HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It says on FN's website as well as their brochures that the service life for the SCAR is 90,000 rounds with a 35,000+ round service life on the barrel. I have no doubt that the 416/417 barrels could last well over 35,000 rounds, but what about the other parts in the weapon? HK states that the minimum service life on ALL parts in the 416 is 15,000 rounds. Though I've read about testing where they've fired over 30,000 rounds, twice the service life of the weapon. Then there's the NASA owned MP5 that shot over 571,000 rounds before being decommisioned. Anyone know the details surrounding that? What parts were replaced (if any)? Basically, what I'm trying to get here are some opinions as to whether or not you guys think the 416/417 could fire more than 90,000 rounds without any parts failures and with no parts being in need of replacement. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tspeis

·
Registered
73 Posts
It says on FN's website as well as their brochures that the service life for the SCAR is 90,000 rounds with a 35,000+ round service life on the barrel. I have no doubt that the 416/417 barrels could last well over 35,000 rounds, but what about the other parts in the weapon? HK states that the minimum service life on ALL parts in the 416 is 15,000 rounds. Though I've read about testing where they've fired over 30,000 rounds, twice the service life of the weapon. Then there's the NASA owned MP5 that shot over 571,000 rounds before being decommisioned. Anyone know the details surrounding that? What parts were replaced (if any)? Basically, what I'm trying to get here are some opinions as to whether or not you guys think the 416/417 could fire more than 90,000 rounds without any parts failures and with no parts being in need of replacement. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tspeis

Honestly, I don’t think anyone can answer this really. We are talking theoretical upper limits that few outside of the military will ever come close to seeing.

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really looking for hard facts, just opinions of others on this board who may have more time behind the 416 than I do. I own an upper, but my experience with it so far has been VERY limited. Thank you for the quick response though.

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone by any chance know what year that MP5 was put into service and what year it was taken out of service?

Thanks,

Tspeis

·
Registered
26 Posts
The story is in The MP5 Submachine Gun by Frank w. James. The MP5 SN 316019 went in service August of 1984 and come out October of 1992.

Parts that were replaced because of wear.

five roller holders
five firing pins springs
four extractors
four extractor springs
three firing pins
two set of oversized locking rollers
one roller holder pin
one recoil spring assembly
one mag release spring

Paul

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow, thank you very much for that info. It's very interesting to think that if those parts that were replaced lasted about the same amount of time each time before being replaced, they would have gone an average of about 114,000 rounds before being changed out. Just out of curiousity, when you listed 3 firing pins being replaced, did you mean 3 firing pin springs? I noticed that you had already listed 5 firing pins being replaced before that. Thanks again.

Tspeis

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't think the SCAR Heavy or HK417 could go 90,000 rounds without having a part failure. Service life of the weapon, includes general maintainance, which will include replacing parts before they break. I don't doubt the HK416 fired 30,000 rounds without having a part fail. However, I doubt HK would suggest doing that, for liability reasons.

As far as barrel life, what is the accuracy requirement at the given round increments? I'm sure there are standard AR barrels that have shot over 100,000 rounds. They may not be able to hit a Hummer at 25 yards and may have the muzzle velocity of a .45 but I'm sure someone has done it. If they maintain a slow enough fire cadance, and don't bulge the barrel, I'm sure it could be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts