HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the LEM Kit installed on my new unfired HK-45 by an HK Armorer, then sent it to Robar for NP3+ then went to the range to Qual and had nothing but light primer strikes failure to detonate ! Took gun back to Armorer and he said the Mainspring was no good and too light. He installed a 10lb said the stock spring when the gun did not have the LEM was a 15lb. He walked into the range and bang bang bang everytime said i should be good to go. Hitting the range to try and Qual again. He said he has installed over 200 LEM Kits on HK Pistols and never ran into this problem before.

I dont know if Robar installed the wrong springs after the NP3+ or if i just got a bad spring from the LEM kit i ordered.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Shooting it before the NP3 would have been the indicator in this situation. Since you have the pistol running well now I would just leave it, and move forward.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The standard LEM (heavy LEM) mainspring is heavier than the standard V1-series mainspring. Light LEM uses the V1 spring. Either should give positive ignition.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I am still trying to figure out what the heck this means: "He installed a 10lb said the stock spring when the gun did not have the LEM was a 15lb." The kit comes with a new hammer spring. If you retain the standard spring in the pistol it will still fire OK, at least all of mine have. The 10 pound spring so far as I know is only made by Wolff and is most certainly not the one included with the LEM kit. I have played around with those 10 round springs and found they only reduce the trigger pull in my pistols by 1/2 pound, not enough to feel, and resulted in very weak hammer falls. If he had left the stock spring, the one he said is 15 pounds if I am understanding it correctly, then nothing would have been wrong with your pistol, or if he had used the one that is supplied with the kit which is heavier, nothing would have been wrong. It was his mistake going to a spring so much weaker for God only knows what reason. Is he saying the hammer spring was not included in the kit? Then I must ask, who lost it? And where did the ten pound spring come from? It was not in the kit I'd bet'cha. And these 200 pistols he has converted to LEM, please don't tell me he has been throwing in 10 pound springs in all of them in which case he is really mucking with the LEM kit design.
This HK certified armorer, is he your departmental armorer? Because if he is not associated with a HK certified departmental armorer then he is not really certified by HK. The only civilian certified HK armorer is HK-USA themselves. There are a LOT of people out there who take that AGI HK armorers course and then call themselves HK certified but you will never hear HK call them that or approve of their working on your pistol. And if they muck up your pistol you can bet your last dollar that HK is not going to warranty their work. Point is, be careful of people calling themselves HK certified. They may even have a paper hanging on the wall but if you read the fine print it will be from AGI or some other questionable gunsmithing diploma mill. Lord knows I can tell you stories about some of these so called 'certified' AGI graduates but won't go there just yet.
Either way, real HK department armorer or fake AGI armorer he is the one who messed up by putting in the wrong spring. I seriously doubt HK put in the 10 pound spring in the kit since they do not use a 10 pound spring on any of their pistols so far as I know, not even in the match triggered pistols which use the lightest hammer spring in the HK lineup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BigBore i found out he did use a Wolf 10lb to "correct the light primer strikes" I am calling HK to get a Stock Spring which spring should i ask for if i have the LEM installed? I dont care about the pull i want positive Ignition everytime?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just a thought but what are the chances that the "armorer" used the HK45c hammer spring from the "universal" LEM kit? Possible?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
oh and can someone link me the video on replacing the hammer main spring i will do it myself this time
There is no video that will show you how to replace the HS. There is, however, a video for HK45c LEM installation, so search for "Carrera LEM" and you'll find it. Replacing the HS is so easy a 10-yr old can do it.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
He left out the slide plate + slide plate compression spring.
The longest spring should be the V2 LEM hammer spring for the full-size HK45.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So now i am confused this is what i ordered below and what parts did he not put in and what should i have corrected ?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I think I confused you. The bag of parts that he gave back to you should have the slide plate + compression spring.

The kit above looks like the Light LEM kit for HK45 (5.5 lbs), so the hammer spring should be the same spring as the DA/SA (V1). This kit spring plus the original in your DA/SA should be 2. Then he put in the 10-lb spring. That's 3. He gave you back 3 springs, plus 1 in your HK45. That's 4. Where the hell did the other spring come from?

I would say order the original DA/SA hammer spring (215694) and put it in yourself. But why should you be doing that when you said everything is golden now? Hmm.

Btw, the DA/SA hammer spring is the Match spring and it is the lightest HS you can get from HK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I said Golden because it actually shoots now but i have read bad reviews on the 10lb wolf springs and was nervous as this is a duty gun.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
He left out the slide plate + slide plate compression spring.
The longest spring should be the V2 LEM hammer spring for the full-size HK45.
Maybe they're still in the gun????? They're not in that bag of parts. I know that on my very first conversion I left them in. Figured it out right away but it is possible to do. I'm curious who this armorer is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why did you get back two trigger return springs (the small ones with legs)? If you only had the stock gun and the kit you pictured, your gun would be missing it currently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I have a question about hammer springs and am hoping someone here might be able to help. I recently picked up and HK45 and the previous owner had a compete trigger job done by Bill Springfield. I have found that I am getting pretty light primer strikes which seems to be ok with certain primers but I am having all kinds of problems with cci primers which must be a bit harder than other brands. From looking at the Springfield site, it appears that a match hammer spring was installed. Is there a heavier spring that I can install to solve the light primer strike problem? I see 2 different ones on HKPARTS. One is the hammer spring for LEM and the other says match hammer spring which I am assuming is the one that I currently have installed.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts