HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a buffer for a HK 300, its an early gun(5000) Any clue where I would find one? Numrich lists them for 15,000+ guns but nothing for mine.

the old buffer just fell apart after I shot it, kinda like a bad P9s buffer. Thought I had it in upside down, but I had it right.....only works one way I guess

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and have my fingers crossed, looking for other ideas.

pretty sure if needed I can make one out of a A3 stock H buffer, same stuff...right size to cut down

OK, stupid question...did you ask HK customer service if they had one?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
There was somebody a while back on these boards who advertised some custom made H buffers. I can't remember too much about them, but if they make the stuff, perhaps they could save you the trouble of carving one up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My buffer went out on my 300 about 15 years ago after extensive use. It took almost a year for me to get the original factory part. It had to be shipped from Germany. As a stop gap measure, my gunsmith fabricated a "M" shaped piece from a similiar type of hard plastic. It worked great.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
my guess is thats what I will end up doing. Do you remember how the smith held the buffer in? I know the OEM buffers have some dimples that press into the cap, figured I would use some sort of adhesive to hold it in.

no decent smiths around here(dying breed).....I will have to make it myself, might stop by a local plastic shop and see what they have or just dig around my shop....I am sure I have something.....maybe even a Land Cruiser part ;) maybe even poly spring or shock bushing matterial would work well

was also tempted to see if the latter 300 buffer(Numrich has those) can be cut down, my guess is its bigger than the early buffers

My buffer went out on my 300 about 15 years ago after extensive use. It took almost a year for me to get the original factory part. It had to be shipped from Germany. As a stop gap measure, my gunsmith fabricated a "M" shaped piece from a similiar type of hard plastic. It worked great.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after trying some plastic shops......they had no clue.....so I grabed and Mp5 A3 H buffer in town and came home and cut it down, needed it to be a bit thicker so used 2 thin nylon washers on the backside, its all now sitting in the vice being glued. In my lab test(ie the garage) it looks like it will work, will find out friday if I can get to the range.

Still on the hunt for the correct part, have not heard from HK yet

·
Registered
135 Posts
John, I actually called my gunsmith today and he remembered making the part. He told me to bring it in to him and he would look it over to determine the material he used. I will do that on Tuesday. If your part does work, post back on this thread. If it does not do the job, I will have some further information for you soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would be great, will let you know.......hoping my work around works but worried about the glue not holding up to the recoil and poping out.

John, I actually called my gunsmith today and he remembered making the part. He told me to bring it in to him and he would look it over to determine the material he used. I will do that on Tuesday. If your part does work, post back on this thread. If it does not do the job, I will have some further information for you soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well my modified H buffer worked great, the glue(holding buffer to cap) held up just fine, ran 100-150rds thru it.....and I gotta say the 300 is a tack driver, even with just the 4X scope(and cheap Dynapoint ammo), cant beleive I held out getting a 300. At 100 yards I was getting 1" groups, at 25 yards........same hole :) Never new what a light wieght gun the 300 was, never had held one before.

But the best part....while i was shooting the 300, Jeff from HK called to let me know that they will have buffer for the early and late 300 in a few months, they are waiting on them from Germany :) so I will pick up 2 when they show up.

thanks guys for the help, offers and support :)

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use Winchester 40 grain JHP ammo in my 300 and the accuracy is outstanding. That is actually the ammo the factory recommends. Some other brands of .22 magnum will fail to cycle the action. Glad to hear your 300 is up and running, enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update, HK emailed me yestersday, 1 buffer showed up(or they found one in stock), waiting on more(I wanted a spare) $27.

also FYI, HK has a great price on P9s buffers, $5 each! got the last 2 they had this shipment, more coming.

also asked for 2 SL6 buffers(mine has a slight crack) and they are also on the way. This would be another one that not hard to make, hey I kinda enjoyed making the 300 buffer.

also Jeff sent me a PDF manual for the 300

very happy with HK CS, I know that HK USA can only get what HK Germany sends them, but still nice to see parts for the old(and not alot of sold) HK's still available.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Landpimp, I'm following up on this idea of the MP5 H-buffer being used, as I now have obtained a couple. Didn't you need to drill a hole into it side to side for the buffer retention pin to go through, as the buffer sits in a metal ring and the pin goes through that ring (with schematics calling the whole piece--ring and buffer--the "recoil buffer"), while the end cap snaps onto the pin and the buffer never goes back into the cap. Right?
JBubba57
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I use Winchester 40 grain JHP ammo in my 300 and the accuracy is outstanding. That is actually the ammo the factory recommends. Some other brands of .22 magnum will fail to cycle the action. Glad to hear your 300 is up and running, enjoy it.
For me, 45 grain Winchester Dynapoint fires and cycles the bolt but fails to extract (except with manual working of the bolt) for some reason, whereas 40 grain and 33 grain (all I've tried so far) do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I glued the H buffer with some good stuff....forget what, but its held up

man I just forget without digging it out of the back of the safe, but the buffer is just attached to the metal ring if I recall.....on mine with glue, there was no way to attach with as the buffer(orignal) has little tits to hold it in

it took just the right amount of trimming down the h buffer so the bolt would lock back

Landpimp, I'm following up on this idea of the MP5 H-buffer being used, as I now have obtained a couple. Didn't you need to drill a hole into it side to side for the buffer retention pin to go through, as the buffer sits in a metal ring and the pin goes through that ring (with schematics calling the whole piece--ring and buffer--the "recoil buffer"), while the end cap snaps onto the pin and the buffer never goes back into the cap. Right?
JBubba57
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had been looking everywhere for over a year for a buffer for my HK300. HK in Germany was no help. I decided to put it up rather than risk damaging it with a buffer that had turned to puddy. I finally found a guy who makes them himself selling on e bay. I bought 2 because I didn't know when or if I would ever find them again. They're really well made. I've tried it and it works fine. Now, I'm looking for an O5 ring for the claw mount. I stripped one of mine out, and to add insult to injury, I lost it.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Do you need the half part of the ring or the entire two piece 1" ring?

I had been looking everywhere for over a year for a buffer for my HK300. HK in Germany was no help. I decided to put it up rather than risk damaging it with a buffer that had turned to puddy. I finally found a guy who makes them himself selling on e bay. I bought 2 because I didn't know when or if I would ever find them again. They're really well made. I've tried it and it works fine. Now, I'm looking for an O5 ring for the claw mount. I stripped one of mine out, and to add insult to injury, I lost it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts