HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought, but not received it yet, an HK 770. I've been on the lookout for a SL7, but got a smoking deal I could not pass up, HK scope mount with a Leupold scope, 2 10rnd & 2 3rnd mags, for $1275.
I believe it's the shorter barrel without the MB, I was wondering how much it weighs, and what kind of recoil this will have? And how heavy is the trigger pull on theese, and can it be adjusted?
Thanks in advance for any input.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=56751259

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nice deal!

These rifles shoot like a dream, and have a very good trigger pull. I am unsure if you can adjust (doubt it unless you have a trigger job done) but I never had to, the pull is smooth for a semi-auto. They are a heavy rifle to carry around all day, but worth it as they tend to be very accurate.

Good find, you'll love it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Trigger's are non adjustable. And you don't want it messed up because they are pricey as hell to replace.

If you wanted it smoothed, I'd contact Bill Springfield.

If you try a do-it-yourself job, or hand it off to someone who doesn't know how these packs operate, you'll end up with smooth pull, but a safety that is a bear to move.
BTW, good catch on the rifle. That was a good price for that setup. If you feel the need to part with a 10-rounder for an obscenely low price...please...let me know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trigger's are non adjustable. And you don't want it messed up because they are pricey as hell to replace.

If you wanted it smoothed, I'd contact Bill Springfield.

If you try a do-it-yourself job, or hand it off to someone who doesn't know how these packs operate, you'll end up with smooth pull, but a safety that is a bear to move. (Long story short...remove material from the hammer's hook that engages the sear and the hammer will ride higher in the gun, and be in the wrong alignment with the safety lever for proper operation.

I know all this because the previous owner of my rifle did just that. Bill was able to help me get it into good shape... but if I ever sell my 770, I'll probably buy a new trigger pack for it so I don't have to explain what the last guy did.

I'll let you know that since I figured this out with my rifle, I've run into at least one more that I immediately knew had a trigger job done...poorly.

BTW, good catch on the rifle. That was a good price for that setup. If you feel the need to part with a 10-rounder for an obscenely low price...please...let me know.
I've used Bill for several other trigger jobs, He was who I had in mind. It's good to know he's familiar with them.
I'll let you know if I decide to part with a mag.
Thanks for the replies, bama

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice job. That 770 went for a very low price.

IMO the HK 770/SL7 are still the best semi auto hunting rifles in the world.

I wish they were still made today, they are WAY better than any Browning or Remington.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Where does the 770 send the ejected shells?

Asking as a left handed shooter, if it sends them to the side or forward that would be great, back is bad because it usually means brass in the face.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The trajectory I've observed is up and forward. brass lands maybe 15-20 yards away at 2:00 or so. While that's where it lands, when it gets ripped out of the gun, it gets bounced off the receiver... not sure how close to your nose that would be on left-handed shooter.

·
2,832 Posts
same as a HK91...or Sl7....just like most HK's

The trajectory I've observed is up and forward. brass lands maybe 15-20 yards away at 2:00 or so. While that's where it lands, when it gets ripped out of the gun, it gets bounced off the receiver... not sure how close to your nose that would be on left-handed shooter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How accurate are these rifles?
Accurate(1.5-2 moa). Very accurate once you find which ammo it likes. For me the SL7s have always been a little more accurate than the 770s I've owned over the years. The SLs' all seemed to have had smoother triggers than the 770s. Just my opinion though, I've never had the pulls checked on any of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HK 770

Hi i shoot and hunt with a 770, yes is does have some weight to it, though having humped a SLR (British FN FAL) around New Zealand close and open country this rifle is really no effort. It shoots Sellior and Bellot 150gr into 20mm groups no problem. I havn't tried anything else so can't comment on potenial accuracy. Stripping does take some getting used to, though there is enough info on this website to help out. I've dealt with M16, SLR, Steyr and SA80 without too much trouble, the HK770 did involve some bleeding ha ha.
Enjoy your 770 its a reliable shooter and one i enjoy using on rabbits through to Himalayan Thar.
Safe hunting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome to the forum outdoorsbloke! Nice to hear a report from your neck of the woods. All the 770's and SL-7's I've owned over the years have shot the 150gr bullets more accurately than the heavier grains.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 770 preferred 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips. It was so accurate with that round that I never tried another type or grain of bullet in it. Great rifle, PITA to field strip and clean would be my only complaint.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 770 preferred 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips. It was so accurate with that round that I never tried another type or grain of bullet in it. Great rifle, PITA to field strip and clean would be my only complaint.
+1!

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
As to "Grouchy's" question I'm a left handed shooter and own/shot multiple of these rifles without any problems ejecting except finding my brass. They eject the brass a long way, so be prepared to explain at the range if someone sits to your right about 30' away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw a 770 at the Little Rock gunshow last weekend and I seem to recall the price was around $1800 - the rifle, one magazine and no scope or scope mount. Sounds like an excellent deal to me for what the original poster paid for his.
Hey Carl, nice to hear there's interest in the '770' still out there. I picked mine up for $1100 NZ with HK05 mount, old Luepold 4 power scope and 3 round mag.
As an aside, what sort of range finding scope (non laser) would you recommend? ie a range finding reticle like the Lynx NATO type/ SVD range finding reticle.
Thanks in advance for your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts