HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So I just sold, and got a good trade on it too, an HK45c. Why? Well the trigger stacked like crazy. A heavy trigger I can handle, but this wasn't just heavy. It almost seemed gritty with how much it stacked. But I still want a 45 and I still like HKs more than anything and I like keeping one manual of arms. I tried a USPc 45 in the store yesterday and the trigger seemed infinitely smoother by comparison. So I'm in debate about getting a USPc 45 or another HK45c. Why would I get another? Well, I have a P2000 which I love and I'd like to keep the same feel. My concern is the USPc grip on bare skin as I carry under a t-shirt. That and I find with the Large backstrap the P2000 is almost molded to my hand. Also, I can't seem to find a lot of reports about people finding the HK45c trigger stacking much more so than any other HK. Now I bought the gun used. It almost makes me wonder if the idiot who owned it before me maybe did some sort of conversion that went badly.

So, for those that have handled both, how would you compare the triggers on both? Do you find one noticeably worse on one or better on the other? Weight isn't so much my concern as stacking. It can be 12 lbs for all I care as long as it is smooth.

Thanks for giving the crazy guy time,
-TR

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I'll be one to tell you, the DA trigger on the HK45c is the worst of all of my HK's. It isn't anything that can't be dealt with and it is surely nothing to write home about. Have you considered LEM?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at least someone told me :). I have tried LEM in a P2000 at one point. I'm a dyed in the wool DA/SA guy. I have nothing against LEM as a system. However I have no problem with DA pulls after spending months working on that system. I've owned SIGs, Berettas, FNs, HKs, etc. all in DA/SA and I am not about to change my system now. I have no issue with my P2000 DA/SA or the USPc 45 DA/SA that I tried. If it wasn't just my one gun then I think I will go the USPc route.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Who needs double action trigger pulls, there's a reason they have a cocked and locked option with the right variant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I own an HK45c and a USP45CT (basically a compact with a threaded barrel), and the USP45CT has a MUCH nicer trigger on it, in both DA and SA. Go figure. Maybe because it's made in Germany? Who knows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Once you learn the LEM it's hard to ever go back, the only trigger I prefer is my Les Baer.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Could they do anything for it if you sent it to Grey Guns? Just a thought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have only handled a HK45 in the store and the trigger was not as smooth as my USP 45 compact, I thought it was just me.
but I can tell you i carry a IWB holster and carry everyday and have worked in bad areas and carried for up to 10 hours a day and never had any problems with the USP grip rubbing me .I did laugh pretty hard at the Made in Germany Just like when Sigs started being made here the wires got crossed somehow and it is just not the same as the true German made weapons

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hated my HK45c DA trigger so I gave in and converted to LEM - love it! And I was a big DA/SA fan. The rest of my HK's are DA/SA but they were not near as bad as my 45c...they may end up as LEM's as well :-O

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
However I have no problem with DA pulls after spending months working on that system.
(Emphasis added) Therein lies the issue with DA/SA or DAO.

Yep, you can master it. But few folks have the time and ammunition to do it well. The Single Action type pistols are much easier to master and maintain skills. These include the M1911, Glock, M&P, and HK Light LEM triggers. (Standard -- heavy -- LEM is no better than a 9 pound DAO trigger).

It's nice to have choices.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nah, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DA/SA guy like the OP, too. I learned how to shoot with a Sig Sauer back before they came out with their DAK system so that's the first system that I was comfortable with and haven't been compelled to change. I don't worry about the DA trigger pull because I never shoot it in DA mode. Sig and HK's SA pulls are just way too good.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(Emphasis added) Therein lies the issue with DA/SA or DAO.

Yep, you can master it. But few folks have the time and ammunition to do it well. The Single Action type pistols are much easier to master and maintain skills. These include the M1911, Glock, M&P, and HK Light LEM triggers. (Standard -- heavy -- LEM is no better than a 9 pound DAO trigger).

It's nice to have choices.

-- Chuck
I really don't think it takes as long as people think. It didn't take me all that time to master it, though I wouldn't call myself a master. I just mean I've been using that system for so long that I have no desire to change and I personally prefer the DA/SA system to others.

I kind of worry when I read people complaining about having to train, I don't think that's what you yourself are doing here but I have seen it elsewhere. To me if you're going to carry a firearm you should be training with it, regardless of the trigger system. I will admit that DA/SA takes more work than others, but it certainly won't bankrupt you. I see a lot of people buy a DA/SA pistol, go the range, and only shoot in SA. That's not going to help you at all. I also found that working on my hand strength, Pro-Hands supporter here, made a drastic difference in my ability to shoot DA/SA. That effort wasn't wasted either for other trigger systems either, as I can go pick up safe-action or LEM style triggers and shoot them better than before.

Again I have no problem with LEM, shoot what you like. But I think people make DA/SA out to be more of a challenge than it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts