last quarter last year. Where are we, where do the stockholders/lawyers want us to be... etc.

I liked it when a product was a product, and you could count on it being what it was. Now, if you dont like something, give it five minutes and it will change.

It seems as though everyone is too dang interested in 'cloning' a success. How about not giving a shAt about how good a 1911 is. See to it that your pistol is better, shoots better, and stays better. How about that? What the hell is wrong with not going with the flow?

I swear to the Lord, I try as hard as I can to NOT go with the flow. I applaud companies who market individual designs (HK!) and try to keep ahead of the curve.

In short, why would anyone spend R&D money on a design that for all intents and purposes was as good as needed 100 years ago?

If you want to jack off to the 1911, get a nice collection of Colt 1911's, and then you'll be able to support the original. Get a Wilson to celebrate the evolution of the breed. Maybe collect Browning (maybe a 1919, M2, you guys get the point) firearms, then you can make the argument that you support one of (if not THE!) brightest minds to ever set about designing firearms...

Personally I dont truly care about anything made by anyone who isnt the original manufacturer. ANd yes you can stretch that out until you prove I like something not made by the original (like toothpaste or something..)

Nothing makes me feel any more respect than someone showing me an Armalite marked AR, or an old original Colt 1911. How about a early Browning over/under? Does a cheap knockoff shotgun shoot well? Probably, but it has no SOUL.

Maybe Im wrong,

·
Registered
229 Posts
Scooter Nailed it...

All the really good custom 1911's use off the shelf components that are thrown together. Sig's quality has gone way up with the 1911 now that they are making more of the components in house. Heck, they work better out of the box than a $2000 Wilson Combat.

The reason why it's so difficult to build a good 1911 is because the cost the build one is much higher than what the market demands. All the issues that have popped up have been due to using inferior materials and cost cutting measures in assembly. People also hold 1911's to higher standards, a $700 1911 has to feel like a $2000 custom 1911 and there's no way you can do that.
+1

I think people tend to forget the 1911 was originally designed in a day when labor was relatively inexpensive. 1911s by design require more personal attention in their construction than modern designs like HKs, SiGs and Glocks.

With the advent of the Peters Stahl type of breech block and linkless barrel, pistols became much easier to manufacture than internal lugged barrels and slides which take extra care in the fitting in order to get maximum reliability.

Today, we expect the "custom gun" tight slide-frame-barrel fit, that Browning never really intended in the first place. On top of that, manufacturing techniques rely almost entirely on CNC production with little if any hand fitting. All those things add up to making this 100 year old design somewhat of a challenge to manufacture today.

IMO, HK could take the opportunity to do for the 1911 what they did for the AR. I (like most people I suspect) am eagerly looking forward to the new HK45. It should be a fine addition to my HK stable.

However, with the P7 on it's sunset, I think it's a good time for HK to come out with a new premium "flagship" pistol to take its place.

Basically, what I'd like to see is an all steel framed pistol made from the same grade of steel of the P7. Set it up to take standard 1911 magazines, keeping the 1911 grip geometry, safety and trigger. Then take a version of the HK45 upper assy. and mate it to the 1911ish lower. HK could utilize the standard Peters Stahl locking block and ramped barrel and use their own external extractor similar to that of the HK45. It could also use a similar buffer system. I'd imagine a commander sized pistol as a result.

As great as HK pistols are, the traditional DA keeps them from competing with the 1911. If HK could develop a steel framed SA pistol with 1911 ergos, I think it would be sure hit in the U.S.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you think about it the USP is a modern 1911 pistol. It embodies the good design features of the original Browning action and adds modern safety and accuracy features to give you the best of both worlds. I enjoy shooting my USPs every bit as much as my Colts if not more so. John Moses would have admired the HK design IMHO.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just like the market is saturated with AR's and also piston driven AR's. No point to copy what everyone else is doing. Oh wait, people are paying $4000 for a HK AR upper.

It all comes down to $$$. If there was an open contract to build 1911's with the US military, HK would be right there submitting a HK1911.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would have loved to see an HK 1911. If it was made 100% in house at the Oberndorf factory, it likely would have been the best 1911 in production, rivaling or even exceeding the quality of pre-Series 70 commercial Colts. The price, however, would have probably been comparable to what the P7M8 sells for these days.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Only 1911 I buy is Colt, all mine run 100% with any ammo I feed them - cant stand the clones. I love the STI 2011 tho, if they were not as expensive I would own more than the 2 I have - you get what you pay for with STI - they are superb pistols.

For 1911 I stay with Colt - any one get a H&K USP or P9S clone if some one made one? Not me - same with the 1911...mine will always be Colt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just like the market is saturated with AR's and also piston driven AR's. No point to copy what everyone else is doing. Oh wait, people are paying $4000 for a HK AR upper.

The market is, indeed, saturated with ARs. Few are worth buying and none are worth $4000.00. The 1911 market is the same way. I revere a good 1911; but there are enough out there already, almost none of which are as good as the old Colts. HK has not made their way in the market by copying others and they have no need to start now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Both the SIG And the S&W were poor attempts at a 1911, both using off the shelf components and then throwing them together. And with poor results from what I have seen and S&W almost immediately issuing recalls. How the hell did they screw up a near 100 year old design and have to issue a recall?
IMHO too many 1911s out there already and HK does not need to join in the fray.

I disagree. Have several of the Sig 1911 XO's. They run at 100%. One has over 6K rounds no issues at all.. Throws the ball where it needs to go.

Good friend has the SW, he has about 3000 - 4000 rounds, no issues.

I think like anythying it's the luck of the Draw.. My Elite did not have any finish issues, but I have seen pictures of other's issues..

·
Registered
15 Posts

IMO, the USP is a super-duper-deluxe reinvention of the 1911 anyway... what more could you ask for?

·
Registered
600 Posts
There is no end to innovation...

I am grateful, beyond measure, that Hk has seen fit to look forward in it's thinking and (dare) attempt a next generation .45 pistol. This clone after clone after clone circular reasoning is getting outta hand.

As a Sig owner, I find it really strange what NH SiGARMS is producing these days as part of this huge bandwagon:

Now I like pimp guns, but ONLY as a novelty and I would never shoot someone with it, just slap them instead with it.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts