HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before I get scolded like a red headed stepchild , I DID do an archive search , & yes I know Grey Guns as well as a few others offer the trough/trench fix. It's just that I'd prefer to save the $75 for the work, as well as the crazy UPS overnight delivery service of over $100 each way.

Besides, I don't need any other service but the stupid (IMO) trigger trench smoothed out. So...

Want to ask if anyone has done this work themselves - what you used - what cautions would you have & how'd it turn out.

I have a drumel tool but thought maybe an Emory board + fine sandpaper might be safer. I'd hate to mess up the frame.

As an aside, HK's are my first entry into polymer pistols. While I've fired many of them, they all felt like an awkward brick in my hand till the P2000. Now I've taken the plunge to the HK45 Tactical, and it is a great shooter. But much like every gun I've ever owned there's always something about the design that just makes me wanna say WTF? And on the 45, it's the trench in the trigger guard. It's like the Germans just couldn't let a superior design into civilian hands without some torture test.

On my P2000 v1 40S&W it was the DA trigger pull. A fantastic gun, beautiful ergonomics, legendary durability - with that damn trigger.
Fixed that with a Wolf spring, but it just seems like the German engineers had to stick it to us, no matter what.

Okay - done ranting. My 2 HK's are still the pistols I'd carry into the Apocolypse ,I carry the 40 everyday- & as much as I love my Springfield TRP Operator, I'd probably trade it for a boatload more of ammo & food.

·
Banned
46 Posts
First of all, you don't need to send the complete pistol off somewhere and spend $100 because all you would need to send out is the frame. I had Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page do their Vickers mod on my HK 45 and I love it. Check it out.

If I'm not mistaken the "frame" is the part of the handgun that is ATF regulated (it has the serial number on it) and so forth and therefore is the "firearm" of the gun and therefore the common carriers require them to be shipped overnight. That's what their "policies" require, but it is of course up to you whether you wish to comply, or just ship it regular UPS or FedEx ground. Non FFLs can NOT use the USPS to ship handguns, period. The other option is to pay a FFL person $30 or whatever to pack it up in a USPS Priority mail box and ship FFL to FFL.

·
Banned
46 Posts
It doesnt have to be overnighted just sent two day.
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not true. The "common carriers" (FedEx and UPS) both require customers to ship HANDGUNS via overnight, and the frame of a handgun is the ATF regulated "firearm" part of a handgun, and so must be sent overnight. Again, it is merely their "policy" ... it is not against the law to ship something ground via a common carrier, but they will not allow you to insure it if you do, and won't cover a loss and you may get a sternly worded reprimand if they find out a handgun is in a regular ground shipping. If you are a FFL you can use USPS Priority Mail (two day).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. That was exactly what needed. Thanks ! I'm gonna do it myself. Great project while the TV is blaring some dribble. When I get it done I'll post an update here. Pics if I can

I think one day all pistols will be made like the dogs where the dieting mechanism can be easily removed from frame & is the only part concise red the " gun ".
But for this job , pretty sure I don't need a gunsmith, just some careful sanding.

It IS a great gun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay fellas, I think I solved the problem.
First, I only get the bite on the DA pull, like my P2000 the DA pull is God-awfull. My only real complaint with HK, at least these 2 I've had is the atrocious triggers.

If they ever convince their engineers to fix this, the grand or so for most HKs would seem cheap. Anyway, fixed the trigger on my P2000 with a wolf spring. On the 45, I use it cocked & locked like my 1911's so it is a non problem. On single action I am more inclined to use finger pad & it does not rub. So I'm leaving well enough alone. Thanks for the replies & info.

This is almost as easy to shoot at my TRP, & that's saying something for a polymer gun.
This is the one I'd take to war (OT..the Zombie Apocolypse )

·
Registered
351 Posts
The triggers can be improved greatly with two cheap springs. If that gully in the trigger guard bothered me I'd sand it slowly with fine sandpaper by hand and finish it up with 2K grit wet and lastly 3K grit wet sandpaper of needed. 3K might make it too smooth as to match the texture of the frame. It's such a simple job to do perfectly even if you have no experience with such things. Start with paper that takes time so you have to go slow. Tape any areas close to where you want to sand with electrical tape. This one is a DIY project.

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
On the 45, I use it cocked & locked like my 1911's so it is a non problem. On single action I am more inclined to use finger pad & it does not rub. So I'm leaving well enough alone. Thanks for the replies & info.

This is almost as easy to shoot at my TRP, & that's saying something for a polymer gun.
This is the one I'd take to war (OT..the Zombie Apocolypse )
OK, I was going to stay out of this thread, but I just can't resist.... I too carry both my full size and compact condition 1. My full size is my uniform duty gun, while the compact is either my secondary (in double action in this role)/back up, or my plain clothes gun (my current assignment is plain clothes. I agree in single action the HK45 trigger is excellent, regarding duty use/go to war gun. I won't blow smoke and tell you the single action trigger is as good as a tuned 1911, that simply is not true, but for a combat/hard use gun the single action is as close to perfect as you'll find on an out of the box gun.

Now, as for this trigger trough issue. Even shooting double action, I've never experienced this issue, and frankly I don't understand it? I am not the only guy in my department who carries the HK45, I am however the only one who carries it condition 1. I know other cops at other departments who carry the HK45. None of them experience this issue either? granted, the dozen or so guys I know who carry the HK45 for duty use is not representative of the entire HK45 population, but these are guys who carry it for a living and shoot volumes of ammo on a regular basis.

I posted about this before. I don't understand how your finger ends up so far down the trigger, if you have a proper high in the back strap grip? I admit the double action trigger pull is heavy, but it is supposed to be, it heavy for the same reason the double action pull on a Sig or any other reputable DA/SA hammer fired handgun has a heavy DA pull. So, to blame the heavy DA pull for the trough issue, is disingenuous.... I truly don't understand this issue? Not saying it is not real, because there seems to be plenty of shooters who experience it, I just don't get how/why?

OK, rant over

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I was going to stay out of this thread, but I just can't resist.... I too carry both my full size and compact condition 1. My full size is my uniform duty gun, while the compact is either my secondary (in double action in this role)/back up, or my plain clothes gun (my current assignment is plain clothes. I agree in single action the HK45 trigger is excellent, regarding duty use/go to war gun. I won't blow smoke and tell you the single action trigger is as good as a tuned 1911, that simply is not true, but for a combat/hard use gun the single action is as close to perfect as you'll find on an out of the box gun.

Now, as for this trigger trough issue. Even shooting double action, I've never experienced this issue, and frankly I don't understand it? I am not the only guy in my department who carries the HK45, I am however the only one who carries it condition 1. I know other cops at other departments who carry the HK45. None of them experience this issue either? granted, the dozen or so guys I know who carry the HK45 for duty use is not representative of the entire HK45 population, but these are guys who carry it for a living and shoot volumes of ammo on a regular basis.

I posted about this before. I don't understand how your finger ends up so far down the trigger, if you have a proper high in the back strap grip? I admit the double action trigger pull is heavy, but it is supposed to be, it heavy for the same reason the double action pull on a Sig or any other reputable DA/SA hammer fired handgun has a heavy DA pull. So, to blame the heavy DA pull for the trough issue, is disingenuous.... I truly don't understand this issue? Not saying it is not real, because there seems to be plenty of shooters who experience it, I just don't get how/why?

OK, rant over
I wondered if anyone carried the HK45 as a duty gun - I'm glad to see some do. I can't fully explain why my trigger finger would contact the trough, I've tried to see what happens and all I can guess is on the DA pull, my finger tends to slide down the curve of the trigger so that the very bottom side of my finger rubs along the edge of the trough. I REALLY dislike the DA pull on this gun. My issue may have been that I've almost always been able to choose my sidearm & it's been a 1911. In condition 1, the trigger of a good 1911 has a short pull to the break & is a much flatter trigger than the HK. Anyway, I've solved it by just treating this gun like a 1911 & use/carry it cocked & locked

Until recently, I never had an HK; my primary carry was a Springfield TRP Operator. Now I'm using the HK45, with a P2000 40cal as a concealed carry. These are my first polymer guns ever. And truth be told, it was dumb of me to wait so long to get them. Never liked the Glocks though many of my co-workers swear by them.

What turned me to HK was the extreme durability / dependability , reduced weight, with hammer fire. I let a few buddies fir the P2K 40 at the range & they joked that their Glocks felt clunky & like toys after. Of course there was one Glock "fan boy" who could see nothing good in the HK. We all are comfortable with different tools.

The HK45 is not a high end 1911, however , the extreme engineering of internals & durability/ dependably make it a confident choice for me in a 45 when I need it. Range & fun shooting with my 1911 will always be there for me. My 1911 has saved my life more than once. I've put 1000ds of rounds through it and it's tuned perfectly- but it was time to get with the times and go to HK's. Hopefully the HK will always stay on my hip, but if needed I'm confident it will performs it's intended function.

Thanks to all for their input
Ret

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.