HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my HK apart today for cleaning and noticed something very strange.

My bolt does NOT have the "safety lever" that catches the firing pin (for that matter, it doesn't have the fancy firing pin either). There is no 'slot' in the would-be gas key so accommodate a safety lever at all, so its not a missing part.

Also, there is no firing pin spring! And I'm (reasonably) certain I didn't lose it.

This is very different from the other 416's i've seen. I've also fired a little over 1000 rounds with no problems...

Any ideas / explanations?

Thanks
Charles

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
Strange. I know the earlier models did not have the safety lever. What's the date code on the upper? Could you post a few pictures of the bolt carrier?

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Very interesting. I've not seen any of the early models, but the three 416's we've got all have HK-specific firing pins with larger "mushroom" heads and firing pin springs--both of which are secured into the bolt carrier by the cotter pin and the safety lever. Post up some pics and lets take a look-see.

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
When I say "earlier" models, I'm referring to the ones 1st SFOD had fielded way back when 416 had first gone into production. They started seeing slam fires, so HK added the safety lever. Though, I didn't think any of those uppers would ever make it into the hands of an individual owner.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like they pawned those things off.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I went to do some reading in the Larry Vickers article regarding the development of the 416 and found this short bit:

. . . "Also some users were seeing slam fires when using non mil spec 5.56 mm/.223 ammo such as certain types of frangible. This is due to the higher closing energy of the bolt carrier due in part to the lack of gas rings and the heavier buffer and stronger spring. To address this, HKO designed a firing pin safety similar to the one used in the HK UMP 45 ACP SMG. This type safety is also being used in the HK417." . . .

I think this "firing pin safety" is the lever that is apparently missing in clancelotta's bolt carrier. It's not "missing" in that it was there and is now gone (sorry, dtheman), but rather that it was never there, as there is not even a slot for it, according to clancelotta's own statement. Once again, I think pictures and date codes for the weapon would prove interesting.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
When I say "earlier" models, I'm referring to the ones 1st SFOD had fielded way back when 416 had first gone into production. They started seeing slam fires, so HK added the safety lever. Though, I didn't think any of those uppers would ever make it into the hands of an individual owner.
agreed. we read the history the same way. ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Was referring to the older model guns being pawned off diesel, not the parts...

·
Registered
142 Posts
nothing wrong with the bolt without firing pin "safety lever", these were the first generation bolts that came out with the 416, the newer style bolts w/safety lever bolts are the "2nd generation bolts"...this info. is from the good folks at centermass firearms in las vegas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts