HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a used HK 45 USP Tactical and of course the gun shop told me that it had less that two boxes of ammo through it. I believe it because the gun still had the original grease in it. Since then I had put about 300 rounds through it myself. Suppressed it has never malfunctioned. However non-suppressed it has had about 5 FTF's out of around 225 non-suppressed shots. The FTF is the slide does not go full into battery. I have to assist it by pushing the slide forward into battery. Any ideas on why this is happening? I hope this is not the reason the original owner traded it in. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried different ammo?
Actually, no. But why would that matter? After all it's just the slide failing to go forward into battery.

·
Registered
332 Posts
when is the FTF happening? first round, etc? is the weapon clean/ oiled- no excuse, i know; i expect my usp45t to run no matter what, just trying to get a clearer picture

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
does it do it with all magazines? is it a ftf or ftrb? they have different causes and solutions.
what ammo are you using? if handloads they may be loaded too long.
make sure you are not limp wristing. next time at the range have someone video you, even if it is with a cell camera.
in an extreme case you might need a new recoil spring.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shouldnt matter at all, just trying to eliminate variables
You are right. Thank you.

when is the FTF happening? first round, etc? is the weapon clean/ oiled- no excuse, i know; i expect my usp45t to run no matter what, just trying to get a clearer picture
It is intermittent. But it usually happens in the middle or towards the end of a magazine. It was well lubed and a clean weapon today. I was thinking the same thing, I want this thing to run perfectly matter what. All my other HK's do.

does it do it with all magazines? is it a ftf or ftrb? they have different causes and solutions.
what ammo are you using? if handloads they may be loaded too long.
make sure you are not limp wristing. next time at the range have someone video you, even if it is with a cell camera.
in an extreme case you might need a new recoil spring.
I was using PMC. I don't think I was limp wristing. I do not have a problem with my Mark 23 or my FNP45 tactical. I think I will definitely try some different ammo next time.

. Damn I want this thing to work right. Thanks fellas for all your input keep it coming.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The fact that takes away from most of these explanations is that the malfunction doors not occur while firing suppressed. Normally I would expect to see just the opposite. Can we assume that you were using the same ammo at all times? That one fact is what has me baffled on this one....

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
i have had ftrb issues with pmc in my 1911.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Weak mag spring from being fully loaded too long or maybe someone kept the slide racked for an extended period of time weakening the recoil spring

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Magazine spring could be old and worn out. I might add ammo that is too long could also cause this issue, but since you ran the same ammo suppressed and had no issues I think that is out of the question.

The odd thing as has already been mentioned is usually the failures in suppressed VS non suppressed are the other way around..........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Weak mag springs not suspect, recoil spring being weak would show MORE under suppressed fire, ammo would be suspect if malfunctioning no matter what, and limp wristing certainly would be more detrimental under suppressed fire. I'm still at a loss Patton.....maybe another range session doing the same exercises and paying close attention to which mags do it and mix up the ammo selection to further rule any of that out. Seems very strange indeed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fact that takes away from most of these explanations is that the malfunction doors not occur while firing suppressed. Normally I would expect to see just the opposite. Can we assume that you were using the same ammo at all times? That one fact is what has me baffled on this one....
I have been using the same ammo the whole time. I bought a 1000 rounds of PMC a while back and that is what I've been using.

i have had ftrb issues with pmc in my 1911.
Ftrb???? What does that mean. Sorry.

Weak mag spring from being fully loaded too long or maybe someone kept the slide racked for an extended period of time weakening the recoil spring
I don't think these mags have been left loaded. Definitely not by me. The slide has definitely not been kept back either.

Magazine spring could be old and worn out. I might add ammo that is too long could also cause this issue, but since you ran the same ammo suppressed and had no issues I think that is out of the question.

The odd thing as has already been mentioned is usually the failures in suppressed VS non suppressed are the other way around..........
I find that odd also. I have only shot it about 75 times suppressed. Not one failure when doing so. I am using a SWR HEMS II suppressor by the way.
Weak mag springs not suspect, recoil spring being weak would show MORE under suppressed fire, ammo would be suspect if malfunctioning no matter what, and limp wristing certainly would be more detrimental under suppressed fire. I'm still at a loss Patton.....maybe another range session doing the same exercises and paying close attention to which mags do it and mix up the ammo selection to further rule any of that out. Seems very strange indeed.
I am definitely going to take this back to the range soon. I will try 100 rounds of different ammo. The good news is that I didn't fire my SMG today, 400 rounds worth of 9 mm and that went very very well.

Thank you fellas for all your advice. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had a similar problem early on with a USP45 I had bought brand new. I had it narrowed down to one magazine out of the three I had been using. The other two where the brand new ones that came with the NEW USP and the one was a spare that I had that hed been a year old and used many times. sometimes a new gun is tighter than older magazines. I replaced all the spring on my mags and sent the extractor to HK (in case it was out of spec) got a new extractor (however HK said the one I sent was fine but sent me a new one anyways) and the problem hasn't occured again in over 800 rounds using 3 different kinds of target ammo...

Try to narrow it down to a specific magazine. If not it could be an out of spec extractor. Talk to HK CS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts