HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to take advantage of a mild, sunny day here in IL and I put about 200 rounds of Win 230gr FMJ through my newly acquired HK 45 Variant 9 (no decocker).

Here she is after the session:

My Initial Impression (before shooting):
I purchased this pistol already having a great deal of respect for the USP pistol. The USP; however, just was not a good fit for me. I liked the idea that the variant 9 could be carried "cocked and locked" like with the 1911 platform. In the past, I was met with disappointment when I tried to find a more duty-worthy alternative to my 1911's in the SAO Sig 220 Match and X-Five. I was somewhat skeptical until I actually handled the HK 45.

Given its size, it felt great in my hands with either backstrap. I ultimately selected the medium. I was very please with the relatively slim grip profile. It is very had to believe that the magazine isn't an true, ultra-thin single stack. I'm not yet fully comfortable with the mag release lever. I either have release the mag with my index finger (which I will not do on principle alone) or rotate the gun in my hand to allow my thumb to hit the release. I was not thrilled with the glow-in-the dark sights, but I will say that I like the idea for less discriminate shooters who don't want to commit to perishable tritium night sights. And to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the trigger pull in single action as it felt a little gritty and had some overtravel. Also, I was finding that my trigger finger was rubbing the mag release lever as well.

RANGE SESSION:

Since I don't have a proper holster at this point, I was forced to use an old universal drop-leg. Thus, all drills were conducted from the low-hunt/ready position. I started off with a walk-back drill beginning at the 4 yard line. I fired a controlled pair at an 8"x 13" center mass paper. After each pair, I took a big step backward. I repeated this process until I ran dry and conducted a speed load for admin purposes and re-holstered. The first mag was shot at distances of 4y progressing to about 12y. Here are the first 10 rounds:

Here are the next 10 rounds ranging from 13 yards to 22 yards approximately:

The third mag from 24 yards to about 32 yards:

I then went back to about 45 yards and fired 5 rounds (standing) on a clean sheet (no time restraint):

After reloading my mags, I went back to about 9 yards and did several failure drills (2 to cm, 1 to head). I used an empty ammo box to represent the head (as this is a half-assed range session). I believe there were 7 or 8 string of fire total. I tried to work quickly and get all rounds off in under 2 seconds.

For my last string of fire for the day, I used a 12" diameter steel gong. I fired 10 rounds each at 60y, 75y and 100y. I also fired 5 rounds at 120y. I was not operating under any constraints and was only trying to make hits. I went 8/10 at 60y. 7/10 at 75 yards. 4/10 at 100y. I was 1 for 5 at 120y. I normally do this drill with a steel ipsc silhouette, but as I stated earlier, this was just to get a taste for the pistol.

MY FINAL IMPRESSIONS:

I am very pleased with what the pistol can do. I mostly operated in SA mode and worked the safety like with a 1911; so much so that I caught myself taking the gun off safe to chamber a round and then re-applying the safety (as with a 1911). The safety manipulation is an easy transition for anyone used to running a 1911 thumb safety. I had no issues with the trigger once I actually got out and ran the gun. If I had to rank trigger pulls from 1 to 10 with a 10 being a tuned 1911, the HK 45 comes in at about a 7 out of 10. I would put the DA trigger pull at about a 3 with a stock Glock trigger being about a 3.5 or 4.

I will most definitely be replacing the sights with some Heinie Straight-8's. The sharper lines on the sight edges will definitely add to the effectiveness of this weapon.

I also didn't mind only having 10+1 round capacity. If I were to carry this gun on duty, I would probably opt for 3 extra mags rather than 2. In the end, that yields me 4 more rounds than a USP w/ 2 extra mags, so I guess I come out on top.

All of my reloads were conducted at full speed. It will take some time to master mag release. I was very pleased with the slide stop/release when I used it during the reload (instead of the slide grab method).

Coming from a hardcore 1911 guy, the HK45 is a breath of fresh air. After having to worry about every pin and spring, its nice to have a weapon that has shootability near that of a 1911 with a maintenance and price level closer to that of a Glock. The HK 45 has my endorsement.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nice write up! I am glad you liked the HK45 as you return to the brand. There is so much more it offers in ergonomics IMO, and the shooting reflects that. The pistol absolutely runs, and the accuracy is amazing. Love how the gun looks after a few hundred rounds, a nice sooty nose.

Thanks for the detailed post.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Nice, My HK45 is also a tack driver. Great pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I fired my recently aquired HK45 for the first time yesterday and I'm happy. After so many years of USPSA competition using 1911 type arms the HK45 was a breeze to step into.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The trigger will get a little better with time, you can install a USP match trigger to get the overtravel stop, I bought one and it's awaiting install, I've been busy getting familiar with the P30S...

As for the mag changes, what I prefer is using the middle finger of the shooting hand to actuate the paddle, I just didn't like my trigger finger moving toward the trigger area when it's supposed to be indexed out of the trigger guard.

As for the sights, I've been holding off on replacing mine as 10-8 is to be releasing a rear sight in the next month or so. I don't mind the front, and the luminous front with a black, wide notch rear might be a good mix.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The trigger will get a little better with time, you can install a USP match trigger to get the overtravel stop, I bought one and it's awaiting install,
I have been told that the USP match trigger will not fit. You can drill the trigger to get the over travel screw in there though.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great review! My 45c is more accurate than me. I wish you could review one.
Normally, i'm not a big fan of "compact" versions of pistols. The only one to date I have found that I like and can shoot as well as a full-size pistol is the Walther P88c. More often than not, the grips are too short for my comfort, and sub-compacts like the Glock 26/27 are completely out of the question. And in the case of the Glock 23/19, I find them no easier to conceal than my 22/17 given my method of carry.

I like the looks of the 45c and its dimensions. Unfortunately I have little need for a pistol of those specifications at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts