HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be receiving my kit from HK either today or tomorrow to convert my 45c to an LEM trigger. Would some of you that know give some pros and cons for removing the safety and leaving it on. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good question, I need the same answer to my HK45C. So far, HK customer service told me it is not going to work. LEM no external safety if I want LEM trigger.

Vodek

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Nobody can answer that for you since it is totally a personal choice. The LEM without a safety is as safe as it can be so long as you practice safe gun handling. Some will tell you not to install the safety because you might forget to take it off in an emergency. That will not happen if you have trained any at all. I cannot remember the last time I consciously took off my safety when doing drills. When you have made up your mind to shoot, you draw and remove the safety at the same time. That's the way I have trained for many years so when I converted my USPC from V1 to LEM, it only made since to leave the safety on the pistol. That way there was no change in my training and I did not have to retrain my muscle memory. Believe it or not, muscle memory is a big deal. When working with the P2K it was a very odd feeling doing drills. It seemed something was not quite right. Something was missing. Oh yah, the safety!
I have not tried to convert the HK45 to LEM with safety but they USPC and the HK45 are so similar I don't see why it wouldn't work on it also, and I know HK does the retained safety on the LEM conversion with the USP and USPC.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can't really argue with Big Bores points, but like he said it is personal prefference. When I got my p2k It was my first carry gun with out a safety. Talk about checking double checking then tripple checking it everytime I carried it. Then I just got comfortable with it knowing its not going to go boom unless you pull the trigger. So make sure you have a good holster, and god forbid you fat finger it and it starts to fall to the ground. "LET IT FALL" don't try to grab because you may grab the trigger and go boom. So know all my other HK's except for the tatical are LEM triggers. Hope this helps

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been faced with this decision on my USPc45. It arrived as an LEM when I had ordered a V1. I went ahead and accepted it, shot it and now really dig the LEM trigger. I've been toying with the cost of adding the manual safety-only.

Since then, I've been carrying it in my MTAC iwb holster. I've not had any issues with it while handling it. I had been carrying Glocks with one in the pipe and never felt good about it. My biggest issue had always been reholstering. With Glock I was always overly paranoid. With the USPc, I can put my thumb on the hammer and as long as I'm careful, it's not a problem. I'm no longer overly paranoid.

It just comes down to personal choice. I feel very safe in my current LEM configuration. As they say, keep your booger hook off the trigger and the gun no go boom. The cost to add that safety was way too much so far. Was I investing in converting a V1 to LEM, I'd have a manual safety put on it. Big Bore stated it quite well. Practice makes permanent.

Plus adding that safety makes the pistol a bit thicker if you're using it as your CCW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I hope fully will be making the conversion today!!! Then I'm going to the range. :28:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would not add an external safety with an LEM trigger. This is my opinion on any firearm that is carried. The safety is just one more thing to fail.

However, I have no issues with an external safety if it's just a range gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally don't see a need for an external safety lever on the HK45C LEM. I was also told by H&K and Bill Springfield that the safety cannot be added to a HK45 series pistol with the LEM kit. I carry a HK45C LEM daily for almost a year now and I could not imagine it with the safetylever being any benefit. But that is just me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
For me... NO.

The reason I choose the LEM was the absence of the safety lever.

This is a personal preference, one that needs thought.

P.S. If you don't like it, it can always be converted back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After putting the LEM trigger in without the safety and shootining it, I too see no reason to have the safety. I don't feel any less safe than I did before and alway treat the gun with the respect it deserves.

By the way, I love the trigger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts