HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to get all HK 416 mags for my ARs. Recently however, I've been tempted by the new MagPul mags with anti-tilt followers. The MagPul mags are made of plastic, have the anti-tilt follower and are ready to accept the "Ranger" floor plates with loops. From what I've heard, the MagPul magazines are tough as nails and very reliable. They also come with dust covers that protect the feed lips. At $40 for 3 of them, they're very tempting.
The lowest I've seen the HKs go for is $40 a piece. What do you all think? Should I give Magpul a try or should I stick with the HK 416 mags? I've tried pushing down on the front of the MagPul mags, and they don't bend or tilt like standard GI mags. I've also seen the YouTube test for the Magpul mags. I'm sure that test was probably rigged, but it still says something about the durability of the magazine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I did some more research on AR15.com. The PMags have had some issues. Although Magpul's a great company who will issue replacement bodies and correct problems, the design has had a history of various issues. Nuff said.....I'm sticking to the HK 416 mags.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Magpul made the "issues" with the Pmags right, though. Most people likely would never have know but Magpul did the right thing and had a recall after a couple of isolated incidents. I could write volumes on the broken HK mags I've seen. Which would be fine if they were $8 like a USGI mag, but at a minimum of 5X that, they had better be perfect.

My organization has discontinued use of the HK mags due to exceedingly weak feed lips, the fact that they damage themselves due to the weight if they are dropped, and weak springs that fail to lock the bolt back after short term usage.

I still have 20 or so of about 50 HK mags that will continue to use at the range, but as they die out I replace mine with USGI bodies with Magpul followers and Ranger plates.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
BTW, the YouTube test/demo was real. I've seen the headquarters and what they do for product testing. Very nice people as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stick with HK mags.

A family memeber of mine has 20+ PMAGs. They are on their second recall of their mags. Magpul has recalls on bad mags from every month production of their PMAGs (04/07, 05/07, 06/07, 07/07).

I've always liked Magpul products. The whole PMAG debacle has been quite a disappointment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
BTW, the YouTube test/demo was real. I've seen the headquarters and what they do for product testing. Very nice people as well.
HK mags won't work after you run them over with a truck....but they DO work if you DON'T run them over with a truck. You can't say that for the PMAGs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just don't get why you'd pay $40 to $50 for a mag that is inferior to a $10 GI aluminum mag.

My team alone has over 1000 HK mags, as does every other team in my organization. I think this is enough to be a reasonable test bed considering everyone else I know that seriously uses them has had the same (bad) experience. When they work they work phenomenally, but they don't last long at all.

We have been testing the PMAG with very favorable results, especially when factoring in cost and weight savings. The six I have for T&E are 05/07 and have outlasted any of the HK mags I've put through the same abuse. They are very new to the market, though, and the jury is still out. I am a little hesitant to call anything the best AR mag now, because I used to think the HK mags were the best thing going and was proven wrong.

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 for MagPul PMags.

I have one HK mag just so I can say I have one.

MagPul did have a couple of problems with the first batch, but this has now been resolved.

Also, if you happen to have some of the older PMags, they will exchange them FREE OF CHARGE.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80_120

Don't you wish HK had customer service like that!

Also check out their Masada rifle.

Celt

·
Registered
54 Posts
HK M4 mags

I've run the standard issues for over 18 years now and have only run into a few problems:
- feed lips deformed after abuse i.e. throwing to buddy loaded, landing on during movement, etc
- bottom retention lips cracking from dropping free during reloads and abuse while inserted in well ( using mag as mono-pod )
- weakening springs from prolonged load out
- tilted follower only from shock or debris
- malfuntion due to the absorbtion of incoming fire
Note that ABUSE has been the major issue and that is just the way it is. There are some products out there that have been produced to address these issues and I've been trying them when budget allows. I've found that the MagPul followers are worth it but just know you will probably loose the mag in the real world. Upgraded springs are worth it ( especially on auto ). I like the MagPul Lumpy for the bottoms but I don't like the price when I think about loosing them. The noted upgrades are woth the bucks for your range mags and home defensers. The weight of HK's mags and the rust concern kills them for me. When it comes to "out of pocket" the cost surely destroys it the thought of aquisition. M4guru, I'm with you brother- Having 3 times more APE ( ammo/personel/equipment) than the bad guy is sweet but paying 3 times more per mag is not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually there has only been one recall of production Pmags. The first recall was pre-production magazines to upgrade them to production levels. That is why Pmags were out of stock for so long.

Anyways the second recall was an isolated issue, mine didn't have the issue, but I still filled out my form to get the replacement bodies.

Anyways I have heard of Hk magazines breaking and wearing out just as much as I have heard USGI magazines, I figure that even if Pmags wear out, I'm not out $40-55, instead $13-14.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just don't get why you'd pay $40 to $50 for a mag that is inferior to a $10 GI aluminum mag.

My team alone has over 1000 HK mags, as does every other team in my organization. I think this is enough to be a reasonable test bed considering everyone else I know that seriously uses them has had the same (bad) experience. When they work they work phenomenally, but they don't last long at all.

We have been testing the PMAG with very favorable results, especially when factoring in cost and weight savings. The six I have for T&E are 05/07 and have outlasted any of the HK mags I've put through the same abuse. They are very new to the market, though, and the jury is still out. I am a little hesitant to call anything the best AR mag now, because I used to think the HK mags were the best thing going and was proven wrong.
Guru,

I have seen the HK mags shot very reliably in the M249, have you tested the P-Mag in a M249?
I have been running aluminum GI mags with Colt enhanced spring and magpul followers for a few years now, it has been nothing but reliable. but I do keep several HK mags on hand but the mags really does not add any more performace for a civvy shooter like me other then added length for the ability to load 30 rds.

TIA

·
Registered
32 Posts
From Larry Vickers on M4Carbine.net:

"I have alot of experience with HK M16 mags and can no longer recommend them due to some issues the current version has - particularly at the price they sell at

I have been using some PMAGS with good results - my recommendation is buy a few (for the price of one HK mag) and try them

Good luck

Larry Vickers"

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7634

·
Registered
484 Posts
Despite myths on the net, PMags were only recalled twice as mentioned, once for an upgrade from the pre-pro model and another just because they werent cooled correctly.

I have Pmags, Gen 1s at that and have not had ANY issue.

I just ordered a bunch more as well, its PMags from now on for me

·
Registered
60 Posts
PMAG.

There are lots of people out there who you'd be a fool to ignore that have bad real world experience with HK mags. I suggest clicking the link to M4Carbine posted above. That topic has a high number of very reputable people giving out good advice on just this topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have several HK high reliability magazines and had the feed lip bend once preventing feeding. I'm not even sure how it happened but was very disconcerting. I have not purchased the PMAG since I plan to get the HK 416 and also already have a FN F2000 which both cannot use the PMAG.
If this was not the case I would likely by several PMAG's

·
Registered
421 Posts
I love the PMAGS! never had an issue with them and I use them in my HK416. I do have HK416 mags also that I love. I put over 1000 rds thru my 416 using PMAGS with a problem. HKTESTER I'm sorry to tell you this but PMAGS works just as good as HK mags in the 416,if you dont believe me ask Larry Vickers...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I love the PMAGS! never had an issue with them and I use them in my HK416. I do have HK416 mags also that I love. I put over 1000 rds thru my 416 using PMAGS with a problem. HKTESTER I'm sorry to tell you this but PMAGS works just as good as HK mags in the 416,if you dont believe me ask Larry Vickers...
The issue people have reported with the Pmags and the 416 has to due with the straight across cut of the bottom of the German 416 mag well. Are you using a German HK lower and unmodified Pmags?

Anyone here have any issues with the German 416 magazine after the 1000rd mark?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts