HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HK 51K Update - Project Complete!

Hello Owners of HK 51Ks:

I am starting the process of a HK 51K build and hoped to get some ideas/thoughts/advice from those of you who have either built or purchased one in the past. My plan so far is the following:

Any thoughts, tips, tricks do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
^^ You don't want to just use a clone for it instead of cutting down a hk 91 factory gun? I've just always assumed that 51k's would end up being beater guns if actually used a decent amount. I have two 51k hosts...neither from a factory 91. But I guess it all depends on how pure is pure , clone v. factory hk...but with 922r pure aint pure anymore regardless. And I'm not trying to inject/re-start the evergoing 922r debate or anything....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Don't cut up a HK91. Sell it if you must. Just don't cut it up. They are fewer and fewer in this world everyday.

:frown:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, Gents. I knew it may seem abhorrent to some and that I would get some criticism for moving in this direction, but I am set on using the 91 for the conversion.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well do as you want, it is your toy and it will be cool. Personally I would say to save the 91 reciever for a G3K conversion. The 51k is really an american invention so using the HK reciever doesnt really mean a whole lot purist wise, but if you used it on a G3K then you are keeping as true to recreating a rarer HK platform.

And I would suggest a purpose built barrel instead on cutting down the original barrel.

Enjoy the 51k, am enjoying mine. Keeps your face warm while firing it on a cold day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with the rest 100% G3K for the 91, clone receiver for the 51k... Those were never made by HK anyway, not as important to keep pure, IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I tend to say "do what YOU want" it's your money. Having said that, if it was MY HK91 I would go the G3K route which was a German product.

Use a PTR for your "HK"51 project.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyone's responses. What did Fleming use for their original 51K guns? A true 91 or something else?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP, what are you using for the carrier?

<<<<Now that's a 51k :)
At this time the plan is to modify the factory HK91 carrier for use in the 51K. I've seen your 51K in many posts while doing research for this project. Very nice!

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Stay strong troops! Be persistent. We CAN talk him into our plan!!!!
Someone use their Jedi mind tricks on him.
Ha! You've got my wheels spinning, for sure. Even though it wasn't a "true" HK platform, I want the gun to be original or as-close to how Fleming/Vollmer did their 51s and 51Ks. After some further research, it appears the majority I can find photos of are original HK receivers.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I tend to say "do what YOU want" it's your money. Having said that, if it was MY HK91 I would go the G3K route which was a German product.

Use a PTR for your "HK"51 project.
This exactly. Build your 91 into a G3k and go PTR for the 51k (i've never held a 91 that didn't want to be a G3k)...Now you have 2 awesome hosts.. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
At the time they were doing their conversions you may have only had HK91, FMP, and EBO produced rifles in the pool of candiates to choose from. Today we have the advantage of several variations of flats and completed clone recievers from a number of talented builders. The builders you hope to emulate were breaking the mold and converting existing. We have the advantage of building in what may in the future be considered the Golden Age of HK clone building. Between people stepping up to make US made copies of near HK unobtanium and those dedicated pro builders, combined with dwindling original parts availability.....

My 51k build is easier to list the original parts than the US made stuff, part of reason for the argument that a 51k build is not really a purist platform. Whereas the G3K your 922 parts will be the modified and not obvious. US made parts.

51k parts
Custom cocking tube from new made tubing
Carrier modified by Lee tool to a shorty
Cocking support used HK33 cut apart and rewelded
Triple tree drilled out to fit RCM barrel
Barrel, RCM 51K length barrel
HKparts net flat
Vector (?) pistol backplate, modified for collapsable recoil rod.
Customized buffer and buffer extension to move buffer forward.
Cutting reciever cocking lever and channel back above mag well.
Paddlemag bushing/install
NEW US made forearm.

I respect your vision to recreate an early custom HK but realistically there is not much that is not touched, modified, converted on a 51k build. If you saved the 91 for the G3K and had it converted aside from 922 parts and cutting down the barrel it would still be a highly desirable HK.

Definitely keep us posted with pics on your final product from IGF. We will still ogle and drool on our keyboards

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The history I have heard of the 51 is they weren't created by HK but were made (in the U.K.) for U.K. special operators to use in Northern Ireland to break up ambushes when operating out of vehicles. The significant report and muzzle flash were the key characteristics of the gun in that role. If I was building a 51 I would look to Dakota Tactical if Joe is still making them, he has published some of his work and I think it is a logical "standard" following advances from the Flemming/Volmer days.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Ha! You've got my wheels spinning, for sure. Even though it wasn't a "true" HK platform, I want the gun to be original or as-close to how Fleming/Vollmer did their 51s and 51Ks. After some further research, it appears the majority I can find photos of are original HK receivers.
When Fleming and Vollmer were building these original 91 and FMP host guns were the same price as a PTR today.
The reason all the pics you find showing them built on original HK receivers is because that's all there was. Flat's and bare receivers didn't exist.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Please don't chop of a 91. :)

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The history I have heard of the 51 is they weren't created by HK but were made (in the U.K.) for U.K. special operators to use in Northern Ireland to break up ambushes when operating out of vehicles. The significant report and muzzle flash were the key characteristics of the gun in that role. If I was building a 51 I would look to Dakota Tactical if Joe is still making them, he has published some of his work and I think it is a logical "standard" following advances from the Flemming/Volmer days.
Interesting, for sure. I do like Joe's work but the turnaround for such a project at this time is lengthy.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When Fleming and Vollmer were building these original 91 and FMP host guns were the same price as a PTR today.
The reason all the pics you find showing them built on original HK receivers is because that's all there was. Flat's and bare receivers didn't exist.
I totally get it, believe me. I know you guys are trying to slap some sense into me but I am pretty set on using the 91 receiver.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts