HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered the HK 36 experimental rifle under HKPro's World of HK section: rare prototypes. I would like too know more about the rifle, especially the hinged magazine some them had. Are there any books or other sources of information on them besides HKPro and wikipedia? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I had posted on this some years ago here.

I have an HK GmbH tech brochure on the HK36 I will email to StraightGrain to post here. Gives some good background info and images.

The HK36 was developed by HK in the late 1960's to compete with the M16. The HK33 was heavy and did not have the features M16 buyers were after.
Wolfgang Katzmeier was the developer of the 4.6x36mm round for the weapon system. He was a university trained gun designer and worked for many years in the HK Firing Lab, a key component of HK's product success (these are the guys that test and try and break prototypes and provide that important info to the designers and prototype makers for improvements), and also developed many other new cartridges like the MP7 4.6x30, 8mm Katz, and 9x90 MEN sniper rifle round to name but a few. His last project before he passed from leukemia was HK's version of the .300 BO for the GSG9 boys. “Wolfy” was the true 800 pound brain type – could answer any design or ammo question you could come up with. A real asset. He borrowed the "spoon nose" projo design to increase upset in test gel/soap and flesh to improve the performance of the relatively small caliber. The lead core projo weighed 42 grains and left the muzzle at 2800 fps. An HK36 rifleman could carry 480 rounds versus 240 in 5.56mm NATO. The round and weapon died with the realization that folks were unlikely to buy a non-NATO caliber and certainly not one with a non-Hague compliant tip. 100K rounds of this cartridge were loaded for HK by Santa Barbara out of Spain and when I started at HK in 1986 much of it was still in the ammo bunker in Oberndorf. There was an entire family of ammo for it and the rifle set the stage for many other HK designs that would follow it which included the integrated optic and ambi controls seen on the first and later G36 rifles. Of course the MP7 round borrowed heavily from the HK36 round in both caliber and projo types. There were two options on the HK36 magazine, a standard detachable box mag and a unique though unwieldy 90-round rechargeable "cartridge box" that was refilled/topped off with stripper clips. Interesting concept (from the mind of a gun designer behind a desk) but not realistic or survivable in a rough combat environment. There are still prototypes of HK36's in the Pattern Room at HK GmbH. Super light and handy, it weighed in empty with the optical sight and feed unit at 6.3 lbs. Very low felt recoil added in accuracy in burst fire. The acronym of course came about thru the then HK protocol for that; 3 = Military Rifle, 6 = 4.6x36mm. The German military G36 acronym just happens to be one of coincidence though not doubt the HK36 influenced the LCR/HK50/G36 design. Another very interesting and innovative firearm from HK that never saw the light of day. HK's history is full of such things.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Awesome stuff right there! Thanks for the info Jim

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts

I have an HK GmbH tech brochure on the HK36 I will email to StraightGrain to post here. Gives some good background info and images.

The HK36 was developed by HK in the late 1960's to compete with the M16. The HK33 was heavy and did not have the features M16 buyers were after.
Wolfgang Katzmeier was the developer of the 4.6x36mm round for the weapon system. He was a university trained gun designer and worked for many years in the HK Firing Lab, a key component of HK's product success (these are the guys that test and try and break prototypes and provide that important info to the designers and prototype makers for improvements), and also developed many other new cartridges like the MP7 4.6x30, 8mm Katz, and 9x90 MEN sniper rifle round to name but a few. His last project before he passed from leukemia was HK's version of the .300 BO for the GSG9 boys. “Wolfy” was the true 800 pound brain type – could answer any design or ammo question you could come up with. A real asset. He borrowed the "spoon nose" projo design to increase upset in test gel/soap and flesh to improve the performance of the relatively small caliber. The lead core projo weighed 42 grains and left the muzzle at 2800 fps. An HK36 rifleman could carry 480 rounds versus 240 in 5.56mm NATO. The round and weapon died with the realization that folks were unlikely to buy a non-NATO caliber and certainly not one with a non-Hague compliant tip. 100K rounds of this cartridge were loaded for HK by Santa Barbara out of Spain and when I started at HK in 1986 much of it was still in the ammo bunker in Oberndorf. There was an entire family of ammo for it and the rifle set the stage for many other HK designs that would follow it which included the integrated optic and ambi controls seen on the first and later G36 rifles. Of course the MP7 round borrowed heavily from the HK36 round in both caliber and projo types. There were two options on the HK36 magazine, a standard detachable box mag and a unique though unwieldy 90-round rechargeable "cartridge box" that was refilled/topped off with stripper clips. Interesting concept (from the mind of a gun designer behind a desk) but not realistic or survivable in a rough combat environment. There are still prototypes of HK36's in the Pattern Room at HK GmbH. Super light and handy, it weighed in empty with the optical sight and feed unit at 6.3 lbs. Very low felt recoil added in accuracy in burst fire. The acronym of course came about thru the then HK protocol for that; 3 = Military Rifle, 6 = 4.6x36mm. The German military G36 acronym just happens to be one of coincidence though not doubt the HK36 influenced the LCR/HK50/G36 design. Another very interesting and innovative firearm from HK that never saw the light of day. HK's history is full of such things.

G3Kurz
Please, before you're hit by a freak run a way bus or something write a book. I'll buy the first 100 copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapastalk.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

G3Kurz

great read jim...thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Please, before you're hit by a freak run a way bus or something write a book. I'll buy the first 100 copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapastalk.
Send me the up front payment of $400M in Euro's and I will consider it.
Oh wait, that was our tax dollars to Iran for hostage release.
G3Kurz

·
Registered
640 Posts
Wow! Great info, thanks

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Let's see if this worked...
Very interesting, I had never heard of this firearm!!

Straight rain, you are much more educated in HK, and all firearms I am certain. Is there Typos in the Muzzle Energy columns because those numbers just don't make any sense to me even in the 7.62 and 5.56 columns? What are the correct numbers for all 4 of those columns?

If anyone else can elaborate I appreciate it! Very curious in the correct ME of the 4.6 round.

Thanks in Advance!!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,559 Posts
It's not my document. I posted it as received from G3...

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Very interesting, I had never heard of this firearm!!

Straight rain, you are much more educated in HK, and all firearms I am certain. Is there Typos in the Muzzle Energy columns because those numbers just don't make any sense to me even in the 7.62 and 5.56 columns? What are the correct numbers for all 4 of those columns?

If anyone else can elaborate I appreciate it! Very curious in the correct ME of the 4.6 round.

Thanks in Advance!!
JNAP94
I can't explain those numbers either. They have often baffled me as well. Someone smarter than me may know the answer.
I do know this is the only detailed HK information on the HK36 and 4.6x36mm round I have ever seen.
G3Kurz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts